Shanling CD-T100 CD player w\aftermarket tubes

draco

Re: Shanling CD-T100 CD player w\aftermarket tubes
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jul 2006, 07:17 pm »
Quote from: Wind Chaser
Anyone wanting to know the limits of electrostatic speakers needs to try that disc.

John
:shake: :shake: :shake: :shake: Actually it is a trial of the limits of your audiophile nerve - just how boring of music IS one willing to listen to for the sake of excellent sound!?  That CD nearly shattered my will.  No longer can I experiment with CDs based solely on sound factor.  Perhaps playing that CD is what crippled the player.  The Shanling couldn't take the pretense! :lol:  Luckily the CD that came with the player had cool stuff on it alongside some moderately dull tripe.  But you aren't getting that, I'm keeping it. Nyah! That brings the total number of HDCDs in the world up to, umm...14 I think.  Oh, and the white glove isn't included - you'll just have to find your own or soak your hands in heptane before handling.

The Gallo Dues might sound interesting...I'm trying to find some non-permanent-install speakers for my car that I can actually aim at my head and not the glass.  (the battle against a 70db noise floor is a cruel, cruel task)

JoshK

« Reply #21 on: 28 Jul 2006, 09:28 pm »
I've never heard the CD, but I use to have the vinyl disc.  My point wasn't that it was great music... if I recall correctly it was more of a test record of sorts.  And as such it sure made the limits of my electrostats plain as day.  Music is fundamentally dynamic by nature, so no matter how revealing a speaker is, if it can't manage real dynamics, it's not a great speaker in my books.

Since this topic veered off without my doing....  My opinion is that revealing without dynamics is indeed boring, uninvolving and non-musical.  I like dynamics!

L'wood

« Reply #22 on: 24 Aug 2006, 01:47 am »
Now you're getting to the price of a used Eastern Electric Mini Max tube CDP...with a couple of mods, THAT is a sleeper!

Only noted since your 'auction' is more atune to a ramble.

L'wood

nathanm

« Reply #23 on: 27 Dec 2006, 03:44 am »
I finally sold this player, but the sale did not go well.  So I am posting again to let everyone know what a terrible, terrible person I am and not to ever have anything to do with me.  In fact, I am now an official "snake oil salesman"!  Wow!  Here's the cliff notes.  Normally it's a bad idea when people post about bad deals and whatnot, so if the moderator wishes to move this into Fight Club that's cool with me; no hard feelings at all.

So I basically modifed and reposted the ad copy from the top of this thread into an ad first on audioxsell and then on audiogon.  I included the laundry list of things that are wrong with the player.  I made it very clear the thing wasn't for sticklers.  Clearly Audiogon is WAY more popular as I received e-mails about it the same day after posting.  I finally got an offer from a nice guy whom I talked with on the phone about payment.  He sent me a money order and I sent the player out with all speed.  So far so good. 

So then I get an e-mail today from the buyer saying that he gave the player to his brother and he's having "extreme difficulty" with the unit, only the catch here is that he described EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEMS I SAID IT HAD.  Wants a refund or to be told how to fix it.  I repsond saying yes, that's what I said the issues were and how to get around them.  He asked if I was telling him "tough shit" to which I said no, I am saying "caveat emptor".  Then he accuses me of being dishonest, unloading my "crap" on him, and then the coup de grace; "You sir, are a snake oil salesman"!  Awesome!  Nobody's ever called me THAT before, not even when I was TRYING to sell people snake oil!  Scathing Audiogon feedback was promised, which I shall eagerly await.

So if I post an ad saying feature X doesn't work right and a buyer agrees to buy it anyway, then complains that feature X doesn't work right, well I don't know what to think except that the buyer doesn't know how to read.  Apparently long paragraphs of descriptions aren't enough for this person.  I also don't know why anyone would give a finicky piece of gear as a gift.  Seems rather foolish.

