Balanced power surge cancelation?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Balanced power surge cancelation?
« on: 21 Dec 2006, 06:24 pm »
I just got an e-mail about this "new" technology.  http://www.zerosurge.com/PDF/8RT_01.pdf  I can't find any schematics but they use the term cancellation rather than suppression.  Is this a permutation of balanced power application? Here is what they say.  http://www.zerosurge.com/HTML/spectrum.html

mgalusha

Re: Balanced power surge cancelation?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2006, 07:31 pm »
It's not balanced power. The patent document schematics show the basic circuit. Patent: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=Harford.INNM.&OS=IN/Harford&RS=IN/Harford

The inventor has other patents including another surge suppressor and co-inventor of a power line communications system, so there is no question he knows about power systems.

Looks pretty interesting. Has anyone any experience with the the ZeroSurge devices?

mike

Occam

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2006, 08:27 pm »
Dang Mike - You're faster off the line with what ever tool your searching with than freepatentsonline.com. (You have to register, but it provides excellent search tools, up there with the pay for service Delphi)

As Mike said, this isn't a balanced (technical) power application. The balanced power cancellation of noise that Woodsyi refers to is that ideally, transverse (normal) mode noise becomes differential mode noise, referenced to ground, by virtue of the grounded center tapped transformer action. When this noise is shunted to ground via capacitors, it cancels in that ideally that noise has an equal but opposite phase component which is likewise shunted to ground and they add to 0.

This new technology seeks to take the shunted surge and reintroduce it into an antiphase winding of a transformer or autoformer and thereby cancel it without creating perturbations on the neutral or ground line. Very slick. It is specific to surge/spike protection, and doen't offer filtering which is provided by ancilliary circuitry. While the patent initially uses a classical non linear voltage switch (MOV, SAD), as an enhancement they show their previously developed tracking surge switch which they developed and delivered in their previous patents and offerings.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2006, 08:55 pm »
Looks pretty interesting. Has anyone any experience with the the ZeroSurge devices?
mike

I believe Zero Surge is the OEM for Series Mode Adaptive Surge Filter used in Brickwall and Bryston's Taurus power conditioner. 

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2006, 08:55 pm »
Zero surge is supposed to be nice stuff for surge protection.

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2006, 09:14 pm »
That is a very interesting idea.  You use the secondary winding to reduce the surge voltage for the hot leg. 

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2007, 04:18 am »
Dang Mike - You're faster off the line with what ever tool your searching with than freepatentsonline.com. (You have to register, but it provides excellent search tools, up there with the pay for service Delphi)

Paul, I just use the search on the PTO site. I didn't even know there was another one. :)