Re: Best PIANO recording I have ever heard

Bob Attiyeh

• Industry Participant
    • Yarlung Records
« on: 1 Feb 2007, 02:03 am »
Greetings! I finally had the pleasure of meeting the famous John Casler at last weekend's Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society meeting.  It was fun to thank him for starting this posting, which was:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=31982.0

Naturally I appreciated it!

Since John posted his opinion last September, I have happy news to report.  Janaki String Trio made their successful Carnegie debut two weeks ago in Weill Hall, and David Fung will likely be invited to return to the Edinburgh Festival in two seasons for another solo piano recital.  I feel privileged to work with this caliber of musician.

Since the thread of this discussion included your favorite piano recordings, I'd like to mention two. 
(I know neither of these musicians personally, nor have I had I anything to do with these recordings).

One is the EMI release for Argentine pianist Sergio Tiempo.  He is apparently a protegee of Martha Argerich, and his playing shows definite similarities.  Pictures at an Exhibition may not be your favorite work, as it is not mine, but this performance was riveting.  Sergio Tiempo's Chopin is good, and his Gaspar de la nuit is second to none.  Very well produced by David Groves in London's Henry Wood Hall. 

A second is Keith Johnson's recent release for Joel Fan, titled World Keys.  Included on this recording is a Nocturne by Australian composer Peter Sculthorpe.  Worth the purchase of the album for this track alone.  And Keith's engineering is always Keith's engineering, which means the sound is excellent.

Thanks to all of you,

Bob

Bob Attiyeh
Yarlung Records
www.yarlungrecords.com

Bob Attiyeh

• Industry Participant
    • Yarlung Records
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2007, 01:51 am »
Have any of you heard Sergio Tiempo live? I've only had the pleasure once, performing with Han-Na Chang in Walt Disney Concert Hall. It was this performance that made me want to find his recordings.  Han-Na Chang was spectacular, of course, as usual. 

Zero

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2007, 02:09 am »
Bob,

I am not privy to the slew of talented pianists, as there seems to be so many gifted individuals in that right, but its always great to check out new and different perspectives and interpretations. Months ago I bought your offersings from David Fung and the Janaki String Trio. Excellent performers - excellent recording quality. I hope to see more titles in the future!

Most Humbly!

Z

TIC

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2007, 04:07 am »
Bob,

It's great to hear from you. I too bought the 2 David Fung CDs and the Janaki String Trio. They are excellent recordings. And the service from Yarlung records was fantastic. Great job!

Regards,

Tom Turner

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2007, 05:02 am »
Greetings! I finally had the pleasure of meeting the famous John Casler at last weekend's Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society meeting.  It was fun to thank him for starting this posting, which was:

Hi Bob it was also great to see you again, and welcome to AC.

As you can see it is a great place driven by passion for Music, and the toys to bring it to us.

I know you'll find it just down your alley. :green:

Bob Attiyeh

• Industry Participant
    • Yarlung Records
« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2007, 03:33 pm »
Dear "Z", Tom, John, and the rest of the gang,

Thanks so much for your support and encouragement.  As we know, audiophilia nervosa is a "cumulative and progressive disease."  And may it always remain so.

We do plan more recordings in the future.  I'm in conversation with two outstanding young violinists at the moment, and a pianist in New York, all three with numerous orchestra engagements around the country, including some prestigious debuts.  We shall see.  Fingers crossed. 

To further our mission to support the finest young musicians as they begin their international concert careers, we've formed a nonprofit, called Yarlung Artists

More than being a pleasure to produce, I believe these recording projects serve an important purpose.  Like many young musicians, David Fung and Janaki Trio are caught between eras in the music recording industry.  Corporations like Sony and EMI will not offer them contracts yet, as they won’t offer contracts to other young artists with whom they don’t have a connection and commitment.  Gone is the time when music labels felt responsible to support and present the next generation of musical masters. 

Without a doubt, concert artists need high quality commercial recordings available in lobbies or music stores associated with their concert halls.  Audiences expect to see professionally produced albums of these artists, and they expect the artists to greet them and sign the albums.  “Self-produced” albums from the same musicians do not have the same effect.  They sometimes make the artists look more amateur.  Without professionally produced and released albums, audiences (and critics) seem not to take the musicians as seriously.  And I have the feeling that the musicians see themselves as less important as well.

Yarlung Artists will raise money to support young concert artists as they begin their international careers.  We plan to record and release albums for soloists and ensembles similar to the Janaki Trio and David Fung solo piano albums.  We also hope to coordinate management for these artists with senior agents in New York and Europe who will help these musicians build their careers.  Joining me are three fabulous special advisers: Harry Bicket, the renowned British conductor, Ruth Eliel of Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra fame, and Michala Petri, the famous Danish recorder virtuoso.  Violinist Margaret Batjer and KUSC President Brenda Barnes join me as founding board members.  With a team like ours, I know we will be successful. 

And our mission is working! Sir Brian McMaster heard David Fung’s first album, and hired him last summer to make his debut at the Edinburgh Festival.  Onward!

