what amps/preamps have you tried?

hstokar

« on: 15 Sep 2005, 01:41 pm »
I just ordered a pair of 938's.  Thinking about McIntosh 501 monoblock and Rowland Synergi IIi. Overkill?   I just love the Mac and the Rowland...

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2005, 08:22 pm »
hstokar,

Welcome.  I've found that the 938s sound improves as you upgrade your equipment.  Those amps you mention are not overkill, IMHO.  You asked about what speaker wires I use.  I use silver biwire from Crystal Clear.

Nick Bassman

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2005, 07:11 am »
Hi hstokar,

I would agree with Dracule1 on this the 938s will certainly make the best of some very fine amplification and sources. I have heard them sound very good with low budget amps as well as more expensive ones. IME they are very capable of revealing the differences in front end and amplification choices. I would the think the big sound of the Macs would be a fantastic combination with the Hyperions but of course Rule 1 is try it and see before buying. For cabling I'm using Stereovox all the way.

Cheers

Nick

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2005, 08:48 pm »
Doesn't Hyperion have their own amplification?  Anyone tried them out?

Michael

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2005, 05:17 pm »
Yes,  Hyperion does have their own amplification, both Class A SS and tube.  I've heard them both under show conditions, and they mate very well with the speakers.  Their tube monos sound wonderful - they will be fully reviewed on 6moons.com.

mcrespo71

« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2005, 09:27 pm »
The first time I heard the Hyperion's were at HE 2004 and they were run with Hyperion electronics.  Sounded pretty damn good to me, so I'm assuming there is great synergy there.  Also, if I remember correctly, the electronics were quite reasonably priced.  

Michael

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2005, 12:57 am »
Yes, the SS mono amps go for around $1500.  The single ended tube monos with 18 watts, good enough to drive the 938s, go for around $2800.

ndeslions

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jan 2006, 11:52 pm »
I tried a lot of amps with the 938 and the last one were the Nuforce Reference 9.
VERY VERY VERY good combo, everything is there : large and very sharp / stable imaging, great bass (this can easily be a problem with the 938) that is fast, not boomy at all and got impact, it was the first time i could feel some impacts in my chest with the 938.

I have ordered a Modwright SL9SE, i'm pretty confident the combo 938/Nuforce/Modwright will be a real giant killer.

Oh another thing : i'm a professionnal hifi accessories seller.... i tested dozens of speaker cables with the 938 : all the AP products, Audience as well, Furutech including the Speaker reference, HMS, Kimber including Select serie, Cardas etc...
The best result by far was the Ringmat Pure Power cable... it looks like a cheap blue cable with 4 conductors sold in bulk, it's sold in England around 75$ per meter (25$ per feet) and it's the best cable i tried... really.
I don't know if it's distributed in North America but if it is you should really try it.

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2006, 02:58 am »
Happy New Year ndeslions,

Thanks for the update on your system.  I as afraid chip amps like Nuforce would sound too sterile with the 938s, but your experience has changed my mind.  Keep us informed about Modwright preamp, Nuforce, 938 combo.

Roy S

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2006, 03:59 pm »
Credos to the Ref 9s! They replaced my old Krell; now I have balls and finnese in a small package...

I'm running the Ref 9s directly off my Meridian G91, the liquidity and musciality are all there - no real need for a tube preamp. Anyway, many tube preamps I have heard lately are not tube like at all  :(

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2006, 08:48 am »
How much are the ref 9s?  Is there an integrated version?

Roy S

« Reply #11 on: 6 Feb 2006, 02:51 pm »
$2400 a pair. There's a new integrated amp but is only rated at 50W; I doubt it can drive the 938 well.

Wait a while if you are keen on the Nuforce as they're launching a SE version soon.  8)

chao

« Reply #12 on: 23 Mar 2006, 11:05 am »
My amp last year with the 938 was the DK Design MK2 , amazing good combination.

50W is no problem for the 938 imo.
Before the DK ,I drove the 938 with the 25W Gaincard.
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2006, 11:46 pm by chao »

saladina

what amp preamps have you tried?
« Reply #13 on: 26 Apr 2006, 07:00 pm »
At the HE 2004 I purchased the Hyperion HPS 938's and drove them with the Hyperion BEC-25P pre amp and BEC 250 amp. For countless hours of listening, this system has produced great sound, and at a bargain price.
I just upgraded the amp to 2 Hyperion Monoblocks, and the result is truly outstanding!
I strongly suggest that the great HPS 938's be matched with the equipment that they were designed for: the Hyperion Sound pre amp and amp.
This is very cost effective and the result is superb.

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 1 May 2006, 04:49 am »
Thanks Saladina,

Welcome aboard.  When I first heard the 938s at the NY Show couple years ago, they were hooked up to Hyperion's own original solid state amp and preamp. They sounded wonderful as I stated in my review.  I have heard them with the newer SS monos and preamp last year at NY Show, but the 938s didn't sound as good as the first time - source was the same, Sony SCD1.  I think it was the smaller room the second time around.  As any setup, many factors affect the sound.  But I do know the Hyperion SS electronics can sound superb with the 938s.

I'm in the process of getting a new amp.  I sold the Jungson 88D hoping to upgrade to their monos but price has gone up - out of my reach.  So I looked around and found this guy in Canada who hand builds his amps using TV horizontal tubes!  Very interesting design and very affordable for a hand built unit.  He actually winds his own transformers.  Visit McAlisteraudio.com for details.  I'm getting the PP150 which is a 75 watt amp.  The picture of the PP150 on his site are old, the newer amp look much better.

hstokar

Re: what amps/preamps have you tried?
« Reply #15 on: 13 Aug 2006, 04:32 pm »
Asan update....I tried the Hyperion 100 watt ss amps with the 938's and have to say I found them severly lacking.   Even conneted to Hyperions own preamp you have to jack the volume all the way up.  Can't speak about tubes ....
Anyone try the Channel Island D-200's

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #16 on: 13 Aug 2006, 07:46 pm »
I happen to love tubes and happen to think the 938s sound great with tubes.  As for power requirements - I have been (temporarily, due to one of my 845 monoblocks blowing a cap) running a 8 watt Dared 2A3 SET amp and have been pretty amazed at how well this works.  90dB sound levels in my completely open space are dynamic and pure.  This little amp has a built-in output power tube and while I can see from watching it that the amp gets near it's limits on peaks at 90dB, it isn't clipping.  I could honestly be happy with this combo long-term, though I certainly wouldn't do that.

I should try my new Red Wine Sig 30 on them as well.  I am certain that that amp has more than enough power.

Roeland

« Reply #17 on: 14 Aug 2006, 07:11 am »
I've just upgraded my amp side and I'm now driving my 906 with Heron HL-1 as pre and Ciaudio D-100's as poweramp. And I must say it's a match made in heaven! Big soundstage, very 3D, really nothing wrong, almost perfect...  :D

charlez

« Reply #18 on: 15 Aug 2006, 06:15 pm »
Am using a Ming-Da MC-34B integrated tube amp (22 wpc) to drive my HWS-586 monitors (similar to the 906) in my budget office system. Excellent transparent, detailed yet coherent sound with more than adequate headroom -- but then it doesn't have to drive a serious bass woofer. Overall, quite pleased.

Most surprising was the sound I got with these speakers using the Sonic Impact Super-T amp (5-6 wpc) at lower listening volumes. Not nearly enough oomph for these speakers and it distorts badly at higher volumes, but in its limited range surprising quality nonetheless for these 89db monitors.

chao

« Reply #19 on: 14 Sep 2006, 11:48 pm »
Steve R. , enjoy the music reviewer , played the HPS938 with Consonance Cyber 211 : "magic combination".
Does anybody own/heard these two?