But it doesn't matter, I'm the bad guy, I'm the lying, sneaky scumbag here trying to unload useless equipment on an unsuspecting public!  It's entirely my fault.  Nobody should have to read anything ever, buying from Audiogon is just like buying from a retail chain, and the buyer shall be held blameless and have the right to 100% customer satisfaction.  Yeah...right.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 27 Dec 2006, 04:18 am »
That rocks, NathanM! :lol:

BubbleChamber

« Reply #25 on: 27 Dec 2006, 07:16 am »
Nathan,

Just want to let you know, I have the same Shanling CDT-100 myself (with the gold trim, and yes with the WE 396a tubes) and I have the same problem with the beginning of the first track skipping, for perhaps 1/10 of a second. I guess it's a common problem with the Shanling which doesn't bother me at all. Simply hit the rewind button on the remote and it plays the first track fine. The player is a beauty to the eyes and heaven to the ears.

My player however was fully modified. It costs $2700 new with the modification. So guys, it's a steal!!

Happy New Year!!

nathanm

« Reply #26 on: 27 Dec 2006, 03:42 pm »
Really?  Interesting!  The buyer asked me that question on the phone and I didn't know as I had no experience with any other CD-T100s.  I wonder if it is a mechanical issue or something with code inside a chip somewhere.  It's definitely annoying, I'll grant him that - but it's not like I claimed "Works great! Good as new!" and sold it to him, then yes in that case I would be a liar.  But really, a snake oil salesman?  I never said the player could cure gout or an ache in your shoulder! :P

The player also has trouble with burned CD-Rs I've noticed, although I think that has been said of many many CD players in general.  Something about non-Redbook discs.  Like it can't find a table of contents or something.  Not sure how it all works.  I've gone back to using my first Sony CD-player which I bought in high school.  It's clunky and plain, no shiny lights, not even a remote; but it does the trick.

nathanm

« Reply #27 on: 27 Dec 2006, 10:06 pm »
Here it is folks, the unvarnished truth of my evilness:

Member: Bstraus4
Action: Bought from me
Item: Shanling CD-T100
Price: $830.00

Submitted Rating: Negative
Submitted Feedback:
I feel as I have been had, this gentleman sold me a CD player in which he related minor flaws. I can barely get the damn thing to run at all. I spoke with him numerous times about the multitude of problems and how it only runs after trying multiple loads and he just said "tough Shit". Stay away from him at all cost, don't get screwed like I did.

The poor fellow acts like I sold him a faulty Sonicrock!  It's a real shame.  I will give him credit though, he has an excellent imagination.

Brad

« Reply #28 on: 27 Dec 2006, 10:16 pm »
So, what else ya got for sale Nathan  :wink:

If your ad mentioned the flaws, you did all you can do.
Some interesting folks out there....

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 27 Dec 2006, 11:03 pm »
What do you do now?  I realize nowadays A'gon requires you to accept the persons feedback before it's left- will you dispute it?  It would seem that comparing the fellow's emails to your original ad would reveal that you listed all those faults in the first place.  One would then think Agon would allow you to block the feedback.  Is that how it works?

tvad4

« Reply #30 on: 27 Dec 2006, 11:22 pm »
I recommend leaving him negative feedback in return. Succinctly state your case: that all problems with the player were disclosed in your listing and it was sold "as is". He'll likely withdraw his negative feedback.

A question, though. Audiogon always allows the recipient of negative feedback to dispute it. In almost all cases the negative feedback is never posted (making the Audiogon feedback system flawed, BTW). Why was this feedback posted? Or is it being disputed and it is not yet posted?

nathanm

« Reply #31 on: 27 Dec 2006, 11:30 pm »
I am not that upset about it.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy that he isn't happy with the player, but geez, I told him everything I could think of that someone would have an issue with.  Apparently my "minor problem" is his "MAJOR problem".  Subjective thing I guess.  I am not sure what I will do with Audiogon yet, but I am going to post the entire linear e-mail correspondence on my blog and let (really bored?) people decide if his negative feedback is accurate or not.  Yeah, it looks like I can disagree and post my reasons why before that gets posted.  I might do that.  Personally I think he's so in the wrong that it's amusing.

