The ULTIMATE Squeeze Box Power Supply

Wayne1

« on: 10 Dec 2005, 11:11 pm »

Here is the last new power supply for this year :D

I have taken all I have learned from the listening sessions of different versions of power supplies for the Squeeze box and put it this large box.

It starts with an Oyaide Silver and Rhodium plated IEC connector. ALL the AC wiring is solid core, 99.9995% pure Silver, cryo-treated, inside of Teflon tubing. The AC fuse holder is a cryo-treated,  Silver Plated, Acme Audio.

The transformer is the same as used in all the Bolder Cable SB Power Supplies.

There are a pair of Silver Slipstream Bybee Purifiers in the AC line right before the HexFRED rectifiers.

Two Panasonic Low ESR caps with a Sonicap Bypass cap are right after the diodes.

More Silver wiring goes to the next circuit board where there are TWO exotic Jensen four pole caps. One before the regulator and one after.

Copper cored Silver wiring brings the DC to a Neutrik Silver plated connector to go out to the SB.

This is a cost no object design to find out just how good the SB can sound with an outrageous power supply.

Ths will play in my system for a few weeks and then we will have another listening session of all the different power supplies we have here in the Denver area.

tianguis

Wow!
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2005, 06:55 pm »
Wayne:
       I'm drooling! What a choice of parts. Extremely nice.

Larry

DeadFish

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2005, 07:54 pm »
Yer killing me Wayne!

You mean it can get better than I heard last nite???

Thanks again for your work on the SB project (and your loaners to the Gas Group).  Looking forward to views on what more this unit can bring to the party.

Best Regards,
DeadFish

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2005, 08:23 pm »
DF,

Did Scott use the hyper expensive double Bybee power cabel I sent him to try?

Our listening sessions found quite an improvement when Bybees were used in the AC line.

The Jensen caps isolate everything before and after them by design.

We found that while battery power supplies are rather quite, they do nto have the last octave bass and dynamic range that AC power supplies do. This design is intended to be at least as quiet ans a battery, but with quite a bit more "kick-ass" :lol:

I have also used a different geometry for the cable that goes from the PS to the SB.

More later.

davehg

• http://musicserver.blogspot.com
Totally cool, Wayne!!
« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2005, 05:37 am »
Now get cracking on the rest of our deluxe power supplies  :D

Anxiously awaiting my modified SB3 tomorrow, but more anxiously awaiting a DEEEE lUxxxxx PS.

It's not nice to make obsessive compulsive audiophiles wait... :evil:

DeadFish

« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2005, 07:51 am »
Hey Wayne,
I'm sorry but I don't really know if the power cable Scott used was the particular one you refer to.  I don't remember anyone saying so, but if I remember right, there was at least one cable with similar covering to your Nitro cables...  I did get the feeling that the SB was given every opportunity and leg-up to sound good, and I believe it provided everything one might ask.  The difference between the stock and your modified units was absolutely in-your-face there, as the modded ones added breadth and depth, without looking for them.  Really, really good stuff, and this is from someone with a known bias against digital who didn't want to like the SB!
If you were to look at the shot Scott put on our most recent GAS thread of the lot of us, it was taken while A-B-C-D'ing the 3 units and the Wadia, out of the 14 of us showing, no one was flapping their gums.  Some heavy conversion going on there, so you are doing something right.
Of course, everyone's mileage varies, and the only nits I could pick with music I knew well I'm banking were from differences in my home hardware.
Now I just have to save up to get one there! :-)
Am looking forward to just how far you can push this thing!

Best Regards,
DeadFish

Scott F.

« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2005, 01:21 pm »
Quote from: Wayne1
DF,

Did Scott use the hyper expensive double Bybee power cabel I sent him to try? ...

Hiya Guys,

The way I had it set up was the unit that had (what I'll call) the level 1 mods drove the Audio Note DAC. The stand alone unit was your uber modded unit.

I wish it would have dawned on me to unplug the Level 1 modded unit from the AN DAC so the guys could have heard the difference but obviously I spazzed out (again).

Hey Bill, I'll have the units here for a few more weeks while I actually write the reviews if you want to stop back by. We can goof around comparing the two of them.

DeadFish

« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2005, 01:48 pm »
Sounds great Scott, if that offer extends beyond Xmas day, I really want to take you up on that.  From here on in with both jobs, I'm on 6 day weeks until 'X' day.  
It is *good* to be horney for music again! :-)
Maybe I can drag some decent Dead flac files with me..
Much obliged for the offer.

DF

Wayne1

« Reply #8 on: 13 Dec 2005, 03:52 pm »
Deluxe power supplies are being build this week. Then I will wait until after the new year to order more cases. I think the Jensen caps will make quite a difference, Unfortunately they are too tall to fit in this current Deluxe case.

In time, I hope to offer most of what is in the Ultimate in the Deluxe for about $1000.00

pjchappy

« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2005, 09:06 pm »
scott,

maybe I can stop by sometime and check all this kewl stuff out. . . and get a 'lesson' in vinyl.  :wink:

things have just been busy as hell. . .   :evil:

p

Scott F.

« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2005, 09:32 pm »
Quote from: pjchappy
scott,

maybe I can stop by sometime and check all this kewl stuff out. . . and get a 'lesson' in vinyl.  :wink:

things have just been busy as hell. . .   :evil:

p

Paul,
It would be great if you could make it by. It seems since you are the new legal slave, they've kept you pretty busy  :D

Deadfish and Paul,
I'll be playng hookie from work until after the first of the year starting this weekend. Plan a day and give me a buzz, I should be here. We can play with all of the cool toys Wayne sent :mrgreen:

DeadFish

« Reply #11 on: 15 Dec 2005, 03:50 am »
Sounds great to me Scott.  Perhaps the week after Christmas for me.

I definitely want more listening! ;-)

ctviggen

« Reply #12 on: 15 Dec 2005, 12:55 pm »
Hey Wayne, I noted that you put the transformer far away from everything.  I'm reading a book called "High-Power Audio Amplifier Construction Manual", and it has a good idea regarding determining how much and in what direction EMI is being emitted from a transformer.   You power up the first transformer.   You take a second transformer and connect it to an oscillosocpe and move it around the first transformer.  Using this method, you can tell where the EMI would be emitted such that you could rotate the first transformer during use.  Anyway, I thought this was interesting, even though you placed your transformer so far away from anything I doubt it would matter.