Speaker height: any thoughts?

cyounkman

« on: 20 Jun 2003, 05:43 am »
I've heard from the manufacturer and from my dealer that listening height is very important for the De Capos (and presumably for the Virtuosos as well). I've had mine on 22" stands for a while (they are less visually imposing), but I've been experimenting and think I may be happier with them almost 6 inches higher. Currently, they're at about 26"; I may move them to 28" (using high-tech, audio-grade books).

By comparison, I found the orchestral presentation a bit odd at the old height—I felt like I was looking down on the music—like sitting at the front of the balcony, but without the change in frequency response you’d experience sitting there.

Does anyone else have a magic number? Of course it all depends on your ear level at the listening position--mine is about 38". Currently I am slightly below tweeter level. For some reason, I have always wanted to slouch so that I'm looking at the main driver, not the tweeter.

The new stand that Reference 3A is marketing is adjustable from 19" to 30". Is anyone that high or that low? How has the sound changed with height adjustments in your experience?

Terry

« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2003, 01:56 pm »
Chris,

I have been wondering about the same thing. I filled my 24" stands with lead and sand and they are a real #$%?& to lift so I have not done the experimenting that you have. Nevertheless, the "slouch test" does indicate that the listener's height, relative to the speakers tweeter, does have significant impact on the sound. Have you checked with Tash at Divergent on this?

brucegel

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2003, 06:52 pm »
After much experimentation I concluded that center of ear  at center of tweeter is the best sound for me.If your system is bright I recommend a lower position so more of a bass mix is heard.

cyounkman

hmm..
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2003, 09:51 pm »
I'm sure it's system-dependent. My thinking (in addition to what I heard) was this: since the manufacture indicates that you shouldn't toe the speaker in, it would appear that the preferred listening position (i.e., flatter response) is off-axis. (Apparently confirmed in measurements from NRC in the Soundstage review here.)

In my experience this applies on the vertical as well as horizontal axis.

brucegel

Re: hmm..
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2003, 02:59 pm »
Just to reiterate what cyounkman said I think the decapos couple with the room better than any speaker I've ever heard meaning that if you sit in the proscribed triangulated "sweet spot" you get the least involved and spatially mixed result but as you move beyond that spot things get rich and juicy.I am a big advocate of the audio physics set up which calls for the head to be very near the back wall (just an inch or two away) which minimizes reflective cues behind you which if not tamed properly mess up the dimensional sense of recordings.

Terry

an update on speaker height
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2003, 02:01 pm »
I have spoken to Tash Goka of Divergent Tech on this subject and he recommends a stand of 28". The tweeter should be several inches above the ear level. My own experimentation has revealed this to be the case. It looks like I will be investigation higher stands (blast it!).

brucegel

Re: an update on speaker height
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2003, 03:25 pm »
With all respect to tash I really think we owe it to ourselves to find the best height for ourselves.For 30 years I have been trying to ask everyone in this hobby to experience the world of audio for themselves and investigate things like a designer/experimenter.All things are system dependant and room dependant for example the height of a speaker cannot be afixed thing if each of our ceiling heights are different,see what I mean?So in conclusion a recommendation is only really valid if said recommendation was given after a few hours sitting in your room listening to your system.Don't be afraid to fly off your own audio limb for there is where lies the richest rewards.

nathanm

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2003, 06:21 pm »
Motorized stands?

Just make sure you're sitting down (and don't have a heart condition) if you choose to read the price!  It sure would be nifty to be able to do though, I must say.  Books are much cheaper! :wink:

Terry

Re: an update on speaker height
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2003, 07:58 pm »
Quote from: brucegel
With all respect to tash I really think we owe it to ourselves to find the best height for ourselves.For 30 years I have been trying to ask everyone in this hobby to experience the world of audio for themselves and investigate things like a designer/experimenter.All things are system dependant and room dependant for example the height of a speaker cannot be afixed thing if each of our ceiling heights are different,see what I mean?So in conclusion a recommendation is only really valid if said recommendation  ...

I could not agree more and I did not mean to imply that everyone should rush out and buy a 28" stand. For what it is worth, I borrowed a 28" stand this morning and I did not like the result at all. That extra 4" significantly reduces the midbass and actually made the speaker sound very bass shy. It also raised the woofer/midrange to ear level which resulted in exceptional image clarity and vocals but the overall presentation was on the lean side. However, this might work really well in a room with a 50 to 60 Hz. bass resonance, which is quite common, and can easily be tried.