Rythmik Audio subs - Any Experience ?

nodiak

Rythmik Audio subs - Any Experience ?
« on: 12 Dec 2006, 01:20 am »
I am getting a 2.1 music system together and have come across their offerings. Their DirectServo Sub Kits look interesting (said to have overcome problems with other servo units).
This is to be used for music so I'm after great transients, I will be playing sub 20 hz organ and synth with it. (I'm not worried about ht for this.) I have a 300 ft2 room and would like to get away with using one sub, as I play really loud at times but I know some of you play louder..
Can any one here give me their experience with any of Rythmiks gear - any of their amps with or without their drivers, their kits, servo amps, non servo amps, etc. I've read the website and will some more, and am emailing them too.
Please no debates on mono vs. stereo vs. quatro subs...I'm after users reports on the sound quality of this companies products. Recommendations desired.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/index.htm

Thanks, Don
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2006, 04:20 pm by nodiak »

nodiak

Re: Rythmik Audio subs - Any Experience ?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2006, 01:37 am »
I am thinking of either one of their non servo amps using ACI 12" 1284 sub driver in a Greg Monfort designed mltl...or...going for one of their servo amp and metal 12" sub driver kit.

Don

DSK

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2006, 06:49 am »
... I have a 300 ft3 room ...Thanks, Don

Do you mean 300 ft2 ... or perhaps 3000 ft3?

My room is approx 427 ft2 or 3847 ft3 but on top of this is open to a long hallway and open staircase. I use a single Rythmik DirectServo sub that I built into a 2ft3 sealed box with 1.5" thick walls plus stacks of bracing ... weighs 93lbs.

I have it setup between my speakers, not in a corner, not even against a wall. Even so, the gain is only at approx 11 o'clock. I used ETF5 software to integrate it with my sealed main speakers and the system measures +/-5db (unsmoothed) from 16hz to beyond 200hz at the listening position (approx 12'6" from speakers & sub).

Performance is excellent. Very crisp, tight, fast, musical etc etc. Easily matched all subs I have heard up to approx $5k including M&K, Velodyne, Klipsch, REL, Yamaha etc. It may equal subs above this point but I have not auditioned any. I have been extremely pleased with it and have no wish to replace it. It has blown away some people with very good ears. Do not estimate its performance by its price tag, it is an overachiever!

andrewbee

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2006, 03:15 pm »
I have a pair of 12" servo subs in 2 cuft sealed enclosures built with doubled 3/4" ply so 1.5" walls as well. Room is ! 15' X 35' with a sloped ceiling going from ~ 8' at the lowest to 12'.

Excellent subs.

Brian is also very knowledgeable and helpfull.

nodiak

« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2006, 04:32 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I meant 300 ft2, sorry. They seem to do the job for you guys and are the real deal. This would allow me to have smaller mains that only need to reach ~70 hz. That way I have more choices, including ob mains.
I'll keep reading up on them to decide which kit, also any more users comments are welcome.

Don

nodiak

« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2006, 11:17 pm »
DSK and andrewbee,
I asked Brian for a recommendation and he said the DS12 sealed 24db version. Sounds good to me and I'm ready to order.
Couple questions:
Hookup- I have an old (to be rebuilt) Scott 222c integrated and it has a center channel out that is L and R summed, a tech told me it can be used as a mono sub out to a powered sub. I'm not doubting it will work just asking if this makes sense to you for the Rythmik amp because of it's hookup design?
Cabinet - I'll make the cabinet and am wondering if there is anything you can recommend about building a cavity for the amp. Maybe you learned something you could pass on?
Thanks, Don

DSK

« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2006, 11:37 pm »
...he said the DS12 sealed 24db version....
Yes, the DS12 with 24db LPF used in a sealed box is exactly what I did.

Hookup- I have an old (to be rebuilt) Scott 222c integrated and it has a center channel out that is L and R summed, a tech told me it can be used as a mono sub out to a powered sub. I'm not doubting it will work just asking if this makes sense to you for the Rythmik amp because of it's hookup design?
I don't know your amp but if the centre channel pre-out is L & R summed and is full range, I guess it should work OK.

Cabinet - I'll make the cabinet and am wondering if there is anything you can recommend about building a cavity for the amp. Maybe you learned something you could pass on?
I asked Brian this when I built mine. He advised that there was no need to build a separate cavity in the box for the plate amp, just fit it directly into the back of the box.

nodiak

« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2006, 05:30 am »
I appreciate hearing from you guys about your servo subs. I went ahead and ordered the kit. I think it will work out very well. (Why did i wait so long to get a real sub?)
DSK, thanks for the run down on  my questions. Sounds like they made it as easy as possible. I'll ask Brian and the tech who'll be working on my Scott amp if I have any problems.
I'll build a cabinet like both you guys did, double wall, put the amp on the back.
Flat to 14 hz should be very interesting...
Take care, Don

andrewbee

« Reply #8 on: 13 Dec 2006, 06:40 pm »
I echo what DSK wrote.
I also have the 24dB version. I use mine in a Basszilla inspired speaker but with a Visaton B200 as the fullrange.
The plate amp you just cut a hole for, the controls are sealed so no leaks through the amp.
I would suggest figure at least one figure "8" window brace in the enclosure but just an inch or so off centre. IOW, if your subs internal dims are 16" X 16" then put the brace at ~ the 7" mark and not in the middle.

Andrew

nodiak

« Reply #9 on: 13 Dec 2006, 09:22 pm »
Andrew, I came across your speakers in a search. That's great.  I had tried similar but passive xo between ob mains and 12" subs. Too muddy, of course. I've had a marchand xo kit that I never got together, was to use with Adcom 555, but amp got sick. So that approach was never completed.
Now with one Rythmik sub I'll try mains down to ~ 70hz. I don't have them anymore but in my experience in my room the B200's can do that, to satisfying levels.
I could see getting another sub for stereo use at higher xo frequencies if needed.
Do you use two amps for stereo or one for dual mono? Do you use the 8 (6.7) ohm drivers, or the 2.8 ohm? 

Also, thanks for the tips on the cabinet. It turns out I was able to cut down a 3 ft3 cab I had for another sub. It is very well braced. I'll put another double layer back on it (which will connect with the bracing) with cutout for the amp. Looks like I'm ready when it arrives. Still need to check on hook up to my integrated tho.

Don
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2006, 10:15 pm by nodiak »