More fun with the FR125S!

mcgsxr

« on: 20 Nov 2005, 10:30 pm »
I have posted in the past that I like these little guys, and have also built up the KIT41, thanks to my friends at CSS, out on my West coast.

My wife and I just had a new addition to the family (a new daughter named Cadence Megan) and that (for whatever reason...) always sparks me to experiment with audio!

So, I took out the pair of FR125's that I had in storage, and stared at them.  Then I wandered out to the garage, and noticed some pieces of scrap mdf, and baltic birch, from my last project.

Then I thought about the new Panny digital receiver I just got, and decided that a center channel was due, for my family room "HT".  It really was just the two KIT41, and now I have added this center channel.

Please, understand that this was on a whim, on a Saturday afternoon, and I was listening to it during the hockey game last night, so it is totally a "toss it together, and enjoy" piece of work.

Here, have a laugh, but it would amaze you how realistic the voices are now...  I am actually very impressed with the sound!

Open baffle FR125's in the HT!

right proper fun, and eventually, I will build out a good box!

GHM

« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2005, 11:29 pm »
Hi Mark,

My buddy bought a pair of those drivers and installed them in some Bose 101 cabinets he had mounted to his bedroom ceiling. I'm here to tell you..they sound great!!! They sounded so good ..I'm planning to order me some PAWOs from Zhorn using the same drivers down the road. They remind me of my Fostex F200s on a smaller scale. Very musical little drivers for sure. Very non fatiguing buggers that image like a MOFO!!

Good listening!

JiffyBoob

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2005, 12:58 am »
GHM and Mark

Something to consider before you put the 125 into those PAWO horns is that once Tom Z put the 125 onto open baffles, his horn days were over after about 15 minutes, according to, and, apparently... he sent some to Dmason, and the two of them have been working out an open baffle design for the FR125.

Dmason said the other night that they sounded really very sweet, but no bass yet as they were new, and they needed a more powerful amp, more like a 250 watt. Said 10 watts meant nothing to the little 5 inchers, but was going to be easy to get sub 50Hz bass out of them on open baffles. Small open baffles. He figures he and Tom Z would be able to come up with a SOA small room OB system using the FR125. Promising new stuff.

GHM

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2005, 02:09 am »
Thanks JiffyBoob for the info. This is good news! It will save me a little dough if these workout with Dmason. I know liked them in the small cabinet..I'm sure they'll be great in the open baffle.