Promitheus TVC passive preamp anyone?

anubisgrau

Re: Promitheus TVC passive preamp anyone?
« Reply #1700 on: 15 May 2007, 11:07 am »

Gruessen Ihnen. Sie sind absolute richtig ueber Double C-cores trannies (sorry for my bad German since it had been long times already). But the double C-core is still the second line to the R-core output transformers.

i haven't heard a R-core TVC. i've heard a very basic double-C core TVC and i'm just writing on a basis of what i've experienced.

there's absolutely nothing i would change in the sound of that device. nada. nista.

@gooberdude
i can't say if it is better than promitheus with active buffer. i am sure that can sound great. i can only talk how the plain stock promitheus ref4 with the best connectors sound next to the double-C and it is not a favourable comparison i'm afraid. a very serious difference. i wrote about it earlier.

denjo

« Reply #1701 on: 15 May 2007, 12:05 pm »

I read something similar posted in another forum about the double C-core TVCs which might be of interest. Check this out:

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/newbbs.pl?d=Y&forum=tweaks&m=142636

Best Regards
Dennis

anubisgrau

« Reply #1702 on: 15 May 2007, 12:07 pm »

I read something similar posted in another forum about the double C-core TVCs which might be of interest. Check this out:

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/newbbs.pl?d=Y&forum=tweaks&m=142636

Best Regards
Dennis

that's my post. there are more developments ever since, i've heard another version which was great too.

btw i'm wondering if you've had a chance to compare your silver TAP with promitheus?

it's only silver S&B i haven't tried yet to have a complete picture.

GHM

« Reply #1703 on: 15 May 2007, 09:45 pm »
Well the Promitheus active has landed in Georgia. :D Only problem now is finding the time to listen. I'll go by Fred's tomorrow afternoon and pick the unit up for a listen. With his busy schedule, it will be the weekend before he gets a chance to hear it. I'm looking forward to hearing what all the fuss is about.

jeffjazz

« Reply #1704 on: 16 May 2007, 01:25 am »
You can send it to me and I'll listen to it for you and give you a complete report!!!
I am very interested in this preamp.  I had the TVC mark II in my system and it compared very well to my active preamps costing much more.  It didn't have the drive I needed since my Pass amp like to see more than 2volts.  The active could be just what the doctor ordered.  I have been sending emails to Nick at Promitheus about this and he suggested the active preamp.  Eager to hear what it sounds like!!!
Thanks !!

highdfever

« Reply #1705 on: 16 May 2007, 04:38 pm »
Have ordered a TVC active preamp and a DAC from Nick.

So your name is Apollo!  using V-Caps  :drool:   

Andis

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #1706 on: 17 May 2007, 12:31 am »
You can send it to me and I'll listen to it for you and give you a complete report!!!
I am very interested in this preamp.  I had the TVC mark II in my system and it compared very well to my active preamps costing much more.  It didn't have the drive I needed since my Pass amp like to see more than 2volts.  The active could be just what the doctor ordered.  I have been sending emails to Nick at Promitheus about this and he suggested the active preamp.  Eager to hear what it sounds like!!!
Thanks !!

I think you are going tpo be a happy camper. Good luck. Burn in for 400Hrs and do not look back. This is mandatory, you will not like it 100% until broken in.

rollo

shanyau

« Reply #1707 on: 17 May 2007, 01:51 am »
Hi ALL

I have been visited this link since last December. Because of all the positive feeback on this TVC, I bought one (the standard config) out of curiosity and received it in January. Last month, I have received the buffer or active preamp. I have promised Nick to write a review if he can send me the buffer quick, so here it is...
No affiliation to him, I'm from Australia.

It is my sharing to those who is still thinking of getting one.

What I am using...what I am comparing with, don't have any mega buck gears but midfi stuff only.

My humble setup is a Yamaha NS1000M driven by its own power amp MX-1. It is the best match with all the power amp I have. Much better than a pair of EL34 mono block amp which was suggesteed by some (sort of Marantz 9 cirucit). MX-1, I have removed the input caps, variable input circuitory, and changed the speaker poles. With Nick's buffer amp (transformer coupled), I have no worries about any dc singnal going to the MX-1. Worth doing, improvement is big step up.

