McAlister Audio PPV150 tube amp

Dracule1

• Facilitator
McAlister Audio PPV150 tube amp
« on: 29 Jul 2006, 06:28 am »
Hi everyone - Hyperion and non-Hyperion owners alike...

I have recently aquired the McAlister Audio 75 watt tube amp.  I don't write reviews unless I really think a component has some seriously awesome sound.  I have gone through 2 amps and 3 digital sources in the past 2 years and heard countless different components at dealers and shows, but only found the Hyperion 938s worthy of a formal review, IMHO.  Now I have another component that may merit such a review.  It's still a little too early as I've only had it for the past 3 days, but my initial impression with this amp powering the 938s are extremely positive.  There are some bugs and quality issues to iron out.  In the comming weeks, I wiil decide whether or not to post a full formal review in the Critics Circle.  Stay tuned...

MarkM

Re: McAlister Audio PPV150 tube amp
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2006, 12:59 pm »
OK I'll chime in, I have also just acquired a McAlister PP150 amp.  I have had mine for about 2 weeks and must agree with your initial positive statements about this amp.   The sound is simply musical, extended frequency extremes and absolutely non fatiguing!  Oh, imaging, depth is pretty darn solid as well.   I have only been able to squeeze in a couple of hours of uninterrupted listening, but for the price, the amp is amazing. 

Down side?  Very much a DIY appearance, bias pots are located inside the chassis on my amp.

Frihed91

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2006, 04:31 pm »
Hi Mark and Dracule,

This is timely.  I am on the verge of making a decision regarding the McAlister PP130 which is a slightly smaller version of the 150.  The comments you both made about the sound are heartening, but I have some other questions and you can reply here or by email, OK.

1.  Peter told me the bias was going to be easy to adjust  right out in the open.  What gives?
2.  He has also recently upgraded the cosmetics and sent me some pictures (probably of one of your amps).  It looked much nicer than the old version.   The one exception (for me) was the cover for the wires running from the power suppl to the amp.  I asked him to cover this with flex material.
3.  What are the "bugs and quality issues" to which you refer?  I live in Copenhagen.  It will cost a frtune to ship it just one way.
4.  Anything else?

I really hope you both can reply.  Thanks. 

John
Copenhagen

MarkM

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2006, 03:45 am »
I acquired my amp second hand and it is about 10 months old.  I believe McAlister has been working on cosmetic enhancements and I have seen pictures of his recent equipment to support this.  I will be honest and say that overall, I do not mind the diy look.   This is where personality comes in  :lol:, the PP150 is one hell of a deal!  The amp belongs in a dedicated music room and not a shared room with the wife.  My wife loves the sound, but it is one ugly duckling!  It will never make it to the living room system.

The previous owner did not specify to have the bias pots located on the top of the chassis.  This was an extra fee at the time to relocate the pots on top.  It is a real pain ITA to bias with the pots located on the inside.  Make it clear as to what you want and paying for.

Some of the "issues" I have heard about McAlister is the amps are not properly packaged for shipping.  If it is is not properly packaged for the journey, then other issues arise.   Another is consistency among the production units.  You need to make sure you specify what you want.  The amp I have, the original owner specified binding posts and inputs to be installed on the rear of the amp.  What he got were binding posts on the rear and the inputs on the front of the amp. 

I acquired the amp second hand and could not be more pleased with the performance.  It makes some fine music for the $$$.  Mates perfectly with my Selah Audio RC3R speakers.

The power supply "umbilical" cord is covered in flex on my amp.  I think McAlister is good at circuit design and needs someone to assist in the marketing, just mho.

Hope this helps.

Frihed91

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2006, 07:11 am »
Yes, it does.  Thanks a lot.

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2006, 04:23 am »
Right now the biggest problem I'm having is power transformer hum.  I'm not sure if it's the interaction between the amp and my system or just the amplifier itself.  There was another owner who posted about a similar issue with hum in the past, and I was told by Peter that problem was resolved.  I don't want to say anymore at this point until I can further investigate this problem.  I've contacted Peter about the problems, and he has suggested several simple tests I can do to isolate or resolve the problem.  Because of the 100+ degree heat wave and my AC crapping out on me, I have not tested the amp yet.

The new cosmetic of the amplifier does look an order of magnitude better than the old look, IMO.  But it's not the professional quality that you may see in the wave of affordable Chinese amps on the market (eg, Cayin, Pacific Creek, Eastern Electric, Jungson, Jolida etc.). I agree with Mark about the packaging.  It does need improvement.  Although double boxed, the boxes were used produce boxes fitted with hard styrofoam that were broken into pieces. The separate power transformer housing came with small chips in the paint on top.  Also the output transformer housing on the amp is made of sheet metal that have been folded and glued for form a box.  The glue on one side has come undone and the sheet metal has become detached on one side.  The speaker binding posts are also loose which will require me to open the amp up and tighten the nut on the inside.  The LED indicator lights are not perfectly aligned. There are scratches on the silver front panel next to the indicator LEDs.  So for a new amp, I was not expecting these problems.  I am ambivalent about what to do about these cosmetic issues.  Although Peter has been making improvements in the cosmetics and quality, there is definately room for improvement.

