BP26 or SP2 vs. Modwright SWL 9.0 SE?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
BP26 or SP2 vs. Modwright SWL 9.0 SE?
« on: 26 Nov 2006, 12:20 am »
I searched but found to posts regarding the ModWright preamp at this circle yet.  Ditto the inverse at the ModWright circle. 

Please only comment if you've heard both for long enough to form a reasonably valid opinion how the two compare, preferably in your own system. 

I appreciate your time, as will hopefully some other readers. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: BP26 or SP2 vs. Modwright SWL 9.0 SE?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2006, 01:01 am »
Jim,
I own both.  PM me for more detail, or we can push this over to critics corner..  I wont diss either of them on each others own mfg forums.  They both have a special place in my system, with the Modwright a better match for 2 channel and my Sason's, and the SP2 is like a 5.1 or 7.1 channel SWL 9.0 SE, less maybe 5-10% air and microdetail.  It's 5.1 analog bypass blows anything away with my SACD and DVD-A listening, and this includes stellar all-analog classics like the Sony TA-P9000ES, and the analog pass thru's of the likes of the Denon 4806 or the Lexicon MC-8.

jethro

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2006, 01:57 am »
Jim,
I own both.  PM me for more detail, or we can push this over to critics corner..  I wont diss either of them on each others own mfg forums.  They both have a special place in my system, with the Modwright a better match for 2 channel and my Sason's, and the SP2 is like a 5.1 or 7.1 channel SWL 9.0 SE, less maybe 5-10% air and microdetail.  It's 5.1 analog bypass blows anything away with my SACD and DVD-A listening, and this includes stellar all-analog classics like the Sony TA-P9000ES, and the analog pass thru's of the likes of the Denon 4806 or the Lexicon MC-8.

This isn't a manufacturer's forum so please feel free to share your opinions.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2006, 03:43 am »
Ted
I think it's admirable to make fine points about such a comparison in private, as you mention.  I'll drop you a pm.  But it looks like you may have covered the most important difference, which BTW seems 100% consistent w/ what I would have guessed. 

Thanks for your valuable opinions.  The internet makes shopping easier (& more difficult w/ the choices).  I would probably be unlikely to find someone w/ your experience at the local Safeway checkout line.

Levi

« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2006, 04:20 am »
Transistor vs tubes.  Bryston SP2 vs Modwright preamp.  Bryston preamp does not use tube so not apples to apples.  Bryston has 20 years warranty and from my experience it is extremely reliable vs lets say 5 years Modwright (new kid on the block).  Hmmm...this is a Bryston thread so this could be bias :D.  Regardless, the SP2 will simply smoke the Modwright in HT mode.  Bryston preamps are extremely quiet and because of that it is ultimate in retrieval of subtlety.

It is probably better to compare a Modwright tube preamp to another tube preamp like a Balanced Audio Technology preamp.  The BAT VK-30 with six (6) Amperex USA white labeled tubes that's made between 1950-60's.  The BAT simply bettered the Modwright in overall musicality.  Needless to say, I still have a Bryston processor and the BAT VK-30 tube preamp.  That's how good they sound in my system.  Just my .02.

My system link is below.  aa

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2006, 04:56 am »
Levi,
I'm not sure what apples you're comparing when you say "the SP2 will simply smoke the Modwright in HT mode".  The Modwright in HT mode is a passthru, using no real tube stage, no volume control, nothing....straight wire, no gain  On the other hand, in 2 channel mode (which is what I'm assuming Jim was referencing in his comparison question, since he asked about the BP26) that 10% I spoke about is the last 10%, the most important 10%.  My Sason's are ultra-transparent, and the dead quiet nature of the SP2 still did not overcome the alive quality, the extra texture and body that the Modwright throws out there.  It's subtle, but not to my Sason's. 

The Bryston Sp2 is the most musical ss pre/pro I've ever heard, though.  I'm listening to the Beatles Love in 5.1 and it is marvelous, a revelation, the Sistine Chapel ceiling cleaned up, restored, then somehow animated with just the right amount of frivolity, and still respecting all that came before it.  (Can't wait for my all-Sason 5.1 setup).  Even digital sources llike 5.1 movies (processed in 7.1 in my theater) sound wonderfully real and quite fleshed out.  A Lexicon steers sound slightly better, but the SP2 growls and sings way beyond what a Lex could hope for.

The only nitpick on the Bryston is that it feels like a computer (and of course that's precisely what it is, as much as what it isn't).  The remote IR sensor only works half the time (although a reboot fixes it everytime), the initialization typically cycles through error codes before booting up correctly, and the manual is disastrously sparce almost feels like a language conversion project, for what should be a statement product.  That aside, a kick-ass analog sounding piece of home theater equipment.

Levi

« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2006, 05:07 am »
Thanks for the clarifications Ted.  I am glad that you still dig your Bryston proc.  I don't use the remote IR function, so can't say too much about it's reliability.  I did have issues with my Modwright plat modified 999ES and it sure gets expensive specially if I had to send it back to Dan more than 3 times in a year. 
aa
That aside, a kick-ass analog sounding piece of home theater equipment.
Well said!

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 26 Nov 2006, 06:42 am »
My expectations for replies were reasonably high.  Still, in just a few hours, the replies are much more valuable & rich w/ information than expected.  Thanks to all.