Dodd Battery pre - first impressions

pauljvl

Re: Dodd Battery pre - first impressions
« Reply #20 on: 22 Sep 2007, 06:31 pm »
Thankyou DU for the welcome and insite ,  my reference to the Dodd review is meant to say if he thinks the Dodd is light on Bass in the review
than in my mind then he is used to more of a Anylitically extended Bass which May go deeper in one respect ,but loose the natural
body and decay of a solid natural Bass as in Life this was my point .I compare everything as I would as in life ,unless I am asked to do otherwise that is how I voice a Audio System I build for a freind or customer -to just sit back and enjoy , not analyse.

Captain Humble

« Reply #21 on: 22 Sep 2007, 06:35 pm »
I've never heard of Paul but let's give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he just wasn't aware of JohnR's "Industry Participant Policies".  He is now informed and hopefully will conform and all will be right with the world.

FTR, I own a restaurant and am not in any way affiliated with any company in the audio business.
With that said, I can certainly understand Paul's enthusiasm regarding his acquisition of the Dodd preamp.

I own a Dodd battery powered preamp and it's the REAL DEAL!
Best bass my system has ever produced and my current first choice in preamps.

As my Cajun friends would say, "It is one serious fine preamp!"
It is also the best looking component I've ever owned.

So, take it from someone who has nothing to gain and no ulterior motives.
If you're in the market for a new preamp in the $3K plus range, do yourself a favor and make every attempt to give the Dodd battery powered pre a listen.

Naturally my opinion is based on my experience, taste, and the Dodd's synergy with my system.
Your opinion could be different and the really good news is that whatever you buy won't change my life in any way. :lol:

Jeff

pauljvl

« Reply #22 on: 22 Sep 2007, 07:49 pm »
Hello and I would like to say I have owned many5k+ preamplifiers and money had nothing to do with my statement .This is my personal
opinion with 30 yearsbehind me to say this is a breakthrough product , especially at this price point thankyouPaul.

Double Ugly

« Reply #23 on: 23 Sep 2007, 03:05 am »
I've never heard of Paul but let's give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he just wasn't aware of JohnR's "Industry Participant Policies".  He is now informed and hopefully will conform and all will be right with the world.

With only 2 posts at the time, that's precisely what I assumed, Jeff.  That's why I suggested he take a look at the policies, and why I provided a link to same.

When I see threads that have been dead for 8 months get resurrected, occasionally I get curious, so I took a look.  The rest... well, you know what happened after that. 

I'm not sure why you felt compelled to say the rest or use the 'tone' I think I detected, but...
Naturally my opinion is based on my experience, taste, and the Dodd's synergy with my system.

...since a dealer will by definition *also* be biased in his opinion, and since it is JohnR's policy, I hope you understand why I pointed Paul in the right direction.

If there's something I've missed or more to be said, please feel free to contact me via PM.

Thanks.

-DU

Mariusz

« Reply #24 on: 6 Jun 2008, 02:04 pm »
Is this thread dead???
It was very informative with tube rolling and setup tips as well as the comparesen to other preamps.
I just received my Dodd and would like to hear other opinions and experiences and such. Please keep the thread alive for guys like myself and all those audiophiles that are interested in this preamp. I am not aware of the AC policies but I believe their must be there for the reason. However if possible - try to keep Paul in the loop. I think he might be a great addition to this forum and this thread in particular.

Thanks

Mariusz  

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #25 on: 6 Jun 2008, 07:42 pm »
FYI, there are two more recent reviews of this pre-amp. One is in 6 moons and the other is at StereoMojo.

Mariusz

« Reply #26 on: 6 Jun 2008, 10:41 pm »
Thanks Danny ,

I think that I have read these very positive reviews . But as fine and  informative as they are it is always very impotent and educational to hear what actual users experiences were. Things like synergy with other components, wiring choices, isolation and vibration teaking, tube rolling, mods and such. Reliability issues, campany support and possibly their input on issues in question.

Since it is a relatively new brand and its exposure to the public eye is limited to forums like these (with Press slowly catching up), I think it is impotent to share information and experiences between each other and possibly help in solving problems, issues or just answer few simple questions.

More we know about this or any other product , better listeners we become IMHO.

