Ultracap cycle times?

TimS

Ultracap cycle times?
« on: 15 Feb 2018, 02:47 am »
Hi

I read the review from SoundStage Australia and noted that it said the cycle time for the Ultracaps to switch banks is approx. 5 to 10 minutes so out of interest I used the remote to go to 'Volts' on the LIO and timed the period it took to run down one cap bank and switch to the other (starting at 22.7v to switch over at 19.5v)

I had done this two or three months ago prior to changing to the DHT pre and DAC2.0 and I'm sure it took 5 to 6 minutes to switch banks (as stated in the review) but now that I've upgraded to the DHT/DAC2.0 the cycle period is only approx 1 minute 30 seconds; under a third of the suggested minimum cycle time.

Any one else with the same set-up (DHT and DAC2.0) please check the Ultracap cycle time on your LIO as I'm concerned I may have somehow mucked up the installation of the new components or something is using more power than it should.

Thanks

trcks

Re: Ultracap cycle times?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2018, 03:34 pm »
2 minutes for me (DAC2.0/DHT)

Vinnie R.

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2018, 04:03 pm »
Hi TimS,

The DAC 2.0 draws a lot more current than DAC 1.0, so it is very normal to see the times between switching
banks is lower.  It also depends on the other modules installed, and if you have the MOSFET AMP, then
it depends on the load of the speakers, how loud you play, etc.

No worries - you installed everything just fine.  8)

Vinnie

mirekti

« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2018, 05:43 pm »
In my case it is 110 seconds.
I believe this was mentioned before, but I cannot find it. How many cycles are the ultra capacitors rated for?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2018, 07:34 pm »
In my case it is 110 seconds.
I believe this was mentioned before, but I cannot find it. How many cycles are the ultra capacitors rated for?

Hi mirekti,

The cycle life of the particular model of ultracap used in LIO is rated at 0.5 million cycles by the manufacturer, however, that is based on far more aggressive usage such as:

- Charging the cap to its rated voltage (which we do not do in LIO)
- Discharging the cap down to 50% of the max rated voltage (which we do not do in LIO)
- Much higher discharge and charge currents (which cause higher internal temps). 

And keep in mind that the manufacturer of the ultracap considers "end of life" when the capacitance value drops by 20% compared to a brand new cap.  So it is not like the cap just "dies" after a certain number of cycles.  It will continue to work just fine in our application...
even if the capacitance ever dropped by 20% over many years of use.

Back in 2014 when I was developing LIO and speaking with the engineers of the ultracap company, they mentioned my application is significantly gentler than the conditions that they used when they came up with that 0.5 million cycles figure, and could only guess that the cycle life in LIO would easily be > 1 million cycles. 

Best regards,

Vinnie

mirekti

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2018, 07:57 pm »
Thanks, Vinnie.
Many years if not decades in front of them.