Felix project

kyrill

Re: Felix project
« Reply #180 on: 21 Apr 2008, 11:54 am »
suppose yr speakers are boxes with a tap
it releases red wine
yr amplifier is the wonder machine that changes water in wine. ( hmm, has heard this before  :scratch:)
the quality (Q.)  of the wine depends
on the recipe the machine accepts as input ( musical input)
The machine needs another input "water" ( the AC from  the wall outlet)

Can you imagine how the Q. of the wine basically starts with the Q. of the water?
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2008, 01:36 pm by kyrill »

BobM

« Reply #181 on: 21 Apr 2008, 01:33 pm »
I'm getting thirsty! :drool:

mluckow

« Reply #182 on: 25 Apr 2008, 04:20 am »
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm relatively new to high-end audio.  I'm currently building a Felix and I'm wondering if anyone has advice about using it with a surge suppressor.  Is that not recommended?  I've heard that surge suppressors can cause noise, but I'm worried that my audio equipment could be damaged by spikes or surges, so I've been using one for that reason.

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Mike

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #183 on: 26 May 2008, 06:20 pm »
I wanted to share my observations on the Felix made from the group buy parts with my PS audio C-100 with cullen modifications. The rest of my system includes the GR-Research OB7's for speakers and CD player is Onix cd-5,  Reality Cables SC's, Anticable's IC's.

This felix used:
Vishay/BC MKP 338 X1 set of two 1.0 uF, two 0.1 uF and two 0.01 uF
8118-RC - 7.3mH 9.3A

It is built in a radioshack abs enclosure, wired in the middle of a Volex power cord from which the C-100 is powered, directly.

Initial impressions was that I heard a little bit of infrequent clicking static, as you might hear on a record -but that was just on the track and I hadn't noticed it before... When I replaced the plain volex, it was there too I just hadn't listened to it that closely before. This was on Alicia keys "As I am" album tracks 4 and 5 "No one" and "Never see me again", respectively.

Then I listened to some tracks again, and in comparison I felt when the felix was powering the amp, it did NOT have the same life in the music. There was a loss of air and openness in the presentation. I won't be using it on the amp.  I feel these characteristics are the real strength of this amp/speaker combination, so I was pretty disappointed to see this -gilding the lily, I guess...

I am going to go ahead and build another one with the P3717-A - 25mH 3A  and try that on the cd-player though, and see if I notice any improvements.

-Tony

kyrill

« Reply #184 on: 28 May 2008, 03:45 pm »
hi

Paul is right, a "superb" filtered pws should not benefit from the Felix, however why should it sound w less life?
Less micro dynamics i would expect

If you have a very transparent setup and just as or better "transparent" ears you should hear the Felix needs 200 hrs burn in time. Have you tried that? Also at that level all interactions can be heard, so cables to and from the Felix should not be hindered by other factors A Felix shielded if you prefer that. Of course it should be soldered all right, and i would avoid  two AC fuses in a sequence (one in the Felix, one in the pws)

TomW16

« Reply #185 on: 28 May 2008, 06:52 pm »
I put eight Felixs into a Welborne Gatekeeper, which was a very tight fit and, I assume because of the close spacing of the Felixs, an audible hum could be heard when I powered it up.  Once the lid was installed and the power filter was put behind the components, I could not hear any hum without my ear being within a foot or so of the filter so I didn't bother trying to correct it.

Kyrill, I noted that you recommended not putting two fuses in series.  I have that situation in that there is a 15A fuse for the Gatekeeper hot line and then I installed individual fuses for each Felix (3A slow blow and 10A fast blow).  Would this provide some sonic degradation?  I could simply bypass the 15A fuse noting that the other fuses are there to protect each Felix.  I know that my amp also has a fuse in series so that is 3!

I initially thought that the power filter took away some air in recordings but upon more critical listening it was simply a blacker presentation.  All of the information was still there and actually provided a quieter background to more easily hear ambient information that seemed to be obscured before.  My power filter is staying in the system. 

Cheers,
Tom
« Last Edit: 29 May 2008, 01:18 am by TomW16 »

Ichinichi

« Reply #186 on: 29 May 2008, 01:27 am »
could you post larger versions of these photos?

i'll do it...