So if you are going to order from Peter, you have to remember this is a one man home run operation.  Don't expect to get high quality cosmetics, and there may be problems arising from shipping from less than stellar packing.

So why am I not slamming the guy for all these issues?  Given I have spent less than $1200, the sound of the amp on first impression is so much better than my TAD modded Cayin integrated tube amp ($900) and Jungson 88D integrated amp (over $2000 retail) and better than I have heard from a $3000 tube amp.  I think I would have to get an ARC VT100 (last I heard $6500) or its equivalent to get this level of sound.
« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2006, 04:38 am by Dracule1 »

Frihed91

« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2006, 05:22 am »
Thank you and oh, dear.  The hum is the worst of the things you mention.

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2006, 05:40 am »
Oh by all means yes, let's get someone to take over the marketing so that the price can skyrocket!

If you guys don't start trashing his gear how will any of us ever be able to keep from going insane while waiting for Peter to build our gear? He is already exploding with buisness.

What is wrong with you guys??? :roll:

Frihed91

« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2006, 09:43 am »
Look.  He is running a business.  Businesses are built on happy customers.  Customers are happy when they get quality for their money. 

Everyone knows that his designs are excellent.  Quality begins here and ends with the details that Dracule is discussing.

If he can't or hasn't already solved his quality problems, he will stay small!

Now, by way of comparison, google on Mapletree Audio or LLoyd Peppard, a competitor of Peter's.  See if you can come up with quality issues.  I couldn't and the one product i have of his is simply wonderful.

I am a perspective buyer.  I live in Denmark.  I am taking a huge risk buying Peter's product and having them shipped overseas.  Any idea what the shipping alone costs?

You are telling us to shut up because......what?  These are trivial "marketing" questions.  Imagine how you would feel if you experienced Dracule's problems.  Trivial to you?

Everyone likes Peter.  That is not at issue.

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #9 on: 3 Aug 2006, 05:36 pm »
I'm sorry frihed, my whole post was supposed to be a clever attempt at subtle humor!
I would guess 99% of his customers are satisfied. What I was saying is he can barely keep up with business as it is and he has two guys working for him now! We need to keep Peter's gear as our little secret! :wink:
(again, just kidding)

As far as packing goes, well call him up and yell at him! As far as cosmetics....listen in the dark!

Frihed91

« Reply #10 on: 3 Aug 2006, 05:59 pm »
Peter should be the one to control his own destiny.  Sorry I missed the humor.  I think he has a problem; he knows it; and he's working on it....I am glad to hear he's hired some people.

MarkM

« Reply #11 on: 4 Aug 2006, 12:04 am »
So why am I not slamming the guy for all these issues?  Given I have spent less than $1200, the sound of the amp on first impression is so much better than my TAD modded Cayin integrated tube amp ($900) and Jungson 88D integrated amp (over $2000 retail) and better than I have heard from a $3000 tube amp.  I think I would have to get an ARC VT100 (last I heard $6500) or its equivalent to get this level of sound.

I like your perspective on McAlister audio.  :thumb: The bugs are no doubt frustrating to deal with.

At some point he has to go with having custom shipping boxes and an attractive prepunched sturdy chassis.  This will no doubt add to costs, this amp can easily sell for $2,000.00 and be a killer deal at that price.  Not to mention, this would speed up the assembly time on his bench. :lol:

Bottom line, absolutely great sonics with some quality control issues.

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 5 Aug 2006, 04:14 am »
Well, gents.  Peter, as a gentleman, is not an issue.  His amp, sonically, is not an issue.  The cosmetics and transformer hum are issues that need to be dealt with as I am not the first to address these problems.  I like Peter alot as an audionut and as a person.  But I have to be objective when assessing his equipment.  I'm pointing out flaws that may or may not be important in making a purchase decision depending on the buyer.  I think cosmetics are important in a product - I don't think I would have bought the amp if it looked like the previous design on his website.  But I also have to take into account several posters who already have warned about the DIY look to his amps, so I didn't expect Mark Levinson quality.  He is improving the looks as I have already said, but he still has problems.  They are annoying but not a huge deal IMO.  But I'm the kind of person who doesn't mind taking apart an amp to fix minor problems.  If the amp came from a high end company with similar offerings from the likes of Cayin, Western Electric, or various Western companies, it would be unacceptable to have these problems.  But Peter is running a home business, albeit now with two hired hands which I was not aware of.  So I am giving him some leeway.  BTW, he actually made some modifications to my amp to make it more flexible without charging me a cent extra.
« Last Edit: 5 Aug 2006, 12:19 pm by Dracule1 »

Frihed91

« Reply #13 on: 5 Aug 2006, 07:37 am »
He is a really good designer and his heart is in the right place.  The problem may be due to the large number of orders he's getting and difficulties in scaling up. Also, desgn is one thing; manufacturing another.  Anyway, I am hanging in there with him and hope to have anorder in the pipeline soon.