I will be most interested in members experience with different tubes , isolation/vibration control and overall sound characteristics as well as comparison to other hi end preamplifier on the market today. There are few designs that I know of which utilize either batteries as their power source or AC converted to DC. Technologies like the one implemented in Dodd preamp are slowly finding place in HiFi World and realization of potential benefits that such a design philosophies are actually ground breaking and audiophiles around the World have noticed that as somewhat revolutionary approach in eliminating problematic issues associated with power delivery , noise and better performing components that implemented this technology in their design.

I myself have had so many  nightmares due to NY filthy electricity and prehistoric wiring in most of the city buildings and apartments that finding reasonably priced, excellent sounding and innovative gear to overcome those issues became my goal and mission.
Sure I have updated my electric lines as well as installing two dedicated lines for my rig but you can invest only so much money, energy and sanity in fighting the Monster that never rests and your best efforts seem powerless and ineffective in this uneven war with the noise. Noise that degrade your system's performance and most impotently _ enjoyment of your favorite music and joy of experiencing the art of music in your home within four walls that became your oasis and audio nirvana.

So yes, please share, post - make that experience as pleasurable and fun as possible.

knowledge is the key and the door is here ..........

Cheers

Mariusz

kbuzz3

« Reply #27 on: 6 Jun 2008, 11:37 pm »
Mariusz's post raises a question for me. I apologize for hijacking if merited i can move this post. But my question is this. Assuming one believes in the benefits of isolation; is battery powered equipment subject to the same vibrational problems as ac equip? And are they counteracted with the same type of tweaks?

I have an sig 30 omega edition which comes with a spiked platform. Ive never experimented with vibration control/isolation.  HAve others?

Mariusz

« Reply #28 on: 7 Jun 2008, 01:33 am »
Hi  kbuzz3,

Very good question. Especially true when it comes to its effect on RWA Sig 30 ( but away, I have exactly the same amp with Omega's retro touch of wood and platform).   IMHO , yes it probably has some influence on the stability of the components, signal transmission and its overall behavior under such a conditions. How much ?, is a big one and it is most likely dependent on component design and constraction. RF, EMF interference is a good example on how little we know about componet's interection with anomalies that surrounds us and somewhat invisibly affect the performance of the equipment that  is or might be sensitive to those fascinating inventions of ours ( as the human kind),

I wouldn't think that RWA sensitivity is greater then lets say Dodd, which uses 6922 tubes in its circuit. That fact alone makes it more victimized by interference from inside of the unit as well as from the outside. That being room vibrations and sound waves itself penetrating its thin glass shell and delicate and sensitive guts. So in Dodd's case vibration controle might actually help as much as tube dumpers and RF blockind sheets. Isolating nearby components and rest of Dodd components from those batteries radiating in all direction can also make the difference as the EMF might exist. How it all can effect overall sound of your or my rig is only my guess.

Some experimentation could most likely answer ...at least some of these questions.

Bigfish

« Reply #29 on: 7 Jun 2008, 02:01 am »
I am quite interested in Gary's preamp and he is currently offering them for a sales price on his website.  Recently, I purchased the ModWright Transporter because of the overwhelming reviews of the product here on AC.  Some members here have probably used a Dodd Preamp for sometime and I would really appreciate your comments.  I really like the concept of the battery power but does it translate into performance?

Thanks,

Ken

AliG

« Reply #30 on: 7 Jun 2008, 02:30 am »
Are you aware of this review?
http://stereomojo.com/Dodd%20Audio%20Preamp%20Review/DoddAudioPreampreview.htm

Someone who has listened to both Modwright LS36.5 (without the external power supply unit) and the Dodd battery preamp told me that the two preamps are in the same league while each having a different sonic signature.

I am quite interested in Gary's preamp and he is currently offering them for a sales price on his website.  Recently, I purchased the ModWright Transporter because of the overwhelming reviews of the product here on AC.  Some members here have probably used a Dodd Preamp for sometime and I would really appreciate your comments.  I really like the concept of the battery power but does it translate into performance?

Thanks,

Ken

yooper

« Reply #31 on: 7 Jun 2008, 03:11 am »

Thanks,

Ken

Hey Ken,

Opinions should arrive shortly as Pete (Big Red Machine) owns the 36.5, and I own the Dodd battery pre.  We live within 20 minutes of each other and we are wanting to have a Modwright/Dodd shootout  aa

Pete may invite a few locals to get a few more impressions, but we just need to get our work schedules correlated on an upcoming weekend.

