Extremis as Sub?

OBF

Extremis as Sub?
« on: 27 Jan 2006, 01:28 am »
This may seem like a weird question, but Kevin (or anybody) do you know of anyone who has used the Extremii (sp?) for bottom octave bass?  I know you use them in 3 ways, but I'm thinking in a sub box by themselves.  Here's why:  I want to build some subs to use with a Tact 2.2x and the recommendation is to cross them fairly high (like as high as 250-400hz).  The idea is a 'quick' woofer that won't get muddy.

The recommended Lyngdorf specd woofers are horribly expensive and I don't think I need 4 10" woofers (2 per box).

I'm sure there are plenty of options, but I was thinking the Extremis is reasonably priced, would probably work in a smaller enclosure, and when eq'd by the TacT might have plenty of output with 2 of them (or 4).  I would probably use a burly pro amp so I would think headroom shouldn't be an issue with the eq boost.  My room is approx 3,100ft2 and I tend to listen fairly loud (90-100db)

Do you think this would be a bad idea?  There was a thread back in Sept, but it was a somewhat different application for a small system.

Kevin Haskins

Extremis as Sub?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2006, 04:39 pm »
Actually this is a great use for the Extremis.   I wouldn't classify it as an idea bottom octave driver (20Hz-40Hz) but it is about the only thing going that is small and will get you up to your crossover point.   It will certainly get you into the bottom octave but for true bottom octave work you need large high excursion drivers.  

Depending on your room I think you will find that two Extremis per side offers plenty of low frequency output.

CJ Paul

Extremis as Sub?
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2006, 07:53 pm »
I use one as a car sub because I drive a truck and had limited space.  I built a ported sonosub with a single extremis.  It hits hard even though the enclosure is still not optimal.  If I ever got rid of the truck and got an SUV (likely next choice) and built an ideal box, I could see this being even better.

kfr01

Re: Extremis as Sub?
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2006, 08:09 pm »
Quote from: OBF
This may seem like a weird question, but Kevin (or anybody) do you know of anyone who has used the Extremii (sp?) for bottom octave bass?  I know you use them in 3 ways, but I'm thinking in a sub box by themselves.  Here's why:  I want to build some subs to use with a Tact 2.2x and the recommendation is to cross them fairly high (like as high as 250-400hz).  The idea is a 'quick' woofer that won't get muddy.

The recommended Lyngdorf specd woofers are horribly expensive and I don't think I need 4 10" woof ...

I think this would be a great idea.  Al from rawacoustics is actually going to be going something like this using line arrays and DEQX:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=23388&highlight=extremis

OBF

Extremis as Sub?
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2006, 02:41 am »
Thanks for the comments guys, that's helpful.  I should probably check in with Al to see how these are working for his applications, but he obviously likes them.

It sounds like I might be able to get by with 2 woofers, but probably not the true performace I'd really want.  I notice that Al is using them in pairs and even 4 per side which would get very expensive.

I suppose to keep my cost down I could buy 2 and build some cheap cabinets to start and then if I find that it's just not enough output buy 2 more and build new, permanent boxes.  I'm guessing that 2 per side would be more optimal with a 4 ohm impedance instead of 8, plus halving the excusion at low frequencies.

DanWiggins

• Acoustic Development Inc.
Extremis as Sub?
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2006, 09:11 pm »
It will work, as long as you don't try to push it too deep or too loud.  They're potent woofers, with lots of stroke, but they still are a 7" woofer!  A pair per side, though, would work really well (I would think).

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio®