All data is now up on the amp comparison

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« on: 9 Mar 2006, 08:26 pm »
Just follow the links...

http://www.gr-research.com/amps/amps.htm

I thought that I would start a new thread so you guys could discuss the results here in the main Audio Central forum.

I know everyone has been waiting patiently for these to be posted. Thanks for waiting, and I am sorry that it took so long to get it all put together. It was a lot of work and my time has really been limited.

Have fun, we sure did.

BradJudy

« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2006, 08:47 pm »
Sounds like I need to pick up a couple of T-amps.  :)  I've been meaning to try one on my PC, but I"ve never gotten around to it.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2006, 09:10 pm »
"There were three top amps. Superphon, Dodd amp, and the Sonic T-amp.

That's amazing!  :o  I wonder what the outcome would have been had a Charlize, Clari-T and Super T was thrown into the mix?

For the record, I recently had an Audio Refinement Complete (aka: YBA Integre) in the house.  The Sonic Impact trounced it in every way except for sheer power and bass.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2006, 09:12 pm »
What is even more amazing is... "For the comparisons it (Sonic Impact) was run off of an inexpensive Radio Shack wall wort."

kfr01

Surprised at Exodus results...
« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2006, 09:15 pm »
Very interesting.

I was surprised to see the scores on the Exodus UCD 400 amplifier.

I thought it was quite nice when I demoed the unit in home.  I thought the imaging was very good, bass grip excellent, and overall sound impressive for a <$1,500 amplifier.  The noise floor was quite low when driving my speakers.

That said, your tower speaker looks pretty efficient; doubtless much more efficient than my 2641s.  I wonder if that's one reason I didn't notice a significant noise floor.

I will agree that the first few watts of the midrange seemed slightly less musical than other amplifiers I am used to...

In other news, I am placing orders for Sonic Impact T-amps as I type this...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-956

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2006, 09:15 pm »
Yea, that little T-amp is a gem.

I normally have it hooked up to my computer too.

It really does sound better than a lot of very expensive amps. It really sounds just as good as the front end.

I remember when we got down to those last three amps and Russman said something about going with which ever one of these three was the cheapest. It was hard not to smile, thinking little does he know that one cost $20.

Brian asked me once durning the event if I could give them a cost range of all the amps and I just couldn't do it. It would have blown the whole deal if I would have said, yea the range is $2,600. to $20. I don't think that would have slipped by. I had to tell him that I couldn't. There was a reason why I couldn't and he'd just have to wait.

What is even more amazing is... "For the comparisons it (Sonic Impact) was run off of an inexpensive Radio Shack wall wort."

Yea, it clearly sounds even better on batteries.

miklorsmith

« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2006, 09:16 pm »
It looks like the TNT and 6moons articles weren't all hyperbole after all.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2006, 09:19 pm »
I was surprised to see the scores on the Exodus UCD 400 amplifier.

I believe Kevin is working on a new power supply that might step it up a few notches. Keep in mind that the only difference between it and the Dodd amp that everyone liked was the power supply. Gary Dodd bought the modules from Kevin and they were stock modules.

Kishore

« Reply #8 on: 9 Mar 2006, 09:48 pm »
:inlove:  Great comparison Danny- well worth the wait :)

I am curious if you/anyone has tried the Sonic Impact Amp with low efficiency speakers and how well they perform? Buying 3 of these would be perfect for HT in an apartment :)

Cheers,
Kishore

Adamay

Nuforce
« Reply #9 on: 9 Mar 2006, 09:59 pm »
Thanks very much, Danny.  As a very happy Nuforce (8.02) owner, I was disappointed to see them pull out.  I must say I am puzzled by your experience with the Nuforces, as I have never experienced any white noise or the other issues you mentioned.  Last summer, I auditioned a battery-powered Sonic Impact t-amp against the Nuforces, and came away with the Nuforces.  The Sonic Impact seemed very thin from the mid-range on down.  Example: Greg Brown and other deep male voices had little "depth;" Joni Mitchell's voice even lacked a certain depth.  The upper frequencies, however, were magic. The Nuforces, by contrast, had it all, from bottom to top.  Speakers are the venerable GR-Research Paradox 3's, 91.5 db (I was one of the first purchasers/builders of these, and have hung onto them ever since -- btw, thanks again, Danny, for a great pair of speakers).  Preamp is the Don Allen custom tube linestage.  Thanks again for the review, fun reading.

cab

« Reply #10 on: 9 Mar 2006, 10:06 pm »
Interesting reading- thanks for all the effort that went into it....

Tooo bad there wasn't a bigger Icepower presence, given all the commercial products using the B&0 modules (H2O, EAR, Rowland, PS Audio, Bel Canto, etc.). Would have been nice to have seen a Spectron, modded Hypex (a la CIA) and Nuforce as well...

Hope you find time to do a follow-up with more amps as per above....