Ichinichi

« Reply #187 on: 29 May 2008, 01:37 am »
I put eight Felixs into a Welborne Gatekeeper, which was a very tight fit and, I assume because of the close spacing of the Felixs, an audible hum could be heard when I powered it up.  Once the lid was installed and the power filter was put behind the components, I could not hear any hum without my ear being within a foot or so of the filter so I didn't bother trying to correct it.

Kyrill, I noted that you recommended not putting two fuses in series.  I have that situation in that there is a 15A fuse for the Gatekeeper hot line and then I installed individual fuses for each Felix (3A slow blow and 10A fast blow).  Would this provide some sonic degradation?  I could simply bypass the 15A fuse noting that the other fuses are there to protect each Felix.  I know that my amp also has a fuse in series so that is 3!

I initially thought that the power filter took away some air in recordings but upon more critical listening it was simply a blacker presentation.  All of the information was still there and actually provided a quieter background to more easily hear ambient information that seemed to be obscured before.  My power filter is staying in the system. 

Cheers,
Tom

Tom,

How large is that enclosure?

Ichinichi

« Reply #188 on: 29 May 2008, 01:56 am »
My understanding is that a balanced Felix power center uses a choke between the toroid and every single outlet of the power center with three lines of caps along the path before and after the choke.

Questions:

Given the choke I have (Hammond 193L; 5 Henries), the toroid I have (Plitron 2000VA; http://www.plitron.com/shopping/specs/857502.pdf) and what Occam posted on page 1:

"The potential problem with a single CMC before the paralleled (CMCs + xxx + outlet) is that that single CMC would have to pass the total of all the currents whereas those paralleled CMCs only pass the current associated with its individual outlet. The same caveat would apply to a CMC that feeds the unit or a balancing transformer. I'm not saying its impractical, just that its easier to source a CMC that won't saturate when feeding the lesser draw of an individual component."

1. Does that mean I'm better off using my choke to feed the toroid because I already have the items in hand? I mean, the only issue Occam raises in the quote above is the practicality/ease of sourcing a CMC that can pass the total of all the currents in the box, right?

2. Can some one give me a guess or actual value of how big each point-to-point Felix using the CMCs like what Tom has would be?

3. Tom above speculates about how hum may be due to proximity of each individual Felix pipeline to others - I guess I can have the outlets on either side of the toroid with the toroid in the middle...ideas? What is the minimal spacing between the CMC and the caps as well as between the caps themselves?
« Last Edit: 29 May 2008, 04:07 am by Ichinichi »

TomW16

« Reply #189 on: 29 May 2008, 05:07 am »
Tom,

How large is that enclosure?

Hi Ichinichi,

The Welborne GateKeeper case is 11.5" deep x 9" high by 5" wide.  It looked like adequate room to start with but it ended up being tight.  It all fit in though.

Cheers,
Tom

P.S.  You'll have to tell me how you enlarged the photos.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2008, 05:20 am by TomW16 »

kyrill

« Reply #190 on: 29 May 2008, 09:58 am »
just that its easier to source a CMC that won't saturate when feeding
this is the reason Paul primarily means, i assume

i use
wall outlet-->small balanced transformer #1-->Felix-->component A
              -->small balanced transformer #2-->Felix-->component B
              -->small balanced transformer #3-->Felix-->component C
wall outlet-big balanced transformer-->Felix-->component 1
                                                -->Felix-->component 2
                                                -->Felix-->component 3
So in this configuration already 6 Felixes and 4  balanced transformers
Ichinichi
Yes i try to avoid wire fuses as much as possible
it is not only the wire, the whole package was never designed for sound, but for security ( like enclosures, they too are not designed for sound, otherwise they would be completely differently designed)
« Last Edit: 29 May 2008, 05:47 pm by kyrill »

GBB

« Reply #191 on: 29 May 2008, 02:01 pm »
Questions:

Given the choke I have (Hammond 193L; 5 Henries), the toroid I have and what Occam posted on page 1:

1. Does that mean I'm better off using my choke to feed the toroid because I already have the items in hand? I mean, the only issue Occam raises in the quote above is the practicality/ease of sourcing a CMC that can pass the total of all the currents in the box, right?

