Hagerman Cornet Phono Preamplifier

mgalusha

« on: 8 Jul 2003, 04:09 am »
I'm posting this in the Lab because it's about a DIY project even though it's also a review. :)

A few thoughts about the Hagerman Technologies Cornet phono preamplifier.

First, this is a tubed phono stage using 2-12AX7, 1-12AU7 and 1-5Y3GT rectifier. For full details see the web site.

Jim Hagerman sells 1/2 kits, which are just a PCB and an assembly manual. In the case of the Cornet, he also offers a fully machined and silkscreened chassis package which includes the power transformer, the IEC inlet, the power switch, a rectifier tube and some miscellaneous mounting hardware. I chose to order both the 1/2 kit and the optional chassis kit. I wanted to avoid the pain of chassis construction.

As with other Hagerman PCBs, it was of superb quality. Clean layout, silkscreened parts guide, nicely through plated holes and a full ground plane.

I choose to build mine in the fashion of his premium assembled version. This consists of using higher quality capacitors and the addition of a current source, although I haven't added the current source yet. I wanted to get a feel for the unit without it. Reliable Multicaps were used in all locations except for a small cap across the transformer input. High speed fast recovery diodes were used for the heater supply along with Panasonic FC series electrolytics.

Assembly was strait forward and the unit worked correctly the first time. I would not recommend this kit if you don't have some experience in electronics. High voltages are involved and the assembly instructions are, in my opinion, written for the builder with experience.

How does it sound you ask? Very nice indeed. The first thing that struck me was the depth and clarity of the bass. The bass was full and robust and not at all indistinct and uncontrolled as some tube equipment can be. Instead, the nuances of Ray Browns (Ray Brown - Soular Energy) playing were presented with seemingly great accuracy and power. I am not a fan the term "PRaT" but it does describe the feeling engendered by this preamp. A sense of the kick drums and bass being exactly timed.

The midrange was equally sweet and pure. Piano, saxophone and guitar were reproduced with great body and tone, as were vocals, both solo and harmonies. It may be that the tubes are editorializing the sound (what doesn't?) but if so, I very much enjoyed the effect.

The top end seems slightly rolled off and it may be that the Cornet needs some more break it. No question it takes time for the capacitors to fully form and the tubes to fully stabilize. I have only about 40 hours on it so far. I need to connect it to the FryKleaner for a few days and allow it to fully break in. The problem is that I have been enjoying it too much to remove it from my system. :)

I don't have any ultra high end phono stages to directly compare this with and my turntable certainly isn't the best but I was able to directly compare it with a Musical Fidelity X-LPS (BlackGate's, HexFred's, Film/Foil input caps) and a fully tricked out Hagerman Bugle. The Bugle was built with Bybee filters on the input, a Bolder Cables Nitro power cord and Bolder's Nitro wiring.

In my system the Bugle was noticeably better than the Musical Fidelity. It provided greater clarity and depth and a more extended, cleaner top end. I listened to the Cornet for a while and then swapped in the Bugle. I was quite surprised at the difference. I expected the Bugle to fare better than it did. Bass was softer and less distinct, the midrange lost much of the very natural sounding body. This made the sound seem flat and much less involving. The Cornet provided a better sonic image and the instruments were less connected with the speakers. The only place I thought the Bugle did a better job was on the high frequencies and that may simply be a break-in issue. Adding the constant current source should provide additional detail, and along with some additional break-in, will hopefully provide a little better top end. Not that it's bad, just a little softer than I believe is correct.

There are a few things I didn't like. None are major and all are easily addressed. First, while the chassis was accurately machined and well finished, I was somewhat disappointed in the thickness of the material. It was quite thin and very resonant and prone to ringing. The judicious application of damping compound took care of that but a slightly thicker gauge of material would be nice. Secondly, the locations of the tubes are not indicated anywhere in the manual or on the PCB. Not a problem if you read the schematic and trace it on the PCB but it would be nice to have a mention of locations in the manual. The third item was the addition of a .01uF capacitor across the power switch. In my system switching the Cornet off caused a pop from the speakers. This occurred even if the selector switch on the preamp was not set to the position where the Cornet was connected. The inclusion of the small cap eliminated any turn off noise.