It will be a lot of fun, and I don't think their will be a world of difference but more so personal preference....who knows.   :scratch:

It will be hard to write even subjective opinions because I feel we will be challenged by fans of either pre on various factors that may or may not have come into play during our evaluation.    But with "shootout" guidance from fellow ACer's, we hope to get it right.

Mark
« Last Edit: 7 Jun 2008, 10:25 am by yooper »

Mariusz

« Reply #32 on: 7 Jun 2008, 09:01 pm »

Thanks,

Ken

Hello Ken

I can honesly say that I was in your shoes not to long ago. Until early 2008 I didn't even heard of Dodd Audio. Never the less hear what the buzz is all about. After few conversations with Walter of Underwood about trading in my Granite Audio 770 fp preamp for Dodd , I have decided to take the bait.......risky,  ....yes - worry - yes. Now.........- it is probably one of my better, blind, spontaneous decisions that I have ever made. It was such a relieve when I plugged Dodd in and listen to it for the first time expecting to find characteristics of my past four preamps ( that I bought this year alone ). Jas Array 1.1, Granite Audio 770 fp, Supratek Chardonnay, Consonance Cyber 222 MK II (I won't mention TacT 2.0SS since its quality as a dedicated preamp is.........crappy - please excuse my language. It is a OK dac, and interesting room correction features are nice but that is all it has to offer -  sorry if I offend some owners but it is only my opinion and  should be taken as such )which
were all nice.........exception maybe the Supratek which was excellent but $500 spend on rare NOS tubes was silly prospect in the long run. They all had their signature sound and if someone is interested , here they are:

Consonance Cyber 222MK II - very nice tube preamp with separate power supply. Sound was sweet but nothing like Jas or Supratek , natural  with good balance for the money. However its somewhat analytical presentation and lock of speed, air , definition made it my last choice at least in my system. Definitely not the last word on transparency and not a good choice for detail freaks - like myself.

Granite Audio 770fp - this preamp is very difficult to describe since it is very natural, with very little coloration of its own. Basically, I liked it and giving it up wasn't easy that is for sure. Don of Granite Audio ( I should mentioned that I have spend 3 days with Don during 2008 CES but have no relations to the man of any kind - just that we both like wine and we both like to goof around. Cool guy I may add. ) put a lot a thought and energy making sure those problematic issues that are all so common with fillthy power lines won't degrade his design. Implementation of some really interesting ideas in isolation and filtration were very appealing and made a lot of sense. Back to its sonic evaluation. In my system it felt quite at home with very good air, soundstage - which was the best and giving up only in width and depth to Supratek. Bass was very good , well controled and definitely there to enjoy by bass fans out there. To sum it up in few short words - very good , natural preamp with phono stage that is very capable on its own.

Jas Array 1.1 - this relatively new preamp from Asia is build like a tank with German oversize power supply for left and right channel and two 2A3 rectifying tubes. At about 40 pounds it  is a good exercise with provided two handles on both sides. I am not exactly sure why but I believe those 2A3s are responsible for its enormous sweetness and pleasure to listen to. It is also quiet , very quiet. It throws big soundstage with very liquid voices. String instruments are very articulated and you can feel the vibrations just hanging in the air......nice. Gives up only on transparency and detail. Sold it to the friend of mine. He took my advice and is experimenting with different tubes and reports very noticeable improvements over cheap stock tube that I wasn't willing to invest in. Overall very good pre for someone who would like to put some honey in his system , that is to sterile and lifeless.

Supratek Chardonnay was my favorite as you may noticed and I don't want to describe what was beaten to the ground by so many allready. The only thing that bother me personally is small edginess on the very top of frequency extrimes. I guess it might be due to Mike's choice of internal wiring which I believe is either silver or silver coated. Talking to few Supratek owners confirmed this and their efforts to replace the wiring and few caps did not eliminate the problem completely.

About my system:
Speakers - Vandersteen Quatro
Amps - Consonance Cyber 800 mono tube 78wpc , modify by B.Backert ( genius )
Cdp - Consonance Droplet 5.0 tube
Phono preamp - Consonance Reference 40 tube with separate power supply
Turntables - Lenco modify, MMF 7 modify, Red Devil (my own table on the pic.)  with dedicated isolation base and stand (200 pounds total ).
rest - carts, Ortofon MC 2000 MK II , Denon 103R, = arms - Origin live , Moarch up4.
Wiring by Morrow Audio and Granite Audio.