I don't sell lots of stuff on Audiogon so I am not too concerned, if anyone doesn't want to buy from me because of that comment then they're free to do so.  But I don't think the item was misrepresented in my ad at all.  I don't have perfect eBay feedback either for that matter.  It's not always easy to screw people over and get away with it as I like to do.

TomS

« Reply #32 on: 27 Dec 2006, 11:40 pm »
It may be my imagination, but most recently there seem to be more and more inexperienced and seriously lacking in knowledge buyers there, even on the high ticket items.  I've had 3 deadbeats of one sort or another in less than 2 weeks on my Wadia player.  Fortunately, I never closed or shipped it.  Two had very low feedback as it was, so I knew better.  Since the deals didn't go through I couldn't really leave them negative feedback, but I sure hope no one else does business with them.  Last month, I sold a Joule OPS2 to a guy that really had no idea what he was buying, which gave me the willies (like yours).  I cautioned him in every possible way, in writing, but he still bought it.  Fortunately once he got it, I think the sound was so overwhelmingly good he just said "thanks, it's awesome" and I haven't heard from him again.

I wouldn't accept any negative on Audiogon in your case.   As it is, it's so hard to get it to stick to anyone (for the reasons tvad4 hinted), that when it actually does, it really causes some concerns.  I would protect mine if I were you.  Good luck.

tvad4

« Reply #33 on: 27 Dec 2006, 11:44 pm »
I wouldn't accept any negative on Audiogon in your case.   As it is, it's so hard to get it to stick to anyone (for the reasons tvad4 hinted), that when it actually does, it really causes some concerns.  I would protect mine if I were you.  Good luck.

Precisely.

nathanm

« Reply #34 on: 27 Dec 2006, 11:51 pm »
I already left him positive feedback. I usually do that as soon as I get the money no matter who it is.  Now I suppose I should've waited, heh!

TomS

« Reply #35 on: 27 Dec 2006, 11:55 pm »
... uh, rule #2.  ALWAYS let them respond first, hopefully after they've had it a few days.  Either way, just don't accept his negative.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 28 Dec 2006, 01:08 am »
I can see why people usually wait til the buyer leaves feedback first, but I think you did the right thing, Nathan.  It's a pet peeve of mine when people won't leave me feedback til I've left it first.  One "problem" if you can call it that is that few Agon'er seem to leave feedback at all!  :o I've got all positive feedback, something like 5 or 6, but I've got probably 12-14 good transactions.  No one seems to bother giving me feedback. :scratch:  My eBay feedback has been all positive so far (knock on wood) with a lot of transactions.  There everyone gives feedback.  My theory is that it's because it's a lot easier to do so on eBay.

I'd definately dispute it.  I consider feedback very important; even tho the system is imperfect I generally won't buy from anyone with feedback worse than 99.0%.  The exceptions are guys with maybe 50 transactions and one negative, if nothing in the notes sounds funny.  I'll allow that some people are idiots and can't be satisfied, but a guy with 2500 transactions and 95% feedback rating has a lot of unhappy customers.

nathanm

« Reply #37 on: 28 Dec 2006, 01:53 am »
I have disputed his feedback.  We'll see what the Audiogon staff has to say.  I feel sorry for them, having to read all this junk!  Heh!  Anyway, if you're interested, here's a web page with a complete log of all the e-mails and the original ad copy:

http://home.wi.rr.com/saruman/shanling/shanling-email.html

Not strictly forensic in that I eliminated most of the header code, but I wanted to make it halfway readable.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 28 Dec 2006, 02:09 am »
Geez, the guys comes across as a dickhead.  If it were me I'd maybe refund his money, less shipping, and only after he sends the player.  But I sure don't blame you if you don't.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #39 on: 28 Dec 2006, 06:31 am »
Mr. Snake Oil Salesman......now thats funny. :P
All plain and simple reading on what problems there were with the player.... :roll:....he just had to read the ad.....

nathan...I'm surprised you send the player without having the M.O. in your hands....an email photo copy of the money order was ok for you ??? :o

I was thinking...if you wanted, you could e-mail me a picture of the MO
or the receipt before you send it off and I could ship out the player
tomorrow evening.

Featured