I have a lot of preamps, most of them are vintage. Yamaha C-2X (yes, I like yamaha) for phono, Jeff Rowland coherent preamp (not using anymore), Onkyo P-308 for phono (surprisingly, it is better than the C-2X, you can check audiokarma regarding the praise of P-303), Image M7A 7308 tube (marantz 7 circuit, not using anymore). My reference preamp is from AudioSpace model Pre-1 with 4xMullard ECC32 and most of coupling cap changed to Hovland.

Source, Linn lp12 with OC9 cart, Sony XA7 CD player and Musiland DAC (all caps changed to BG).
To evaluate the TVC and the buffer amp, I'm just using CD source.
Cables, power cables etc, not the stocked but some so called exotic, eye catching ones.

Type of musics, classical. Choral, listen to the balance of the voices. Does the saporano shouting to others or she is singing in harmony with the voices and musics.

The TVC (standard config) first...
For the first 100 hours, it is quite disappointed. Not because it is bad, but far below my expectation. But still better than resistive type passive amp I have heard, OK not bad for $300.
Thanks Rollo, insist burn in, very boring and unrewarding stage. Am I wasting my time? I always asked myself. After 200 hours, wow, getting better and better. The high and base is now coming. As others said, very musical and very details even at low volume. For another 400 horus, I don't border to compare, or I have already lost my patient to wait, Iwant ot listen to the musics.
I believe my TVC is fully burnt in. But I am not using it and cannot replace my tube preamp, why? It lacks of the tube sound I like (some say it is the MSG), the violin lack of body, the base lack of attack, lack of dynamic and excitment when listening to orchestra, and more important, music involvement. Don't get it wrong, it is still a very good value and bargain preamp. But compare to my ECC32 preamp. it cannot be my main preamp.

Now the active/buffer amp...
I don't want to give up the TVC, it can deliver something my tube preamp cannot, the balance in the audio spectrum. When Nick annouce his buffer amp, I wrote to him to ask for a test run for free. He is a nice guy and agree to send me one. After a few email exchange, I decided to pay him in full before the amp arrive.
Connect up, no burn in time, yes, bingo. It gives all my tube amp can give and more. Balance and harmony, air, more clean base, much better and non-fatiging high. It is the best preamp I have and the tube amp is getting cold.

To connect the TVC and buffer amp, I use the Audio Note silver cable.
After a couple of days, I have changed the power tube to a Mulalrd 5AR4, the buffer tube to Amperex 7308 white PQ. Results is more refine in the high note.

Now I am thinking of replacing all the stock capacitors, Rollo, what are you using now?
And where can you get them?
It has 2x 100u 40V, 1x 47u 450V, 2x 200u 300V and also in the power supply, I forget what is it?

I wish you can find this information useful, just my two cents.

Shan

dem626

« Reply #1708 on: 17 May 2007, 03:52 am »
OK, someone please help me understand something.  I don't see anything about c-core/double c-core trannies on Nick's website for the TVC or the active preamp.  What's being used now?  I just ordered a dual-box TVC and I'm wondering if I'm getting a version that will soon be bettered by a c-core version.  I know this eventually happens to everything but if I can avoid it in this case I want to do so.

Doug

jeffjazz

« Reply #1709 on: 17 May 2007, 04:04 am »
see page 169

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #1710 on: 17 May 2007, 07:01 pm »
Shan,
           Yes the preamp is a tweakers delight. I am bypassing the HolyGrail caps with V cap Teflon and replaced small NOS Phillips caps at tube sockets with V cap Teflon as well. Tried Mundorf silver/gold thought they were dull sounding. Just installed V caps so no comment yet, they need some time to break in. In 200 Hrs I will let you know.
            Did not change anything in power supply yet. One at a time. Never perform 2 changes at once. It is impossible to tell what is doing what.
             The Mullard 5AR4 should be an improvement over stock Sylvania. Well a different presentation anyway. The 7308 replaced the 6N1P in the Pre? Did not know it was a direct substitute.

rollo

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #1711 on: 18 May 2007, 12:17 am »
OK, someone please help me understand something.  I don't see anything about c-core/double c-core trannies on Nick's website for the TVC or the active preamp.  What's being used now?  I just ordered a dual-box TVC and I'm wondering if I'm getting a version that will soon be bettered by a c-core version.  I know this eventually happens to everything but if I can avoid it in this case I want to do so.

