KIT41 - great sound on a budget - Pics added

mcgsxr

« on: 21 May 2005, 04:24 pm »
Just a quick post to mention that I have finished construction of the KIT41 as of this AM.  The speakers are running in now in the basement, and I will post pics and impressions later, as things gel.

As a piece of background, I initially purchased the WR125's and ran them full range for about 5 months now.  I decided to build out the balance of the KIT41, as I am moving in 2 months, and want some mains for my HT, since I can run a dedicated 2 channel room in the new place.

So, I added the Xover, and the tweeters, to the existing boxes (initially built to allow for this eventuality, and retrospectively wisely so!) and finally put a "finish" on them.  I ran a 5/8 round over on all the corners, sanded extensively, and then painted.  My 17 month old daughter picked the finish - we went to Canadian Tire together, and I put Krylon gloss, Krylon matte, and house brand Truck Bed Liner cans in front of her.  I did this 4 times, scrambling the order, and she picked the Truck Bed Liner 4 for 4!

That sealed the deal, and matches perfectly with the black finish I put on both my modded Teacs - good taste that little girl!

So, now I am on to building up subwoofers to act as stands for these speakers, each with a 10 inch sub, and 150w amp.  Used with the subs, this will represent my 2.2 HT system, in the new place, with the Sony TV as the preamp - I will connect all the DVD, VHS, satellite etc to the Sony, and then use the variable outs on the TV to drive the amps, daisy chained.  This way Michelle (my wife) can continue to use the remote she is used to, and I can get sound WAY better than I otherwise would, in my family room.

First impressions of the KIT41 is that they are stupid good for the limited investment.  I loved the WR125 by itself, and followed Steve Deckert's advice that one should listen extensively to drivers full range, prior to Xover construction.  Having added the tweeter, it brings in the missing sparkle, but because the WR125 runs full range, the coherency that startled me initially is preserved.  I like the sound of this combo.

Now, adding the powered 10's will flesh out the lowest register, and add some weight to the presentation - the WR125 is surprisingly capable at reproducing the bottom end, but one cannot expect the world of a 4.5 inch woofer, so it does not punch out much air movement, in spite of the surprising, and entertaining XMAX!

So, pics and further impressions to follow, but if you are looking for a startlingly good little speaker, and want to keep the $$ in your pocket, you owe it to yourself to investigate this kit.

Thanks to DIY Cable, and CSS (Bob, the Canadian distributor is great to work with, and ships lightning fast) for making this great gear available, and affordable, for folks on both sides of the 49th parallel!

Have a great weekend,

mcgsxr

« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2005, 12:04 am »
Pics, as promised.  The speakers have been running for 8 hours so far, and are smoothing out nicely.  Details to come.

bald

nice!
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2005, 12:23 am »
Congrats, very nice looking speakers.

Couple questions for you :)

Was wondering what that truck bed liner looks like in "real life." I'm looking for a black finish for some HT LCR's that looks good, is mostly flat, but not quite as boring as a straight flat black. I'm trying to avoid producing reflections off the speakers from the projector. So, just how shiny is that stuff?

Also, have you done much HT listening with those things? I was looking a couple posts down at the front ported usher/wr125 combo that Kevin posted pictures of, and was thinking it would make some good rear/surround speakers. I was hoping to cross my speakers at 50hz with a sub, not sure if the wr125s can get there tho. Any thoughts?

Enjoy your speakers

bald

ooheadsoo

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2005, 05:28 am »
Those look fantastic.

Al Garay

« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2005, 06:16 am »
The truck bedliner finish looks much better  than any bedliner finish I have seen. Most have a very grainy (sandy) look and feel.

Very nice review.

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
Re: nice!
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2005, 03:00 pm »
Quote from: bald

I was hoping to cross my speakers at 50hz with a sub, not sure if the wr125s can get there tho. Any thoughts?

They are not going to get to 50HZ.   The port tuning is 60HZ so the response if falling quickly after that point.   It's only a 4" driver so you the laws of physics just won't agree.   I recommend a 80HZ "small" speaker selection on the surround processor which will probably be an 4th order filter @ 80HZ.    That gives us a half octave before the driver unloads and then good power protection for the speaker when using the 80HZ crossover.   You will still get output below 80HZ... it's just falling quickly with the combined electrical/acoustical output.

