Beatles Mono question

Guy 13

Re: Beatles Mono question
« Reply #20 on: Today at 03:40 am »

Hi all.
Mono vs Stereo ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npvsGRonfcM

I find this interesting, according to the video and author
look like over all the stereo version is a little better ???

Guy 13

sfox7076

« Reply #21 on: Today at 03:46 am »
I disagree.  I like the mono much better than the stereo. 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • primeVibe Seasons String Instruments
« Reply #22 on: Today at 04:00 am »
I disagree.  I like the mono much better than the stereo.

DSA Dynamic Sounds Assoc. played Beatles mono at 2014 RMAF, most or all tube gear, $2k mono cart, TAD CRM1 speakers.  Probably the best reproduced sound I ever heard.  Reminds me of direct mic feed Tower of Power at Sausalito Record Plant.  I can not list enough superlatives, absolutely mind boggling performance, dynamics like I never heard before, etc, etc...also indeed would not say flat like you might suspect is mono.  It was more like raising the dead with George and John in the room playing and singing for us.  Honestly never heard anything so realistic ever, and I've heard IRS III set up well in dedicated listening room with DAT source.  It's worth it to fly as far as needed to hear this demo again, or one like it.  I was shocked at the performance level, and believe me, was not expecting it to be that good.

David Skolnick (sp?) of DSA told me himself that Beatles mono was cut with a stereo head, and believe it or not they plan future release cut with a mono head, which shall be even higher performance.   

gnuyork

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:02 am »
My friend bought one of the new Beatles Mono records and we gave it a quick listen on his stereo rig. I thought it sounded great. Maybe it would be better with a mono cart, but the stereo cart sounded fantastic.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Where Home demo rules
« Reply #24 on: Today at 02:04 pm »
  Mono should be as advertised mono. The sellers should specify on the cover that it was cut with a stereo. I was going to make the plunge now after hearing what James knows I'm waiting for he true mono to appear. Yes I use a mono cart on one TT and a stereo on another. Huge results.

charles

gnuyork

« Reply #25 on: Today at 02:05 pm »
[
...I'm waiting for he true mono to appear.

I think you'll be waiting for a long time.

Edit: never mind -  I didn't see there was a planned release on a mono cutting device.

Davey

« Reply #26 on: Today at 02:26 pm »
I've been out of the LP loop for too long.  :)

A (true) mono cartridge has the motor structure orientated so vertical stylus movement will not generate any voltage??

These Beatles pressings are cut completely symmetrically so that (other than warp) no vertical movement of the stylus would happen?

Dave.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Where Home demo rules
« Reply #27 on: Today at 02:29 pm »
Patience is a virtue. Maybe it is time to inquire with the makers to find out the deal. I wonder how many other mono reissues are cut with a stereo cutter.
charles