I hope you enjoy these recordings! If you're interested in Yarlung Artists, there will eventually be a dedicated website www.yarlungartists.org.  This isn't live yet, but there will be a link from www.yarlungrecords.com, and they're mention of the nonprofit on the label's site already.  Stay tuned!

Anyone who would like to be on our mailing list for upcoming releases and possible invitations to live recording events, please send me a note and I'll put in our book. 

Thanks again for your interest and support!

Bob.

Bob Attiyeh
Yarlung Records
www.yarlungrecords.com

audiojerry

« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2007, 04:04 pm »
Hi Bob,
It's great to have contributions from new members like you, who can add new perspectives and diversity to our forum.

I am impressed with your recording philosophy provided on your website. You seem to take a similar approach as Ken Christianson of Pro Musica in Chicago, who records for Naim. I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to him, and loved his passion and enthusiasm for the art and science of recording.
Do you know of or have you ever met Ken?

When I evaluate my library of records and cd's, it seems like the best recordings were made in the late 50's and early 60's. There have been notable exceptions, but it seems like the talent of recording engineers has gotten worse, and most recordings done today are abyssmal. The "professionals" of today seem to have no sense of the ideal of keeping the performance as natural and pristine as possible.  Of course, the young "listeners" of today seem to have no concept of what a "good" recording is.

Is there any hope for the future?

Thebiker

« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2007, 06:23 pm »
The best piano recording that I have ever heard is by a lady named
Consuela Lee: "Piano Voices".

Technique, skill and recording are all superior.

Thebiker

« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2007, 06:25 pm »
Correction on my "Now Playing".  Houston Pearson not Peason  :oops:

BradJudy

« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2007, 08:15 pm »
TheBiker,  This album? - http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/cds/08332.php

I'll have to note that - I'm waiting till I have four albums I want from them to get a discounted order.  I was already eyeing http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/cds/10452.php and http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/cds/01832.php

Bob Attiyeh

• Industry Participant
    • Yarlung Records
« Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2007, 02:49 am »
Dear audiojerry,

A few posts above this one you wrote the following:

When I evaluate my library of records and cd's, it seems like the best recordings were made in the late 50's and early 60's. There have been notable exceptions, but it seems like the talent of recording engineers has gotten worse, and most recordings done today are abyssmal. The "professionals" of today seem to have no sense of the ideal of keeping the performance as natural and pristine as possible.  Of course, the young "listeners" of today seem to have no concept of what a "good" recording is.

Is there any hope for the future?

I am heartened and encouraged by your question.  And thank you for the kind words you expressed about our minimalist recording techniques at Yarlung Records. 

I am in no way a historian of recording engineering.  I am happy to offer a few thoughts, however, if you will indulge me.

In the 50s and 60s, a period you identify as a "golden era," the better engineers used less equipment than many do today.  What they had available tended to be high quality vacuum tube equipment, and they learned to use it well. 

(I am not sure if it was indeed Karajan who introduced so many microphones into the tradition when he and DGG were recording his work with the Berlin Philharmonic or not, but he is the one credited with this shift.) 

The more equipment one uses, and the more tracks one must mix into two, the greater background noise and distortion one must accept.  Careful mixing and mastering can reduce this effect, but never eliminate it entirely. 

In my view, the best recordings come from the simplest chain of carefully selected and very fine equipment, used strategically in a perfect acoustic environment.  If great musicans perform excellent music in such a setting, the results are magical. 

Wilma Cozart and her team at Mercury made this "technique" famous.  (As a side note, much of my early learning came from studying Wilma's work, and its tremendous strengths and few weaknesses).  It may be that she never used more than three microphones.  But they were excellent mics specifically chosen and meticulously placed for the task, and the rest of her recording chain remained simple.

(Inspired by your comment above, audiojerry, and with gratitude to Wilma and Mercury Records, I'm playing the Janos Starker Bach suites on my turntable as I type.) 

So to answer your final question, "Yes, there is great reason for hope."  There are many of us who prefer audiophile recording techniques, and we have the new digital formats to look forward to.  Perhaps.  We must wait and see how audio on HDDVD or BlueRay sounds before we rejoice.  And there is still blessed analog tape.  I have not released vinyl pressings yet, but I expect to in the next few years. 

Happy to post further thoughts on the recording chain or mastering (we haven't addressed the dirty word "compression" yet either), or the replication process if you wish.  There are no secrets to great audiophile recordings, only simple principles to follow in ways that support the producer's and engineer's trained ears and tone concept. 

Thanks for asking!

Bob

Bob Attiyeh
Yarlung Records
www.yarlungrecords.com

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #11 on: 3 Feb 2007, 03:34 am »
Bob,
Welcome.... :thumb:
I too have enjoyed the David Fung and Janaki Trio recordings.....thanks, their very good !!