For my HT I'm designing a three way with the Extremis, WR-125 & Usher.   It's going to be a semi in-wall speaker designed to fit between two standard width studs.   I've got a narrow listening room so I didn't want a large speaker sticking out into the room.   I'm going to try both a dipole design and monopole and probably offer both as a stock Exodus speaker designs.   It will cost a fair amount more because it's going to use the Extremis and a fairly low crossover point to the Extremis.

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2005, 03:03 pm »
Mark:   Your entire system looks awesome.   Great finish on the speakers!

What did you use for the shelves in your flexy rack?   They look great.

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2005, 05:07 pm »
Hello bald, thanks for the comments.

As for you Q about response, looks like Kevin covered you off there - I build these with a tuning of 55Hz, and I can tell you that below that, there is just a hint of sound.  I find that there is a slight hump around 90Hz or so, that makes them sound full, but they do lack lower extension - part of the compromise of building anything of course.

If I were building something for HT, and using the WR125, I would go with the one that uses the Usher tweeter, the WR as the mid, and uses that badass Extremis woofer - that should get you down well below 50, and you can tune your subs to come in as you see fit...

As for the Truck Bed Liner, well it can turn out different ways, depending on the prep.  When I shot my Teacs, I just sprayed it on, and I would say that on the body of the amp, it feels sandy.  On the smooth aluminum face, it has a smooth, slightly textured finish.  For the speakers, I sanded with 150, 220, 320, 400, 600, and then used primer/sealer, sanding again lightly with 600 between coats of that, and the paint itself.  The faces (where I took most care) are smooth, but the sides are a bit "sandy" to the touch.

The Truck Bed Liner is inherently slightly textured, and does help to cover up some of the "mulligans" along the way!

Here is a shot, during the first coat of paint, in the garage - this is natural light reflecting off the face, plus the flash of the digital camera.  In the house, they are pretty much satin in terms of reflecting, which is to say more than matte, but much less than gloss.

Oh, and yes, I have seen the enclosures that Kevin now sells... but I wanted to build these anyway.  For the $$ though, it is probably worth picking them up, unless you want drastically differing dimensions for some reason.

Had a chance to sit down and listen to them last night for a couple of hours, and play around with toe in, etc.  I find that they are good little 2 ways.  This from a guy who had great 2 ways for 10 years (Totem Rokk).  I find that the tweeter brings back the air, and "atmosphere" that was lacking when running the WR125's full range alone in these boxes, but I also find that as a result, they are more directional.

This is normal I figure, since as you go up the frequency range, things get more directional - what I mean is this - when running just the WR's, I could stand WAY off to the side (ie right in front of one of the speakers, back at the listening chair distance) and the sound was still imaging really well in the center of the speakers.  Now that I have added the tweeters, these act more like what they are, conventional 2 ways, and as such, they want you to be centered, for the image to remain centered.

I suppose it comes down to this - even though the WR does run full range in this config, by adding the tweeter, this speaker now acts like a conventional 2 way - even though that tweeter is just coming in around 10K, it alters the way that the sound is produced, enough to make these less "magical" for music, for me.

The sound gels more with some extra volume - I found them unbalanced at low volume, but things really come together around 10-11 on my preamp volume setting - could be the 30wpc Bolder Teac, could be the speaker sensitivity - not sure, and unconcerned - I simply twist it up a little more, and it comes together well.

Now, do NOT get me wrong - I am very pleased with these speakers, and they will absolutely do the trick for me, for HT, especially when supported with some subs - I was playing around this AM with my big ported Nakamichi sub, and adding in that 20-50Hz really fleshes out soundtracks perfectly.

As 2 channel speakers, I personally would prefer the WR alone - it does something magical with the mids, and directly driven by the amp - sure, it does not touch either frequency extreme on its' own, but it is so pure and coherent where it plays, that I find it more involving that way.

I recommend biwiring posts, so that you can play with differing configs, for your taste, in your room etc.

Oh, Kevin, the flexy rack (built about 11 years ago now... before I even saw that article, honest!  :lol: ) uses 2x6 pine laminated together to give me 1.5 thick, 16.5 deep, 24 wide shelves.  Stained them a red mahogany to match the Totems I owned all those years, but find that it looks nice even though my speakers are from the Darth Vader school of presentation!

Great value, fun build, rewarding end result.

Thanks again,