I have ordered a Pioneer PLX-1000 direct drive turntable.....

Blackmore, pumpkinman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Read 198 times.

Wayner

• Audio by Van Alstine Industry Participant
Because no one else has bought one, and I think I need one more TT (this will be #9), I have decided to buy this much anticipated DD table. I have already drawn lines in the sand for this table, and if it doesn't perform to my utmost expectations, its going back. I got it for $699, with free shipping and a 1 year extended warranty (to 2 years).

The cartridges that will be installed in it will be the Grado Gold1 Longhorn, the Audio Technica AT440MLa and the Grado Master Reference/Statement. I will try to give a non-buttered up review when this process is complete. Stereophile magazine said that this is the table to buy if you are in the <$2,000 market (who isn't). There is a rather bad video on it concerning feedback, but I don't listen at disco levels, nor do I have my speakers pointed at the table.

So, here we go.......

'ner

WGH

• Artwork that Opens and Closes
    • WGH Woodworking
Looking forward to your review. Hope it is not too hard to return after you fill the plinth with Plasti-Clay.   :)

Wayne

Wayner

It already weighs 28.8 pounds......but you just gave me an idea!

NIGHTFALL1970

I can't wait for your review.  I was thinking about buying one myself, but I really want to do the CF upgrade on my AVA Fet Valve preamp first.

harley52

Forgive me, is this a used TT? The "ordered" has me wondering
Thanks,

Never mind I didn't know that Pioneer was doing anything with TT's other than some cheapie they have for the non-professional.

steve f

Wayner , I'll be watching for your review. I've cut back to only three turntables, Oracle Delphi, Technics SP-25, and a  Revox  linear tracker. Gave my son my old AR XA with Formula IV arm. Sold the Empire, and Thorens 125.

That means I'm due for another one. Unlike a lot of audiophools, I really like a good direct drive turntable. The thing that's lacking in a lot of arms including some very pricey ones is the lack of adjustable VTA on the fly. I don't know if the Pioneer will be a substitute for a Technics or Denon. I'm hoping you can give lots of details.

steve

Wayner

Forgive me, is this a used TT? The "ordered" has me wondering
Thanks,

Never mind I didn't know that Pioneer was doing anything with TT's other than some cheapie they have for the non-professional.

Forgive me Harley52, I should have been more clear on that. Here is a photo of this new turntable from Pioneer. It was designed to replace the discontinued Technics SL1200MKII.

I.Greyhound Fan

I am very interested in this TT but it is damn ugly, but if it sounds great, that's all that matters.  I wonder how it would compare to my Thorens TD-145.

charmerci

I'm a bit confused about the love for DD TT's.  :scratch:

I remember in the 80's that DD tables were not audiophile approved.  :nono:

RDavidson

I'm a bit confused about the love for DD TT's.  :scratch:

I remember in the 80's that DD tables were not audiophile approved.  :nono:

Like most things, there are strengths and weaknesses, thus you'll see polarized views and preferences. I think DD TT's carry a certain stigma largely due to the spread of these "expert" opinions.

The latest Stereophile review of the PLX1000 does a good job of explaining and making good comparisons.

steve f

Re: I have ordered a Pioneer PLX-1000 direct drive turntable.....
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 11:29 pm »
There were some really bad DD turntables in the 80s. There were some bad belt drive units too. The very best DD turntables had a lot better specs than any belt drive made.

Just audio bs that they couldn't work well. Now idler wheels are making a comeback. I can't imagine why.

steve