Empirical Modded DEQX

Joules

Empirical Modded DEQX
« on: 6 Oct 2006, 05:48 pm »
 I didn't want clog up Steve's board with MAAC stuff so I will respond here.

Re: Empirical Modded DEQX

Quote from: Joules
I to have a I2S modded DEQX from Steve in a system similar to Mr. serenget's. I'm using 4 Aspen Amplifiers Lifeforce amps for high's and mid's and a pair of 1kw ICE amps for bass.
Speakers are Raven R2's - pair accuton C90's - pair TCSound's 15" aluminum woofs per side.
I'm not much of a writer but I can say this modded DEQX has smoothness and purity unlike anything I've heard. And I think I would be able to hear any issues!!

I second Mr serengetiplains take on the Steve Nuggent Modded DEQX !!!

Quote from:Woodsyi
Hey Joules,

Sounds like it should be awesome.  When can I come over to listen?  What are you using for transport?

Woodsyi - Thanks for the intrest. I'd love to have you guys over but I'm still working out some last little bugs. When I get through if you guys are still intrested, buy all means!

I'm using a dedicated music server PC only - It's all I need

David 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #1 on: 6 Oct 2006, 06:08 pm »
Woodsyi - Thanks for the intrest. I'd love to have you guys over but I'm still working out some last little bugs. When I get through if you guys are still intrested, buy all means!

I'm using a dedicated music server PC only - It's all I need

David 

Well,  here is a debugger for you.

Looking forward to listening to your system.  Is it a silent PC?

Joules

« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2006, 07:15 pm »
YYeess - wweellll - Thanks Woodsyi, That Debugger will be most helpfull.
Yes the PC is quiet. Minimal windows, no vid card (mother bd vid) no sound card no noth'en not even solitaire. Just a cpu, key board, mouse, a tiny lcd monitor and two hard disks (one for os and one for wave files). Oh yea a wifi card for streaming internet music (kzam)

HChi

« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2006, 08:36 pm »
I would love to hear it once you iron out all the kinks.  I will most likely take a 3-way active crossover route myself in the next 12 months or so.  I am basically torn between DEQX and Tact 2.2XP, possibly Lyngdorf.  It would be nice to hear what a nice tweaked DEQX based system sounds like.  Please keep us posted regarding the progress and readiness for party!!!  :banana piano: :dance: :drums: Thanks.
« Last Edit: 7 Oct 2006, 06:11 am by HChi »

SWG255

« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2006, 09:03 pm »
I too would be very interested in hearing the modified DEQX. I strongly believe this is the "wave of the future" in high-end audio reproduction, so I'd like to know just how close that future really is.

HChi

« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2007, 08:44 pm »
Hi David,
For the I2S input, did Steve implement a new input, or replace one of S/PDIF or XLR digital input?

Thanks.

Joules

« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2007, 05:57 pm »
The USB to I2S input (Off Ramp I2S) is in addition to the stock DEQX inputs. I have no use for the other inputs and did not have them modded. The mods I had done were USB to I2S interface, analog output section and power supply.

HChi

« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2007, 04:48 am »
The USB to I2S input (Off Ramp I2S) is in addition to the stock DEQX inputs. I have no use for the other inputs and did not have them modded. The mods I had done were USB to I2S interface, analog output section and power supply.

Do you also use DEQX as preamp also?  Assuming you were to use one of the DEQX default inputs in addition to USB to I2S, can you switch between I2S and other input(s) using the remote?  I am contemplating to have an I2S mod on DEQX for my CDP.  However, I would most like stream audio from my computer also; therefore I will need to use other digital or analog inputs.  Thanks.

Scottdazzle

H2O amps
« Reply #8 on: 12 Apr 2007, 01:20 am »
Dave,

Did you ever try your H20 amps full-range?  They are great with your woofers but I wonder what your impression of them is on mids and treble. Once again, thanks for a superb listening session.

Scott

Joules

« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2007, 05:48 pm »
I listened to the H2O amps at Henry Ho's house (The guy that makes them - H2O world headquarters) before I bought them. They were played thru Henry's Apogee full range ribbon loudspeakers and they sounded extremely smooth and detailed with power and full range.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2007, 02:13 pm »
Dave,

Thanks. That seems to be the general reaction to his amps. Now if I can just find the bucks!

Scott