Doug

The "C" cores will be used in up coming Reference series products. They are being tested as we speak. I would imagine the features and pricing will be different as well. So the original TVC with "I" core transformers will remain the base model as the bargin it is. When its time Promitheus will announce the new line of reference products.

rollo

dem626

« Reply #1712 on: 18 May 2007, 12:50 am »
Thanks rollo.  I'll get back to waiting on the delivery of my TVC.  I'm new to this hobby and already I'm obsessed with every little thing I read about.  I'm sure I'll be plenty happy with my TVC.
Doug

daz_bike

« Reply #1713 on: 18 May 2007, 11:33 am »
I took delivery of my dual box double run silver TVC as well as 2 x Energizers and BPS about a week ago.

The are all burning in as I speak so I am waiting to the previously stated 400hrs before I make any firm conclusions, which I will post.

Initial impressions however are very good.  BTW I am in a 240V country.

Cheers

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #1714 on: 20 May 2007, 11:49 pm »
Hey Guys,
                      Well trip to Malaysia was delayed to 6/12 due to getting a passport. It sucks but I am still going. Nicholas invited me over for a listen. Should be fun. He will have his personal GM70 amp with"C" cores ready for a spin. He said the power supplies are 27"x 13" alone. Wow!.

rollo

Randy

« Reply #1715 on: 21 May 2007, 02:15 am »
My TVC died this afternoon. I had to move my equipment around due to a floor problem and may have jarred it a little too much. At any rate, when I got everything going again, I had lost a lot of volume control, in fact, the last six or seven clicks make no difference, as if it's stuck a a low volume setting. And something inside is moving around. Does Nick do repairs?

Early B.

« Reply #1716 on: 21 May 2007, 02:25 am »
My TVC died this afternoon. I had to move my equipment around due to a floor problem and may have jarred it a little too much. At any rate, when I got everything going again, I had lost a lot of volume control, in fact, the last six or seven clicks make no difference, as if it's stuck a a low volume setting. And something inside is moving around. Does Nick do repairs?

Open it up and take a look around. Snap a couple of pics and post them here. If it's a minor issue, you might be able to fix it yourself.

GHM

« Reply #1717 on: 21 May 2007, 02:48 am »
Quote from: Randy link=topic=31621.msg#msg date=

Randy I have a rag tag unit here that is XLR and SE that I'm not using at the moment. If you need a fill in ..just let me know and I'll send you this one to hold you over.

FWIW I spent several hrs over two days listening to the active stage. It was mediocre the first day. The 24 hour warm up made quite a difference. It made the music a tad more rounded and fuller.It was also very quiet...no hum or hiss. I find I prefer the sound without the unit in the chain here however. It was pleasant to listen too,but didn't make a staggering difference in my system. Gain was basically the same with or without it in the chain. As I stated previously, gain isn't a issue in my system.Maybe if I had more time with it things would have changed more. The unit looked to be used..I assume it was burned in.

I can see where the unit could benefit the right system. If you have a thin sounding system or a hot top end..it is just what the doctor ordered. I do suggest Nick include instructions in reference to what is the input and outputs of the unit. This could confuse some as it did Fred. I've been out of town the last couple of days and hadn't spoken to him. I found out tonight that he had the unit hooked up backwards. Or at least backwards to the way I had the unit hooked up. :scratch:

Randy

« Reply #1718 on: 21 May 2007, 03:18 am »
GHM - thanks for the offer of the loan. I am going out of town for a few days and will think about it. I do have a back up pre I am using now that's spent most of the last 15 years in a closet, a Croft tube unit that sounds pretty nice, but for one reason or another, I eventually become disstisfied with it like all the other preamps I've had - except for the TVC.

Early - when I get back I'll open it up and take a look. Some wires must have come loose or broken I suspect.

1000a

« Reply #1719 on: 21 May 2007, 06:23 am »
Hey Guys,
                      Well trip to Malaysia was delayed to 6/12 due to getting a passport. It sucks but I am still going. Nicholas invited me over for a listen. Should be fun. He will have his personal GM70 amp with"C" cores ready for a spin. He said the power supplies are 27"x 13" alone. Wow!.

rollo

Well I finally figured out how to do a quote on the forum, but this amp is really starting to vex me.  Hmm lets see 27" x 13" for the power supply, OK that would make the jabberwalkie about Hmm? :scratch:  What the.........., how in ........, well lets see I must of calculated wrong, if the skyhook part is 37.7" the plutonium mixer-black hole deconstruct-er must be ah 98" by say.........?, Oh I was afraid of that, dam the bad luck!

Yep, I gotta buy a different house first! :o