My name is Jay, and I am an audio addict

UltraFidelity

• Industry Participant
My name is Jay, and I am an audio addict
« on: 22 Dec 2017, 02:35 pm »
I was told prior to posting, I should introduce myself.  I guess I have what you would call "the gene"; my great grandfather on my mother's side built and designed guitars, pick-ups, and amps...my dad had an ever growing component hi-fi system when I was a kid that I knew better then to touch but any time I was left alone, I would...then ultimately get caught because I would change the EQ settings.  I tried playing a bunch of instruments but didn't have any feel or dynamics.  I would constantly listen to and talk about music - I eventually cut enough lawns and sold enough firecrackers to kids in school to buy a set of Technics 1200s to start DJing...which I still have today, along with 4 other sets of them and a recording studio which was a huge part of my life for over 20 years.  I have more gear then I use, some I never touched. I have a dedicated home theater, multiple surround sound systems, local and distributed audio systems, a never ending music and movie collection, memorabilia, and a bunch of other paraphernalia that I can't recall now.  I was always into woodworking and tinkering with things and I got tired of spending money on what I believed to be over priced garbage started building speakers.  It turned into a sickness, destroyed relationships, made me distant from family members, my hobby now consumed every bit of my day.  During work I would be reading about drivers and acoustics or drawing a new design.  At home I would be building; out with friends, family or my ex wive or ex live-in girl, I was glued to my phone and reading or looking at drivers - I had to hide my addiction and was confronted about cheating because I was so secretive about my phone.  It literally ended a number of relationships because it was all I would talk about or want to talk about.  Instead of asking how someones day was I would tell them about a folded cascode, how I buck boosted a signal with a 555 timer to open a MOSFET gate, or about this new driver I just ordered.  My addiction progressed as I got tired of spending money on amps, I would buy kits, play around with sim programs, read, study, burn myself with solder, zap myself with transformers or caps, I was spinning out of control and reckless convinced I could stop at any time.  It has now progressed to a business where I spend the vast majority of my day talking about and developing audio products.  My name is Jay, and I am an addict.  I am glad to be a part of the community and hope that I can add value and help people like myself.   

mr_bill

Re: My name is Jay, and I am an audio addict
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2017, 03:57 pm »
Hi Jay, I'm Bill and you are not alone - we all are addicts here (although few of us will admit it) either to the equipment or the music or both..............we are here to help although we haven't figured out how to help ourselves............

Welcome Jay

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2017, 04:18 pm »
Hello, Jay.

Before I read your intro, I was going to be cute and tell you we'll happily find ways for you to spend more money. However, now that I finished reading the intro, I realize you're way ahead of me. Got any pointers?  :lol:

Let's have fun!

Welcome to AC.

Michael

ebag4

« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2017, 04:20 pm »
Welcome Jay, you are not alone and should fit right in here! :thumb:

Best,
Ed

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2017, 05:03 pm »
Welcome to the sweet spot, Jay

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2017, 05:32 pm »
Welcome aboard Jay :thumb:
After all I glad you are making money w/your hobby now a business.

neekomax

« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2017, 05:35 pm »
Yow. That was a bit of a harrowing read.

I'm glad you're getting help. Keep coming back!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2017, 05:37 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Jay   :thumb: 

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2017, 07:38 pm »
Welcome!

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2017, 08:14 pm »
Great story.

What company?

JakeJ

« Reply #10 on: 23 Dec 2017, 03:20 pm »
Hello and welcome to AC, UltraFidelity.

UltraFidelity

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 28 Dec 2017, 05:54 am »
Yow. That was a bit of a harrowing read.

I'm glad you're getting help. Keep coming back!

I am sorry, I honestly didn't think anyone would read it so I tried to make it as entertaining as possible.  :-)

UltraFidelity

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 28 Dec 2017, 06:00 am »
Great story.

What company?

There is a few under different brands and ownerships depending on the product line.  Personally I manufacture and sell a lot of the Hypex amps in mono and multi mono configurations as well as a solid state line but have full range speakers, surround sound speakers, a sub line and a pro audio line with different partners.  I also have some kits for some of the new class D products that I have to start pushing out as well.  I will post some stuff for sale shortly as well as some new models to show "whats under the hood" as I have time.