Benz-Micro cart?

SET Man

Benz-Micro cart?
« on: 22 Feb 2007, 03:13 am »
Hey!

Well, there have lots of talk about cart like Grado and Dynavector here. But I'm wondering how these Swiss made Benz-Micro carts compare to others.

More specifically I'm looking at the Benz-Micro "Ace" high output model of which is within my price range especially after trade-in at $450 :D

So, any happy Benz-Micro user out there? Or anyone that have used this brand... even better this model? Any experience and comment?

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

mgalusha

Re: Benz-Micro cart?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2007, 04:25 am »
Buddy,

I have a Scheu which is a modified Benz Glider. It replaced a Grado Reference series Platinum and I've had no desire to put the Grado back in. I haven't owned any other Benz cartridges but I have heard Ruby 3 and it was very nice though horribly expensive.

If the Ace is anything like their other cartridges it should work nicely. The Shelter 501 is also very nice.

Mike

Sarmck

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2007, 05:16 am »
Buddy,

Here is part of an email I recently sent to Richard at Signature Sound after his recommendation of the Benz Micro Ace LO...

"Just an update on the cartridge you recommended, the Benz ACE Low output cartridge.  In three words, "THANKS SO MUCH".   It probably took a good 15-20 hours before it really began to open up and come alive.  I had a few friends over a couple of Sundays ago and the cart changed for the better during that vinyl listening session.  The cymbals had a realistic shimmer, air, and decay to them, female vocals were seductive, the whole sound-stage increased in depth and width...of course that's just my humble opinion.   This is not intended to say the low end was lacking, it was not.  Yeah vinyl.  I'm sure it will continue to increase my enjoyment level as the cart continues to "break-in"...."

My other cart experiences have been with the Sumiko BluePoint Special and Audio Technical OC9.  Both were fine carts.  The ACE LO is definitely a step up IMHO.  My vinyl rig is a SOTA Sapphire TT/Benz ACE LO cart/834P phono preamp (Cryoed TungSol 12AX7 x 3).

Ron

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2007, 06:39 am »
Hey!

Thanks Mike and Ron :D

Hey! Ron, what is a coincident! What I have or should I say had..... BPS cart also.

Well, I'm very very embarrass to say that earlier tonight I broke the cantilever of my BPS EVOIII while cleaning the shelf and the TT  :oops:  :duh: :banghead: :slap: :bawl: :cuss:

Man! this is the second one I broke so far :? I better stop cleaning my TT  :icon_lol:

Ron also I have the Audio Note M1 pre amp with 4 12AX7 in the phonostage! And like I said I had BPS EVOIII. But my TT is moded or should I say transformed Rega Planar 2 with RB250 arm.

Anyway, I rarely see people here talk about Benz-Micro. But since you two are happy with your and Ron previous cart was BPS like my I think I will get the ACE High Output than :D

BTW.... how many ohm do you load your cart anywhere?

Take care,

akmal00

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2007, 02:29 pm »
Hi SET man,

Sorry to hear re your cartridge. Anyway that's a good reason for you to change to a Benz Ace. To add on to what the others said about the Benz. I already used two Benz. Firstly was the MC20 E II. Few weeks ago traded in that for the Ace Low. Immediately, there so much improvement. IMHO the Benz are very musical and sweet sounding. I have used Audio Technicas MM and MC (OC3 only) in the past and the Benz are way better in terms of musical presentation and vocal sweetness. However I am changing a few things in my system currently, so hard to put the finger which is making the most improvement. Hard to fight this bug called "upgrade-itis". Hope you'll have the same good experience with the Benz. In my phono stage I used the 68 db gain. Not sure the loading in Ohms though.

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2007, 06:36 pm »
Buddy,

Here is part of an email I recently sent to Richard at Signature Sound after his recommendation of the Benz Micro Ace LO...

....female vocals were seductive, ...

Ron

Hi SET man,

Sorry to hear re your cartridge. Anyway that's a good reason for you to change to a Benz Ace. To add on to what the others said about the Benz. I already used two Benz. ...Benz are way better in terms of musical presentation and vocal sweetness...

Hey!

Thanks akmal00 :D Yeah this is the second cart I broke within 5 years time.... not good :roll: Maybe I should stick with the cheap 'ol Grado "Black"  :icon_lol: Well, long story :wink:

I just bought the ACE High Output version and it should be here on Saturday or Monday :D So far I have two person say good things about this family of cart and especially good midrange. And personally I put a high value on midrange... if you can't get the mid right than nothing else matter. :D Maybe that's why I have SET amps + Single Driver Speaker :wink:

The BPS EVOIII that I broke were very nice. Great tracker, and dynamic with good low end. But the mid and high could be better. :?

BTW... it would be great to see how much other load this cart on their phono pre... of cause the High Output version will need to be load higher at 1000ohm+

Well, let's wait and see...  :wink:

Take care,

TheChairGuy

« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2007, 09:53 pm »
Buddy,

The Music Direct catalog actually lists recommended load impedance for the High Output ACE at 1K (1000ohms)

That makes sense as, rule of thumb, the load impedance (for a MC) should be about 10x it's internal DC resistance.  Most of the higher output MC's have an internal DC resistance of about 80 ohms.