Bottom line: A great project that sounds great. My total investment was about $500 or so. Not a lot less than the cost of a factory assembled unit but I gained the pleasure of building it and the knowledge of how it's built.

Mike

Edit - added images

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2003, 07:57 pm »
Very cool!  Thanks for the info, I have been interested in building one of these.  Too bad you weren't closer, I would bring over my monolithic combo for comparison purposes.

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jul 2003, 01:39 am »
Josh,

Glad it was helpful. I would love to hear the Monolithic combo but NYC is a little far for a listening session. Only about 1800 miles or so.  8)

I forgot to include the information about tube rolling.

I tried the following 12AX7's in the Cornet:

Gold Aero
Sylvania 5751 Gold Brand
JJ
Ei Gold Elite
Penta Labls
Sovtek 5751
Sovtek 12AX7WA

The results boiled down to the JJ, Sylvania and Ei were all very good. I would rank these as nearly equal. I think the JJ had the most balanced presentation with the Sylvania and Ei very close. The Ei were more microphonic and I believe that if a less microphonic pair were obtianed these would have been at the top of the list.

The Gold Aero and Penta Labs were pretty bad. My notes included items like "muddy bass, piano sounds like a harpsicord". Not good IMO.

The Sovtek 12AX7WA was better than the Gold Areo/Penta Labs but not by much.

The pair of Sovtek 5751's I borrowed had a problem. The level in one channel was very low so I can't really say how they would have performed. I have heard than can be quite good but can't say in this application.

Mike

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jul 2003, 01:55 am »
One-upmanship is such an ugly thing :lol:

After I built a Hagerman Bugle

that blew away Mike's modded Musical Fidelity phono section

HE has to go ahead and build a Cornet :roll:

Now it is my turn again :mrgreen:

I am also going to build a Cornet but I am going to raise the ante.

I am going to start with a MUCH nicer case than HE used

I am going to use all Riken-Ohm resistors and try to fit in the polystyrene Multicaps.

I will post some pictures when I get the machined case from IAG

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2003, 12:29 am »
Good thing Jason doesn't have a vinyl rig or he would borrow your preamp and you wouldn't see it again.  :lol:

One-upmanship huh? Wanna come over and watch a movie Wanye?  :beer:

Mike

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2003, 09:30 pm »
It took quite some time to get the transformer cover and the case from IAG, but I think it was worth it.

Here is a photo of my just completed Hagerman Cornet phono preamp

I am VERY happy with the fit and finish of the case. IAG punched the holes for the tube sockets and drilled all the holes for mounting the circuit board, RCAs, grounding post and IEC.

It cost a bit more than the case Mr. Hagerman sells, but I think it is worth it . I really wanted the phono preamp to look almost as cool as my Teres 255.

Here is what it looks like inside:

This was based on the premium version Mr. Hagerman sells.

I went a little bit beyond his version as far as "audiophile" quality parts.

All of the resistors for the RIAA section are Riken-Ohm 1 watts. The dropping resistors for the heater circuit are Mills non inductive. The capacitors in the signal path are Jensen paper in oil, copper foil. The RIAA caps are Multicap polystyrene where it would fit and polypropylene where it wouldn't.

The power supply caps are Elna Cerafine bypassed with Multicap PP and a JJ cap, also with the same bypass. The heater PS used Panasonics.

All of the internal wiring is Bolder Cable, of course. The input and output cable is NITRO interconnect. Two small Bybee purifiers are installed at the circuit board inputs.

I installed the constant current source, star grounding and increased the value of the output cap as per Mr. Hagerman's tips on his website.

This was quite a fun project. I will let the pre-amp break-in for a few days and try to get together with mgalusha to compare the two versions of the same circuit design.

I plan to bring this up to VSAC. I will also bring the Bugle preamp and Mr. Hagerman is loaning me a Trumpet preamp with his step-up transformer.

If you are going to be at VSAC and might be interested in any of these preamps, please stop by the Teres/Bolder Cable room and take a listen

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2003, 09:52 pm »
I went a little bit beyond his version as far as "audiophile" quality parts.

So does this mean you didn't purchase the premium kit but sourced all your own parts?