To further our mission to support the finest young musicians as they begin their international concert careers, we've formed a nonprofit, called Yarlung Artists.
Good to hear that....best of luck...and please keep us informed. 8)

Chris

S Clark

« Reply #12 on: 3 Feb 2007, 05:37 am »
As a sometimes pianist, listening to the David Fung recording goes way past enjoyable.  It is the single most accurate rendition of a piano in a small listening room- as much solo piano music was written for.  In a day when most well educated women played Chopin in the parlor every evening, there was an intimacy to the music that cannot be captured in a performance hall.  If you do not have this album, you are missing an important recording in the history of intimate piano discography.  I know this opinion is way over the top, but this is a really amazing cd.  This is the closest sound to anything recorded to the sound I hear when I play.

Bob Attiyeh

• Industry Participant
    • Yarlung Records
« Reply #13 on: 5 Feb 2007, 04:47 pm »
I recently relistened to Martha Argerich's live recording of the Rachmaninov 3rd piano concerto.  It is probably my favorite performance of that piece, and have it on the Phillips/DGG recent issue on CD.  Riccardo Chailly conducts the RSO Berlin.  I think it was recorded by Phillips in 1982.  Have any of you seen this on vinyl? I suspect it is a digital recording, but one never knows!

This recording boasts not only Argerich's performance, which a concert-pianist friend of mine compared to a "meteor from heaven," but it is a great live recording too, with wonderful perspective and a combination of transparency and hall ambiance that I enjoy.

Bob Attiyeh

• Industry Participant
    • Yarlung Records
« Reply #14 on: 5 Feb 2007, 04:47 pm »
Maestro Clark! Thanks for your comments above!

geezer

« Reply #15 on: 5 Feb 2007, 07:32 pm »

(Inspired by your comment above, audiojerry, and with gratitude to Wilma and Mercury Records, I'm playing the Janos Starker Bach suites on my turntable as I type.) -- Bob Attiyeh

Bob,

Your comment, excerpted above, reminded me of a time, ten or twelve years ago, when I sat in a hotel lounge drinking beer with Starker and Martin Bookspan for several hours. It was great fun listening to their often hilarious, and sometimes unflattering, stories about many of the giants of classical music that they had dealt with over the years.

However, my main point: That you are apparently a fan of the Starker Bach suites is, in my opinion,  sufficient evidence of the excellence of your taste in music and appreciation of quality recording to cause me to obtain the Fung and Janaki recordings based on your recommendations.

Geezer

S Clark

« Reply #16 on: 6 Feb 2007, 01:18 am »
Maestro Clark! Thanks for your comments above!
Maestro?? :o You clearly haven't heard me play :lol: :lol:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 6 Feb 2007, 03:10 am »
TheBiker,  This album? - http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/cds/08332.php

I'll have to note that - I'm waiting till I have four albums I want from them to get a discounted order.  I was already eyeing http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/cds/10452.php and http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/cds/01832.php

Brad,
The Mapleshade Flamenco recording looks very interesting.  I have been to the studio to pickup parts from Pierre.  Very nice person.  I have the Chopin/Liszt piano recording on that label.

Like Bob's Yarlung Records recordings alot.  Glad to see someone is still using HDCD encoding for CD releases. 

Using the XCD-99 to decode them.  Giving an Oppo 981 a try soon for HDCD, SACD and DVD-A trials.

Bob Attiyeh

• Industry Participant
    • Yarlung Records
« Reply #18 on: 6 Feb 2007, 04:30 pm »
Dear Hal,

I too look forward to the new formats, but not the SACD or DVD-A.  My suspicion is that they've both "died on the vine."  I do think there's a chance that HD-DVD audio might be very good, as might Blue Ray if they can ever get it to work.  My duplication plant (which is Sanyo) already has the machinery for HD-DVD.  So we shall see what it sounds like eventually. 

Fingers crossed!

Bob

Bob Attiyeh
Yarlung Records
www.yarlungrecords.com

Bob Attiyeh

• Industry Participant
    • Yarlung Records
« Reply #19 on: 24 Aug 2007, 05:50 pm »
Sorry for the post to the earlier and older link.  This is the more recent thread.  I am still a little new to Audio Circle, and am slowly learning the ropes.

But to the main point! 

Since John Casler brought the fabulous David Fung to Audio Circle's attention, I thought it would be fun to include some of David's fans in an upcoming live recording session for him.  We are inviting a few audiophile friends to join us in Los Angeles on the evening of August 31st. 

We are not going to start and stop and treat the concert portion like a recording session, so we will be able to enjoy the performance as if it were a concert. 

Some of you were able to join us in 2006 when I produced the debut album for Janaki String Trio.  This year, I am very much looking forward to working again with David. Australian pianist David Fung has just returned from a series of concerts in the Netherlands, and returns to Europe for more concerts in Scotland and Belgium in a few weeks.  I produced David's first two albums in 2005 and 2006. 

Yarlung Artists is a 501(c)3 public charity.  We support young classical musicians as they begin their international concert careers by creating debut albums and by helping to facilitate management with the finest agents in New York and Europe.   

If you are interested, please email me privately, with "David Fung" in the subject line.  I will then send directions and further information.  Depending on how many people want to participate, you will be sitting on stage with us, not in the hall itself, and I need to know exactly how many chairs to arrange. 

I hope to see some of you soon!

Sincerely,

Bob Attiyeh