The low and medium output versions are listed at 100 and 200 ohms, respectively.

Loading the ACE at 47K will give you 'expansive' 'flowing' sound (bass will sound a bit flaccid, too), at the expense of some tightness (kick drums, snares, etc are damped and tighter, to be sure) and focus.  That's exactly what I found with my Ortofon X5-MC (2.0 mv and 80 ohms resistance).

Good luck - so many have said they are just great, great cartridges at all their price levels  :thumb:

andyr

« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2007, 10:58 pm »
Hey!

Well, there have lots of talk about cart like Grado and Dynavector here. But I'm wondering how these Swiss made Benz-Micro carts compare to others.

So, any happy Benz-Micro user out there? Or anyone that have used this brand... even better this model? Any experience and comment?

Take care,
Hi Buddy,

I've used Benz carts for over 15 years - using their trade-in/upgrade service sometimes, rather than just getting a retip.  So I currently have the Ebony LP ... all I can say is, this is one helluva nice cartridge!!   :o   :D

And their retipping/upgrade charges are very reasonable IMO.  :)

Regards,

Andy

Sarmck

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2007, 01:37 am »

I just bought the ACE High Output version and it should be here on Saturday or Monday :D So far I have two person say good things about this family of cart and especially good midrange. And personally I put a high value on midrange... if you can't get the mid right than nothing else matter. :D Maybe that's why I have SET amps + Single Driver Speaker....

BTW... it would be great to see how much other load this cart on their phono pre... of cause the High Output version will need to be load higher at 1000ohm+    

To be quite honest, I'm not sure what the cart is loaded at.   :dunno:   I'm just appreciating the "load" it reproduces in my system.   :drool:

Ron

SET Man

« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2007, 07:02 am »
Hey!

Andy, seem like you are very happy with the Benz-Micro carts over the years. Great! Another happy user... that is a good :D

TCG.... yes I did check that out. I think I will load it as recommended by the Benz at 1K ohms. I have to check my audio parts box and see if I have a pair of 1K ohms resistors. 

Well, time to open up my pre-amp and change the loading resistor :D

Take care,

Wardsweb

-
« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2007, 03:53 am »
I presently run a Benz Micro Glider and love it.

Before that I ran a Benz Micro M09 for years until it needed retipping.

Before that my old trusty Rega ran an Audio Note IQ-II

SET Man

« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb 2007, 06:32 pm »
I'd like to know from the Benz owners if they use the Lo, medium or High output version, and what one might expect the differences to be between them provided one owns a phono preamp that can accommodate them all?

Hey!

Okay! it is here! :hyper: I got it yesterday. Came in little box with a good stylus brush and even with a little bull-eye bubble level.... pretty neat.

Good question tvad4. :D But it will be hard to find someone with exprience with 2 different output version of the same cart. :? I for once can only use HO version... unless I get a step-up transformer  . Than I could get the LO version.

But I'm really more interested in how other load their cart. Especially for the same cart I have ACE HO version. :D

I will install the ACE HO today. Benz-Micro recommend load of 1k to 47k ohms. BUt I will use it with 47k load as it with my Audio Note M1 right now. Than I will find a pair of 1K resistors in my parts box and see how it sound with 1K load. But it won't be easy since I have to open the pre up, unmount the PCB, desolder the resistors and solder in the 1K. :? :roll:

Let's see....

Take care,

SET Man

« Reply #12 on: 27 Feb 2007, 12:54 am »
Hey!

Guys! I've installed my new Benz-Micro "ACE" HO cart yesterday and tonight is the second nights listening to this cart :D

I didn't change the load of my pre so it is still at 47K of which is most likely to be use with this HO cart type. So far so good. Don't want to say much right now since it is not fully broken in yet. :D Benz-Micro recommend 40 hrs break in period. :wink:

Anyway, since my previous cart was Sumiko "Blue Point Special EVOIII" And these two carts are about the same price. I think I will write a short review and comparison between the two carts soon. I will give the ACE time to break in as recommend by the Benz :D

Stay tune.... :wink:

Take care,

TheChairGuy

« Reply #13 on: 27 Feb 2007, 02:01 am »
Yeah, I for one, would love to see that head-to-head of two good combatants, Buddy  :thumb:

SET Man

« Reply #14 on: 27 Feb 2007, 02:12 am »
Yeah, I for one, would love to see that head-to-head of two good combatants, Buddy  :thumb:

Hey!

Well, I broke my BPS EVOIII so I can't go back to it :?

But I remembered the sound of that cart well. :D And to make it a fair fight. Right now I don't play those LPs that were on my current spin list. :wink: I just play those LPs that I haven't play for a long while. :roll:

Hmmm... where are Norah Jones and Patricia Barber LPs :lol:

Take care,