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 5 Aug 2006, 12:07 pm »
Frihed (John),

I think I may have sounded a little harsh when I brought up the issue with the transformer hum.  I do most of my listening late night when everything is almost dead quiet.  From my listening position during my late night sessions, I could hear the hum comming from the separate power supply transformer, but when the music starts you can't hear it 99% of the time - only during very quiet passages during some classical music can you hear the hum.  So I think you are making the right choice if sonics are your number one priority.  I think Peter will look into this matter more closely before he ships your amp out if you mention this issue.

Frihed91

« Reply #15 on: 5 Aug 2006, 02:20 pm »
I have absolutely no buzzes or hums coming from my existing SS system.  I talked with Peter about this already.  My SS system is 100% grounded in series and all components are connected to a common filter and outlet.  I plan to use the same approach for the tubes.  The rest of the stuff you mention does not bother me as much, although poor packing for a 4000 mile air journey does not sit well with me.

Is that your PP 150 on Audiogon?  The top of one of the output transformers looks a little bit askew. 

boead

« Reply #16 on: 5 Aug 2006, 05:12 pm »
Dracule1, I’m curious about the transformer buzz.

What did Peter say?

What you are speaking of is not that and it doesn’t come through the speakers, right? It’s a physical buzz that comes from the actually transformer, right?

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 5 Aug 2006, 10:02 pm »
My amp on audiogon?  Dear God no. I'm keeping mine.

The hum is comming from the power transformer itself. You can feel the transformer vibrate when you touch it.

You have to put your ear about 2 to 3 inches from the driver to hear any noise from the amp.

Peter and I are working on the problem.

Frihed91

« Reply #18 on: 6 Aug 2006, 08:03 am »
He just sent me some pictures of his PL-10 preamp with the new look, a big improvement.   However, it looks as if the transformer cover is pop rivetted in place.  I will ask for SS machine screws.  Is the transformer cover steel?  Perhaps the power transformer is incorrectly wired and is acting like a pulsing magnet causing the cover to vibrate? But then you would not hear music...

boead

« Reply #19 on: 6 Aug 2006, 03:18 pm »
He just sent me some pictures of his PL-10 preamp with the new look, a big improvement.   However, it looks as if the transformer cover is pop rivetted in place.  I will ask for SS machine screws.  Is the transformer cover steel?  Perhaps the power transformer is incorrectly wired and is acting like a pulsing magnet causing the cover to vibrate? But then you would not hear music...
LOL, could be mine. Peter just shipped my PL-10 last week. 

I ordered it with 6 inputs, 2 outputs and a 3rd ‘monitor’ output to send to a recording device (like a computer) or to another pre or integrated amp.
I also had the balance pot installed but bypassed internally. I really don’t want or need a balance pot (most Audiophile preamps don’t have one) but I had him install it anyway just in case I ever need it, it’s very difficult to put one in after the fact.

I have over a dozen pairs of vintage 12SN7’s for it already and a pair of Mullard (Blackburn planet) P500 sweep tubes for it. I also have a few different rectifiers that will work. I’m sort of expecting the differences to be subtle since Peter claims that there will be little audible differences between tubes but that’s what they all say ;-)

For me this was a worthwhile leap of faith in Peter. I have been wanting a headphone amp for some time.
My AVA T7 preamp has a very respectable headphone section but it’s a bit anemic.
I tried using my Decware SET amp but found the impedance mismatch robed too much bass and authority even with an ASL impedance device. Also the detail was way off the chart! Way too distracting and revealing for most of my music.
I used a vintage Kyocera and Sansui AU-9900 headphone sections but they were not stellar by any means (although a lot better then most sub $500 headphone amps!) McAlister got some rave reviews from Head-Fi members for his electrostatic headphone amps which is quite a compliment since they are comparing his $1000 to $2000 amps against $6000 to $10,000 amps!

I have also been wanting to try another preamp. I really like my Van Alstine T7 but it’s not terribly robust in character. I’m not sure the McAlister will be but from speaking to Peter (who has heard some AVA preamps and amps) he feels his preamp will be weightier and have more authority, this was his description before we discussed what I was looking for. Peter is also familiar with SinglePower headphone amps and feels his headphone amps and the PL-10 is a strong contender to anything Mikhail has to offer.
My headphones are Sennheiser HD-600’s and I have a Grado SR-225 and I would like a set of AKG K-1000’s which this amp can easily drive.

Still my primary usage for this PL-10 is as a preamp.

Rayd has very similar gear as me including a Decware Select SET amp. He’s trying Peters SET amp, I can’t wait to hear his impression in comparison to the Decware.