lamenting the demise of Dan Banquer's LNPA-150

Russell Dawkins

« on: 28 Mar 2006, 07:18 am »
Hi all,
I was browsing through Lynn Olson's description of his Ariel loudspeaker (interesting site) when I came upon this statement:

There are some very isolated folks who just can't get their hands on tube gear, or are afraid to make the leap to what to them is an alien technology. Unfortunately, good transistor amps are extremely rare; they measure nicely all right, but not very many are lifelike in the sense of delivering that "you-are-there" quality to music ... indeed, I would guess that many audiophiles have never heard that effect, even once, due to the degraded condition of modern electronics. Twenty years ago, transistor amps were brittle-sounding, grainy, and very two-dimensional sounding. Nowadays, transistor-amp designers have tweaked the "audiophile" breed of transistor amps to emulate the sound of mediocre tube amps ... sweet and rolled-off sounding, but with little realism or sense of depth. The grain and edge are gone, but so is much of the sense of life and sparkle in the music.

I know of exactly one transistor amplifier that avoids the trap of grain-n-grit on one hand and audiophile flatness on the other ... in short, it sounds just like a really good triode amp, but with more power! Unfortunately, it's not well known, so don't expect to see it at most dealerships. This unit is: the R.E. Designs LNPA-150. This 75-watt transistor power amplifier has the immediacy, the clarity, and the musical rightness of direct-heated triode amps ... but is a completely different technology. How is it done? Don't ask me ... transistor electronics are not my specialty. But it is possible if you move away from universe of conventional high-end audio.

http://www.nutshellhifi.com/Arieltxt2.html#xt

In his review for Positive Feedback, he says there had been only three amps he found it difficult to part with after the review - the Audio Note Ongaku ($85,000), the WAVAC 833 ($35,000) and Dan's LNPA-150 ($3,295).

Makes me wish Dan Banquer was still in the fray with RE Designs.  :(

eric the red

Re: lamenting the demise of Dan Banquer's LNPA-150
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2006, 07:51 am »
"Makes me wish Dan Banquer was still in the fray with RE Designs."

What happened to RE designs? They still have a web page. Did I miss something here? :scratch:
http://www.redesignsaudio.com/

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2006, 10:09 am »
I dunno but there's a thread here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=24236

nathanm

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2006, 11:42 pm »
Sometimes I wonder if I am missing anything by not mating the SCPA with their natural brother but alas, it would've broken the bank.   (Not like a WAVAC though, apparently.)  For all I know I could be unwittingly dealing with lateness, cloudiness and musical wrongness at this very moment!  :sad:

Dan Banquer

Lamenting the demise of the R.E. Designs
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2006, 12:15 pm »
I think this makes it official:
http://www.redesignsaudio.com/service.html
             d.b.

Turk

« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2006, 01:26 pm »
Mglausha and I have sequential serialed pairs.  They may be the last pairs Dan produced, don't know.  I do know they are really the finest transistor amps I have owned.  They drive the Meadowlark BH2s with authority for a rated 150 watts into 4ohms.

Another reason I love these amps is that many transistor amps seem to over portray the bass.  A lot of tube amps are accused of "lacking" bass.  I am inclined to believe that neither approach to bass is as accurate as the LNPAs.

All the amps I have owned or listened to don't seem to strike the very musical balance the LNPA's do with the bass.  I am sure this is also a matter of taste for many.  Maybe an unconscious pollution of reality by too much home theater and auto sound and less experience with live orchestras and jazz groups.  

We really are developing a special effects mentality about bass reproduction.  

No, these are probably not the amps for power hungry speakers, we tried them on PeteG's Continuums and they fell short.  

I do like tubes...I do tire, however, of the extra work and $100 small signal tubes and $300 power tubes.

At their price and level of quality they were a steal for music lovers.  Too bad more folks have never heard these amps.

Dan Banquer

Lamenting the demise of the LNPA 150
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2006, 03:23 pm »
"We really are developing a special effects mentality about bass reproduction. "

Absolutely! One of the issues that I thought plagued SS power amp design was the "overblown" bass response. This is really not a frequency response issue or really a power issue, but it certainly appears to be more of an amplifier control issue.

"No, these are probably not the amps for power hungry speakers, we tried them on PeteG's Continuums and they fell short. "

From what I have been told these early edition units had crossovers with a 1 ohm impedance dip, or dips. If that is indeed the case then the LNPA 150 was never designed for 1 ohm loads but a minimum of 2 ohms. In addition, from what I have been told, the crossover on that particular speaker has been changed, but I am unaware of the full details. Please contact SP Tech for further information.
                d.b.