Dodd is temporally in my second system for break- in period. System's components are: AAD 2001 speakers, RWA Sig. 30, Droplet cdp, Sonos system and Ipod.

My first impressions of Dodd is very positive. I am not sure if it is the best preamp for the money or like some claimed , the best of all - since I have not heard everything that is out there and it would be irresponsible on my part to suggest that. What it is then ??? well....it is the best preamp that I have heard in my system and definitely better then some of my friends  preamps as well as some mega bucks gear that I have audition from dealers or heard at trade shows. It is unbelievably transparent and with speed that everone can appreciate ....I know that I do. Soundstage is secend to non. Instruments articulation and body is very well define. Bass is great, and I don't agree with some that point that out as the weakness of Dodd. It is very natural, and the edginess that bother me with some designs vanished. On top of everything , it is dead quiet with pitch black backgrounds , that fact is probably guilty of its clarity, definition and air - even while listening at lower volumes. I tested its silence by turning the knob on Dodd and RWA to the max and guess what......at 1inch away from the speaker driver I heard absolutely nothing......non _ black hole of silence if you will. That is exactly what I was looking for and I think that Dodd is here to stay...for very long time.

I would like to experiment with verity of 6922s and 7308s but my resources are empty or on silly diet of copy cat~ing others on the web...so sad.
I am sure that some Apx 6922 or 7308 would greatly improve the sound over JJs that Dodd came with. I will also try few other isolation components as well as dedicated stand for Dodd. I love Morrow Cables for their value and performence but I am open for suggestions from other users as well on that matter.

As to shootout between the Dodd vs ModWright

Please Mark, keep us posted. You are probably right that neither camp will voluntarily wave white flags over their heads and throw their weapons in the form of Modwright preamps to your feet but you never know. I have heard Modwright stuff in Vegas and was impressed but not to the point of financial commitment. It could have been the room or other things that did not do it for me. However his gear is very well received within the audiophiles circles and positively reviewed by press. It should be fun.

Take care Mark

Ali, yes I have read that review as well.

Thank you for support  and enjoy the weekend.

Best regards

Mariusz
 aa

« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2008, 11:32 pm by Mariusz »

brj

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 8 Jun 2008, 10:12 pm »
Mariusz, thank you for your detailed comments!  By including the details of your system as well as direct comparisons with other similar products, your review becomes extremely useful to others and exactly the type of review we like to see in the Critic's Circle.  The only other addition you may want to consider would be a description of your room (and any treatment) and what type of "sound" you are trying to achieve (which is often dependent on the type of music you enjoy).

Thank you for going to such effort!

arthurs

« Reply #34 on: 8 Jun 2008, 10:30 pm »
Great post Mariusz and congrats on a great peice in your new Dodd pre!  Gary's gear is terrific and does respond favorably to different tubes, so do take the time to try some rolling, as you stated were your plans.

toobluvr

« Reply #35 on: 8 Jun 2008, 11:43 pm »

Hey Mariusz...

Bring it over to my place and lets see what kinda synergy happens with my Dodd 120 monos!

aa      :thumb:

Big Red Machine

• And now for something completely different....
« Reply #36 on: 9 Jun 2008, 12:25 am »
My experience with the Morrow SC's was they had incredible bass and decent midrange but the top end did not come through at all.  So I am back to Poiemas again.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #37 on: 9 Jun 2008, 12:26 am »
Sincerely looking forward to a comparison between the Dodd and the Modwright! :drool:

kbuzz3

« Reply #38 on: 9 Jun 2008, 12:43 am »
Great post Mariusz and congrats on a great peice in your new Dodd pre!  Gary's gear is terrific and does respond favorably to different tubes, so do take the time to try some rolling, as you stated were your plans.

i agree, Mariusz's post is exactly the kind that useful!!!!!! On top of that as aRWA sig 30 owner im selfishly curious about his experiences with this pairing.  I am all for using a tube pre with the sig 30.  I have just sent mine to vinnie for upgrade to 30.2, curious what it will sound like without a pre this time.

I have not heard it but, but on a technological and emotional level, The dodd pre just has certain special factor which makes it attractive IMHO

Big Red Machine

• And now for something completely different....
« Reply #39 on: 9 Jun 2008, 12:44 am »
Sincerely looking forward to a comparison between the Dodd and the Modwright! :drool:

Mark? :wave: :duel: