Need a good equipment rack

PaulFolbrecht

Re: Need a good equipment rack
« Reply #20 on: 23 Oct 2006, 11:00 pm »
BTW, I previously have experience with the "mass-market" (non-audiophile) type of rack, and have not been impressed.  The low-cost stuff is not bad, but definitely you are getting what you pay for in this market.  My experiences recently have convinced me even more of the benefits of proper isolation, especially with tubed gear, so I want something heavy and well-damped.

toobluvr

« Reply #21 on: 24 Oct 2006, 12:39 am »
Heavy?  Solid?  Well-damped?  Reasonably priced?
How about a slab or 2 or 3 of maple butcher block planks?

Prices here seem very reasonable:

http://www.perfectplank.com/maple_butcher_block_tops.html

For example, you can get 2" thick,  17 (or 24) x 48 inches for about 80 (or 100) bucks.
Get 2 of them, and you can fit 4 pieces of gear.
Raise it high enough off the floor, and you can tuck your monoblocks or power conditioner underneath.
No idea of the shipping cost, but because of weight, it might be substantial.
If those in the San Fran area can pick-up at manufacturer,  they can do a really nice rack quite cheaply.

I am currently in the process of doing a wide 2 shelf DIY rack with this stuff.
So far, I have one 30 x 50 slab that I found locally, and let me tell ya, this stuff is heavy...at least 50 lbs!  I have it resting on 16" high cinder blocks in each corner.  Kindof "dorm-roomish", but functional while I play around.  I'm sure they can be dressed up with paint or contact paper, or some other supports can be devised.  But I can't imagine any rack being more stable and solid...regardless of price.  And the light maple color with bull-nose edge actually looks very nice when contrasted with black or silver gear sitting on it.

I have a line on another slab.
Maybe I'll post pics when completed...hopefully in a few days.

Gordy

« Reply #22 on: 24 Oct 2006, 02:05 am »

...or some other supports can be devised. 

Check out the pricing of 3/4"-10 brass rods, 3/4-10 brass hex nuts and acorn nuts, I think you might be pleasently surprised.  http://www.mcmaster.com/    Six of the 2' rods would be perfect for your two 4' shelves.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #23 on: 24 Oct 2006, 09:39 am »
Here's my solution:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15558&catalogId=10103&storeId=12&productId=11460&langId=-1&categoryId=15620&chosenPartNumber=35699510

It's a $45 (including shipping) open nightstand with 1.3 inch thick top, bottom, and side panels plus an adjustable middle shelf (Width: 20 1/2, Depth: 15 3/4, Height: 22 7/8).  Works great for my simple audio system (clear inside width of 17.5 inches).  I bought another to use as a matching side table to my listening chair and to have a 2nd adjustable shelf if needed.  I left the wheels off (it sits on padded carpet over concrete).

scottielee

« Reply #24 on: 25 Oct 2006, 03:09 am »
how about Finite Elemente Pagode Signature? 4 shelves at $1,995 from musicdirect.com

Wayner

« Reply #25 on: 25 Oct 2006, 10:21 pm »
Sanus makes some decent stuff for a lot less money. I have no problem with them as they can be fillled with sand, if you wish, for additional damping, although when they are loaded up with components, they are fairly stable and vibration free.

W

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #26 on: 1 Nov 2006, 05:15 am »
Oh, for closure, I ordered an Adona rack.  Two, actually.

I just realized I spend way too much %$#!^ money on audio.

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #27 on: 1 Nov 2006, 05:33 am »
I'd like to second Timbernation as I have one of his racks. Very sturdy and it has that hand hewn look to it. Kinda like Ed's speakers: nothing mass produced but evident of pride and craftmanship.

ZLS

« Reply #28 on: 1 Nov 2006, 01:01 pm »
I third Timbernation.  Quality work reasonable prices.  I even have Adona Platforms sitting on the Timbernation rack.  Best of both worlds

BobM

« Reply #29 on: 1 Nov 2006, 01:43 pm »
If you have the tools, this design isn't difficult at all, has some eye appeal and does the job (for those who believe in dissipation of energy via mass). It's rather easily constructed, with about 50lbs of sand in each shelf. I think I originally saw the design on the Teres forum somewhere.

Enjoy,
Bob

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/ptmconsulting/Audio/22a7ddbe.jpg

Brad

« Reply #30 on: 1 Nov 2006, 03:33 pm »
Bobm,

Thanks for the idea/picture.
I was about 75% of the way to deciding to build a flexi-rack, but I like that one a lot too.

BobM

« Reply #31 on: 1 Nov 2006, 04:27 pm »
One thing to remember. A flexy is light and semi-rigid. I think if I was to go the light and rigid route I would probably try to come up with something that doesn't wobble quite as much. Perhaps some steel brackets supporting the 4 corners, instead of 3 rods. Maybe some cross bracing between them too. Just my thoughts on how to make it more rigid. I did see someone make a frame by sweating copper pipe and filling it with sand. A unique idea that makes a lot of sense to me, but may not look quite as finished as other options.

The sandbox approach I took goes to the high mass concepts (obviously). Just remember, that it is going to stay wherever you place it. It just ain't gonna move, so leave plenty of space behind and around it before putting in the sand.

Enjoy,
Bob

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #32 on: 1 Nov 2006, 04:48 pm »
If you have the tools, this design isn't difficult at all, has some eye appeal and does the job (for those who believe in dissipation of energy via mass). It's rather easily constructed, with about 50lbs of sand in each shelf. I think I originally saw the design on the Teres forum somewhere.

Enjoy,
Bob

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/ptmconsulting/Audio/22a7ddbe.jpg

Is this a variation on the Sandblaster Isolation Platform?  http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/sandblaster_e.html  It would be a pretty nice rack if one makes each shelf into an isolation platform. 

Brad

« Reply #33 on: 1 Nov 2006, 05:36 pm »
My flexi plan was to basically copy the Mapleshade rack.

2" thick maple shelves, with 3/4" or 1" threaded rod at all 4 corners.
I don't think it would be too light....

I just like the look/sound of the thick maple shelves

toobluvr

« Reply #34 on: 1 Nov 2006, 07:25 pm »
My flexi plan was to basically copy the Mapleshade rack.

2" thick maple shelves, with 3/4" or 1" threaded rod at all 4 corners.
I don't think it would be too light....

I just like the look/sound of the thick maple shelves

I like the idea!   :thumb:

I'm in the process of doing something similar myself...kindof a bastardized version of it...and certainly, a cheaper version.

Mine will be double wide, 50 inches, and 3 (maybe 4)  shelves high.
Instead of 2 inch solid maple, mine will use 1.5 inch thick butcher block planks,  finished with bull nose edges. 

I don't have all the materials yet, but I got a start on it.

See my gallery for other pics.

I need two more shelves, and the cinder blocks will be replaced (obviously) with Stainless Steel threaded rods. Stainless is more expensive, but it will hold up better against rust, oxidation, staining, etc.  And I live in a beach community...all the more important.

I've thought long and hard about the appropriate size for the rods.  I really like the hefty look of the 1.25 inch ones used by Mapleshade, especially for a rack this wide.  So I figure to be visually pleasing, 1 inch is a minimum.  I'm sure smaller diameters will do the job structurally, but I feel that against the thick and wide shelves, it will just appear too flimsy.  Thoughts, anyone?

I don't know about the "sound" of this rack...or if I am even on the right path in this regard.
And I have no idea whatsoever about the sonics of solid maple vs. maple butcher block.
But I do know it will look good, be very heavy,  and once bolted together, very solid.
The 1.5 inch butcher block I'm working with is easily 50 lbs per shelf!

HChi

« Reply #35 on: 1 Nov 2006, 07:37 pm »
Star Sound/Audio Point Sistrum

and SolidTech Rack of Silence

are two more racks with good reviews and its own supporters, although they are a bit pricey.  8)

nathanm

« Reply #36 on: 1 Nov 2006, 07:52 pm »
That cinderblock setup looks really nice toobluvr, I would leave it just as it is! :thumb:

alotaklipsch

« Reply #37 on: 2 Nov 2006, 12:36 am »
I have 2 brand new black 5 or 6 shelve Timbernation racks, still in the box, custom 3" top, and bottom, I can sell CHEAP :duh: :duh: :drool: :drool:

I bought a Craz rack instead :duh:

CXhicago area, p/u only

TomS

« Reply #38 on: 2 Nov 2006, 01:04 am »
Steve - PM sent.  Tom

rcarlton

• Mr. Waddles listening to the K-horns.
    • Ron Carlton's webpage
« Reply #39 on: 3 Nov 2006, 02:34 am »
Agree 100% on Adona, very good stuff, very good people to work with! :thumb:

If you're interested in the VTI racks Marvin suggested, and live near Fort Worth TX, I have some in great shape you can have, just come by and get them.

Arthurs,
Does the offer for the VTI racks still stand?