Ichi,
Conventional chokes, like the Hammond, and the CMCs used in the Felix are completely different.  You can not use a conventional choke in place of a CMC.  CMCs are designed to have very low loss at the frequency of the power lines (60hz) but much higher loss at higher frequencies.  Conventional chokes are meant as power supply filters and will have too much loss in a power line filter.

---Gary

Ichinichi

« Reply #192 on: 29 May 2008, 03:35 pm »
Ah. Is there any benefit to placing the Hammond between the wall and my toroid?

Ichinichi

« Reply #193 on: 29 May 2008, 03:45 pm »
P.S.  You'll have to tell me how you enlarged the photos.

change the address you put in for the image from

"http://www.audiocircle.com/gallery/albums/userpics/48223/thumb_IMG_7451.JPG"

to

http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=14693

Ichinichi

« Reply #194 on: 1 Jun 2008, 12:30 am »
NO one can help?  :scratch:

nature boy

« Reply #195 on: 1 Jun 2008, 11:57 am »
Well the first Felix box with two AC receptacles has been finished by good old Gordy.  After soldering boards on a visit a couple weeks ago, he spent about 4 hours yesterday wiring and soldering the first box which includes two AC receptacles.

Materials included:

(1) Bud Industries PRM-14462 - Plastic Rack Mount Box
(4) 3 amp CMC Felix boards - thanks Brad for the group buy.
(2) Pass & Seymour 8300 MRI-Grey AC receptacles.
A DC blocker courtesy of Gordy.
(1) Volex 17604 (old version) power cord.
Some very nice 12 AWG silver coated copper hook up wire.  Teflon covered of course.
(1) Fuse holder and fuse.
Various screws, metal risers and electrical connectors.

Here are a few pictures from the build.  Thanks a TON Gordy for your patience.

A completed Felix board.  Nice soldering job Gordy.

Gordy back to soldering.  Damn I need a cigarette break.

Completed box top view.  Nice job Gordy!

Finished box, rear view with AC receptacles and power cord.  DC blocker and fuse to left.

Close up of Felix boards and wiring to AC receptacles.  Red wires hot, black neutral and green is ground.  Very clean wiring Gordy!

Here is a side view showing the Felix boards sitting on metal screwed in risers.

The Bud Industries box worked out perfectly providing plenty of space for 4 Felix boards, 2 AC receptacles, wiring, DC blockers, etc.  Gordy used a dremel and template for cutting the AC receptacle and power cord holes.

The build did leave some screw heads on the bottom of the enclosure.  I will be using some footers on the corners to elevate the box and prevent scratching my of my audio rack shelves.

This Felix will be used in my two-channel system for a line stage preamp, turntable, phono preamp, and CD player.  I plan to build two more, one for my HT system and one for my bedroom two channel system.
I think I'll give Gordy a break though, what a great guy!

What do you say Gordy, time for a Philly pretzel break??

NB

Philistine

« Reply #196 on: 1 Jun 2008, 01:47 pm »
Thats a really nice job Gordy made, and great photo's also.  Thanks for posting these.
Having zero soldering and electrical skills I just look on the Felix stuff with envy  :green:

Interesting to get your impression on the sonic performance Nature Boy.

kyrill

« Reply #197 on: 1 Jun 2008, 03:32 pm »
Nice rifle in the background
.22 ?

In holland i would get years of prison for that :(

PS it looks like the box could accommodate 6 Felixes?

nice job :D the box will not shield its innards, no?

nature boy

« Reply #198 on: 1 Jun 2008, 03:52 pm »
Nice rifle in the background
.22 ?

In holland i would get years of prison for that Sad

PS it looks like the box could accommodate 6 Felixes?

nice job Very Happy the box will not shield its innards, no?

It's BB gun, not a .22. 

The Bud Industries box might accommodate 6 Felix's but you don't want
the CMC's to be too close together.   ABS box will not shield the
innards, but I have it on a separate rack shelf far enough away
from other equipment it doesn't matter.

NB

SET Man

« Reply #199 on: 1 Jun 2008, 04:15 pm »
Hey!

Wow... that's very neat and clean. :D

And he even wear an Audio Circle T-shirt while doing it. :lol: