New source for GR Research enclosures.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
New source for GR Research enclosures.
« on: 20 Dec 2006, 03:45 am »

I am please to announce that we are now a GR Research recommended source for speaker enclosures.

For the budget minded builders we will be offering enclosures for those that want to build the kits minus the woodwork, as well as full turnkey speakers, for those that want the utmost in fit and finish, just plug in and play.

We will be producing our version of the new OB 5 model, with curved sides and curved baffle with the driver seats dished. Sculpted X style bases with spiked feet will be standard.

The sides of the speaker enclosure start as 1 3/8" thick MDF before machining, the back and top are 1" thick MDF. The baffle is a triple lamination of MDF at 1 1/8" thick for stiffness. Braces are 3/4 and all cutouts are rounded over on both sides. The inside of the enclosure is fulled damped with No Rez damping material.

We will offer any combination of veneers and finishes as per customer preference.

Our Krystal finish is an acid catalysed conversion varnish which offers the utmost in hardness and chemical resistance. Our standard finish is satin. Rubbed piano type finishes will be available as an option.

For those ordering completed turnkey speakers, included with every order will be a CD-ROM with pictures documenting the entire build process of your personal speakers.

We will also be offering a hybrid version of the GR Research OB 7 model. Our version will be physically similar to our OB 5 model, but with the OB 7's compliment of 4 woofers mounted in an array low on the front baffle and in a sealed box.

The PR sub will be in a satellite enclosure with integral plate amp and a complement to either the OB or AV series models.

We will work with GR Research and implement any future design changes for these and any subsequent models.

We are currently working on the design of an optimised downfiring sub enclosure with heavy wall thickness, and sand/lead filled chambers.

We will be offering all models of GR Research product line. Soon to follow are our versions of the AV series speakers which will also feature our curved sides and baffles.

All of our CNC machining will be done in house as of Spring 2007.

We will be posting pricing and availability very shortly.

You can reach us by email at:  customconcepts@sympatico.ca
You can reach us by phone at : (905) 891-7942
We are located 10 min. from downtown Toronto, Ontario. CANADA
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2008, 10:28 pm by Daygloworange »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: New source for enclosures.
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2006, 03:53 am »
Congrats and the best of luck!!!

George

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2006, 03:54 am »
That's great news for those of who are table saw and router challenged!  Good luck in your venture.  Tom

RAW

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2006, 03:55 am »
 aa
Well done
All the best to you Denny :thumb:

bluemike

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2006, 04:04 am »
Good show Denny.... way to put us Canuck's on the map  :thumb:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2006, 04:09 am »
Mucho Gracia guys! :green:

I was gonna start off with, due to overwhelming demand... , but changed my mind. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep your eyes peeled, I've got another announcement coming up elsewhere soon! :thumb:

Cheers
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2006, 08:32 pm by Daygloworange »

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2006, 05:09 am »
Could you please use your avatar or signature to show your commercial affilliation... thanks :)

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2006, 05:29 am »
There is a link to my website under my avatar. I will be swapping my logo into my avatar. 8)

Cheers
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2006, 06:49 am by Daygloworange »

Yorgi

« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2006, 06:32 pm »
Great stuff.  Congrats Denny.

DonnieW

« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2006, 01:00 pm »
Having seen Denny's work up close (I actually touched it) I can tell you it is superb!  I'm not a casual observer, rather have experience in the fine woodwork and cabinetry business.  Design, form, cuts and finish are above that of most fine speakers.  Even his attention to selection of contrasting wood is quite impressive.

Jealous 
   :drool:

Redhanded

« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2006, 02:24 pm »
Your website doesn't appear to work. None of the links do anything, even after I turn off popup blocker. You should fix that.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #11 on: 22 Dec 2006, 03:48 pm »
Our on line ordering system is down for now. We are working on that. Everything else is up and working fine. All of the links work too. There are no pop-ups either.

www.gr-research.com

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #12 on: 22 Dec 2006, 03:58 pm »
Danny, I believe he was refering to Denny's website -> www.customconcepts.ca

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #13 on: 22 Dec 2006, 04:07 pm »
My site is being updated, actually totally redone, and we're going to be switching servers. There is a pop up that announces that, if you have a blocker, then sometimes it doesn't even alert you that a pop up was blocked.

Hang in there, it'll be up and running in a bit.

Cheers

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #14 on: 22 Dec 2006, 04:11 pm »
Oh, okay.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #15 on: 30 Dec 2006, 02:05 am »
I've taken a little bit of time during the holidays to take a look at pricing for enclosures that we will be offering. These will be our versions of enclosures following the guidelines specified for internal volume and bracing by GR Research.

These prices reflect fully assembled and finished speakers ( drivers installed and crossovers wired) in standard veneers and colors. ( standard veneers being, Cherry, Maple, Ash, Oak, etc.. ) All speakers will come with X style bases with spiked feet.

Pricing is as follows:

GR Research OB 7 (hybrid) :   $ 3100.00 U.S.
( Curved sides and baffle standard )       
(N.B. enclosure fully damped with No Rez )

GR Research OB 5 :   $ 2850.00 U.S.
( Curved sides and baffle standard )       
(N.B. enclosure fully damped with No Rez )

GR Research A/V 3 :  $1150.00 U.S.
Curved sides, add:  $125.00 U.S.
Curved baffle, add $150.00 U.S.
No Rez damping, add: $125.00 U.S.

GR Research O-3:     $ 1050.00 U.S.
No Rez damping, add:   $ 125.00 U.S.
Curved sides, add:        $ 125.00 U.S.

GR Research AV/O:   $ 725.00 U.S.
No Rez damping, add:   $90.00 U.S.
Curved sides, add:        $ 75.00 U.S.

Shipping and insurance, (for Canadian customers, taxes)will be extra.

Wooden shipping crates prices vary from $100.00 to $150.00 U.S. These are lined with 2" thick styrofoam. Prices also include polywrapping the speakers and crating them. The crates can be taken apart, stored, then later re-assembled for moving, or for transporting.

The model we have had the most inquiries on by far, has been the OB 5 and OB 7 models. We will be doing a small production run towards the end of January. We will be machining the curved parts and have them in stock, and will begin finishing ordered speakers in February.

We will knock an additional 10% off the price for the first 6 confirmed orders ( with deposits ) on the OB 5 model.

To place an order, or inquiry:

You can reach us by email at:  customconcepts@sympatico.ca
You can reach us by phone at : (905) 891-7942
We are located 10 min. from downtown Toronto, Ontario. CANADA

Cheers and Happy New Year everyone!
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2007, 04:33 pm by Daygloworange »

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #16 on: 7 Jan 2007, 06:11 pm »
One pair of OB 5's confirmed,  8) 5 more pairs to go on the 10% off offer.

Cheers

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #17 on: 29 Apr 2007, 12:16 am »
We've had quite a few inquiries into the OB 7 hybrid versions of GR's OB 7 model, and what they might look like, so I toyed around real quick in Microsoft Paint and came up with a rendering of what they'll eventually look like in the hybrid configuration.

We have 2 pairs of OB 7 hybrids that are slated to be built in the next little while, and I'll post pics of those when the time comes.

The price for the hybrid OB 7's will be just the cost for the additional 4 woofers compared to our price for the OB 5 model. However, since the OB model can use the M-130X (XBL^2) drivers in the woofer section, we believe people will definitely want to upgrade to this driver.

Price for a completed pair (with 8 M-130 X drivers in the woofer section) will be $3100.00 U.S. (Again, for all you guys sitting on the fence on these, we'll knock 10% off this price for the first 6 pairs)

Here's what they'll look like.

We'll have a couple more subtle (but, waaaay cool )changes to the lines of this speaker, as well as bases that will definitely add to the aesthetic quite a bit. Stay tuned for follow up pics.

Cheers

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #18 on: 30 Apr 2007, 08:10 pm »
Hello Dayglo,
I am interested in these, but still debating which direction to go... build them or buy them.

Could you clarify some things please?

Does this OB7 "hybrid" have the 12 inch powered woofer at this price?

Also, are there any special charges for delivery into the US?

Also where can I get a guesstimate of shipping? I am in Chicago.

Thanks
Tony

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #19 on: 30 Apr 2007, 11:03 pm »
Does this OB7 "hybrid" have the 12 inch powered woofer at this price?

No, it's been omitted. GR Research has an active PR sub design that can be run as a satellite sub. It uses the active driver of the original OB 7, complemented by a passive radiator in a sealed box with a recommended plate amp. It's a really nice, very musical sub. I'm running the PR sub with my OB 5's, and it's a real nice combo.  :green:

Also, are there any special charges for delivery into the US?

Freight charges, and insurance. PM me your zip code and we can estimate what the freight charges will be. The brokerage fees we will cover.

Cheers
« Last Edit: 4 May 2007, 01:42 am by Daygloworange »