Wayne1

« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2003, 10:04 pm »
Josh,

Mr. Hagerman doesn't sell a kit really. He does have a chassis available with the transformer, which is what Mike bought. He sells the circuit board and then the fully assembled version.

I started with his circuit board, a schematic and a parts list.

The user's manual is on the Hagerman website. He also has some tips posted there and on his Circle here.

The "audiophile" type parts I obtained from Parts Connexion http://www.partsconnexion.com

The standard stuff came from digikey and mouser.

All of the parts you need are listed in the manual with the appropriate numbers. Or you can take a chance on the mix and match method.

nature boy

« Reply #8 on: 17 Sep 2003, 12:05 am »
Wayne,

Your Hagerman Coronet project and the casing is really beautiful.  I hate to ask, but could you give us a rough idea of your cost into this.  The reason I ask is because I may move to a preampless system and I'm considering the Cornet for my phono pre.

Thanks and I really admire your skills.

NB

Wayne1

« Reply #9 on: 17 Sep 2003, 03:51 am »
NB,

There is around $700.00 worth of parts in this project.

The Bybees, wiring and labor are not included.

You can use less expensive parts to build this design and Mr. Hagerman does sell a version fully assembled for about the same price I spent on parts alone.

Thank you for the kind words. I really enjoyed building this preamp. It was almost as much fun as building the Teres.

audiodir

re parts
« Reply #10 on: 26 Sep 2003, 08:57 am »
Non inductive resisters are not necessary in the filament supply, after all, chokes are highly inductive and make most power supplies work and sound better. The key parts are the the coupling capacitors and that is where your money is best spent. The .2 uF between the first and second tubes should be upgraded to an audiophile type, and the value can be enlarged for more bass with no detriment to the sound and then the final output cap. I wired mine straigt to the output jacks and then dropped a jumper to the trace to get the bleed off to the ground.
I also cut the B+ traces to the input 12AX7's and used diodes to isolate the plates. This really helps to solidify the imaging.

Stu

alkan

Hagerman technologies...Great products!!! Terrible support
« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2006, 10:52 pm »
I purchased a Hagerman Technologies Bugle Pro kit in December. It is a really wonderful piece of equipment, inexpensive, well designed, musical and at the same time flexible. It is so flexible that you can use the correct equalizations for pre 1954 LPs and 78s.
Unfortunatelly Jim Hagermann's support is practically non-existent, you will e-mail him and he will not respond, so you will have to figure out how to solve any problems that may arise in the construction of the kit. This will make you spend endless hours building it and a lot of frustation.
My advice is look elswhere (a Kab EQS MK12, a Graham Slee Jazz or an Esoteric Sound requilizer), or perhaps you should purchase a fully built Bugle Pro from Hagerman himself...

mgalusha

Re: Hagerman technologies...Great products!!! Terrible suppo
« Reply #12 on: 1 Mar 2006, 01:05 am »
Quote from: alkan
I purchased a Hagerman Technologies Bugle Pro kit in December. It is a really wonderful piece of equipment, inexpensive, well designed, musical and at the same time flexible. It is so flexible that you can use the correct equalizations for pre 1954 LPs and 78s.
Unfortunatelly Jim Hagermann's support is practically non-existent, you will e-mail him and he will not respond, so you will have to figure out how to solve any problems that may arise in the construction of the kit. This will make you spend endless ...

You might try posting support questions in his circle on this site. I've always found Jim to be very helpful as I'm sure many others have.

Edit: I just noticed you did post here. Disregard the above. :)

alkan

« Reply #13 on: 1 Mar 2006, 11:11 pm »
Today I received an e-mail message from JH with a diagram that clarifies my latest doubts on the Bugle Pro and that explained that he didn't reply to my e-mails because he was on vacation.... So, I guess I was unlucky...

DeadFish

« Reply #14 on: 2 Mar 2006, 12:56 am »
Hey alkan,

You gotta look at the glass half FULL!  You *are* lucky!

You *did* get a response.  You could have gotten ignored.

As others have said, I always had good luck in my builds posting on forum both from JH and all the happy, friendly users online here.

Good luck finishing, and happy listening!

Regards,
DeadFish