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 9 Mar 2006, 10:18 pm »
Quote from: Kishore
I am curious if you/anyone has tried the Sonic Impact Amp with low efficiency speakers and how well they perform? Buying 3 of these would be perfect for HT in an apartment :)

I used a Sonic Impact to power the Jordan JX92S for a while.  The JX92S is rated 88 db @ 1 watt.  The little Sonic Impact amplifier plays plenty loud and sounds very good with these drivers.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #12 on: 9 Mar 2006, 10:29 pm »
I might well own the three best non-tube amps in the world....Sonic Impact, TEAC A-L700p and Odyssey Khartago  :lol:

Great work , Danny - thanks for all your illuminating efforts!

ss397

« Reply #13 on: 9 Mar 2006, 10:45 pm »
i'm amazed at the results from the event. the sonic impact amp is a true gem, especially for the money. i have used one for about a year for a portable system and been very impressed. i guess all the amp designers should have one as a benchmark, when they get a better sound they will have something. hopefully the price of the higher power digital amps will start to drop as well.

bhobba

« Reply #14 on: 9 Mar 2006, 11:47 pm »
A terrfic post/effort/event.  Of course many thanks to Danny for doing it.

Looks like the little T amp done it again.  I have been saying for some time people with reasonable efficiency speakers should at least give its more refined sibling the Charlise a try - at $100 what have you to loose?

I would have liked to see the Panny XR55 in the mix.  I have read at least one blind test where it was not possible to tell it from the sonic t except for the obvious greater power.

For those just starting in Hi Fi I believe a Panny XR55 and the best speakers you can afford would be an excellent choice.  Then you can listen to various amps to your hearts content and get the one that suits you best.  Indeed I suspect beating the 55 will not be easy.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #15 on: 9 Mar 2006, 11:49 pm »
Quote from: TheChairGuy
I might well own the three best non-tube amps in the world....Sonic Impact, TEAC A-L700p and Odyssey Khartago

Hi Chair Guy

Would that include the Van Alstine you posted about a while back?

Thanks
Bill

Charles Calkins

« Reply #16 on: 10 Mar 2006, 12:17 am »
Now let me see if I got this right. If I'm reading Danny's article right the sonic-T-amp drove those very large speakers used in the shootout with enough oomph to make everybody sit up and listen. Very hard for me to believe. To me it's like putting a 4cyl. engine in a Mack truck and trying to make the truck go. Very hard for me to believe.

Cheers
                 Charlie

brj

« Reply #17 on: 10 Mar 2006, 12:21 am »
Nice work, Danny!

To those commenting on the T-amp, keep in mind that one reason that it worked as well as it did was that Danny's speakers are 91 dB efficient with a nominal 8 Ohm load.  When auditioning it, we also didn't play tracks that were especially bass heavy or otherwise demanded a great deal of current.  In addition, the subwoofer modules on the speakers were turned off once the comparisons started.

(Toward the end of the afternoon, we played the Burmeister Chinese drum track on the other two generally preferred amps, but Danny declined when I asked him to play it on the T-amp.... I didn't realize why until after he identified the amps for us. :)  When playing that track, the other amps had the guts to make Danny's living room plant sway in the breeze emanating from the speaker ports, but I have no doubt that the T-amp would have been a smoking hulk! :lol:)

I suspect that lows and even mids would definitely sound anemic when pushing a T-amp past where it wants to go, but that is a most likely a limit imposed by the power output of the amp rather an intrinsic sonic quality.  Even with efficient speakers, 6W can only go so far.

That said, I'd like to see a Tripath based active setup at some point.  Battery powered 6W Tripath on the tweeters... battery powered 30W Tripath (ala Vinnie) on the mids... maybe a power conditioned UcD180 on the woofers...  That would be quite a system!

In the mean time, I'll definitely be watching the evolution of Hypex and TACT based solutions as I consider amps for my own 85 dB sensitive speakers.  The core technologies of both solutions show a lot of promise, with clear benefits to be had from good power supplies and plenty of room left for further tweaking.

One additional, unrelated comment... I wish we had had enough time to go back and test some of the amps when plugged into a power conditioner.  While all of the other AC powered gear was plugged into a Dodd 1.5kVA power conditioner, the decision was made to plug the amps directly into the wall so as not to mask the abilities or limits of their respective power supplies.  This was a valid approach, and usually recommended for high current amps, but the differences would have been interesting nonetheless.

(Of course, there are apartment buildings in NY that probably have more residents than Danny's town, so clean power may not have been a problem for him! :lol:)

TheChairGuy

« Reply #18 on: 10 Mar 2006, 12:28 am »
Quote from: bhobba
Hi Chair Guy

Would that include the Van Alstine you posted about a while back?

Thanks
Bill

Hey Bill/bhobba,

Nope, sold it for the Khartago....explained here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=25408&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=van+alstine&start=20

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #19 on: 10 Mar 2006, 01:12 am »
hello, from my understanding gary's amp has a built in balanced power conditioner/supply. since the others were not hooked up to a balanced power conditioner(supply) was/is this an unfair advantage for the dodd amp?