best Speaker cables for CAM

Jorge

best Speaker cables for CAM
« on: 4 Dec 2017, 03:43 pm »
HI,

I was wondering if anybody has already good exprience with speaker cables to link a pair of Compact AlNiCo Monitor  with  Leben 300Xs or ZTOL10. Look forward hearing  from some experiences and costs.

Thank you!

roscoe65

Re: best Speaker cables for CAM
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2017, 03:44 pm »
I've had great experience with Supra cables.  They are what Louis uses as OEM cable and they are very inexpensive.  They are a tinned copper stranded cable. 

Jorge

« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2017, 04:21 pm »
Thank you,

Is there any technical explanations or just personal taste?

I do use also QED 40 as for Luis suggestion also. But I wonder if there is anything else specially thinking on the ZTOL10.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2017, 04:34 pm »
My SL17 and SMSG20 SCs are designed for speakers like Omega.

The Supra or wire like Duelund tinned copper is fairly warm sounding. The SL17 is UPOCC copper litz and is much clearer sounding, more resolving and less warm. The SMSG20 even moreso, better resolution and very little artificial warmth.

The price goes up quite a bit though through these 3 options, so budget is an important factor. Personally, I find warm wire like tinned copper obscures too much detail and I'd use mil-spec wire for a less expensive option... this is silver plated copper instead of tinned copper and has teflon insulation instead of PVC. Being military surplus it's even cheaper too. Some find it bright sounding but it depends on the system, often this isn't the case. You can get it on ebay or surplus outlets like Apex Jr. A simple twisted pair using a drill to twist the wires would work fine.

doggie

« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2017, 02:20 pm »
HI,

I was wondering if anybody has already good exprience with speaker cables to link a pair of Compact AlNiCo Monitor  with  Leben 300Xs or ZTOL10. Look forward hearing  from some experiences and costs.

Thank you!

I have a ZOTL10 and a pair of Omega HO Alnico floorstanders. I use Duelund tinned copper 20ga wire and have even wired the speakers internally with it. I also use the 24ga for IC's.

I find the Duelund to give a very natural tone with lots of detail. I have not found it to have unnatural warmth or to obscure detail. It is also relatively inexpensive and can be purchased easily from The Parts Connexion. I have tried wire containing silver for both speaker cables and IC's and always find them to have a overly bright and etched quality to my ears. As always this is a matter of personal taste and listening preference.

If you buy pre-made cables try to purchase from a place/vendor with a liberal return policy so that you can audition them. DaveC113, who is a cable vendor, has a good return policy.

Also my experience is that cables need break-in time to sound their best. This can be 100 hours or much more...

The ZOTL10 and the CAMs will be a match made in heaven!

Jorge

« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2017, 02:16 pm »
Doggie,

Thank you  very much for the suggestion. By the way, I will also go for the combination ZTOL10 + HO in the coming months, if everything goes well. I asume your are happy with it. Coming from my CAM i wonder which will be the differences in sound for the same amp...

good to hear your experience with the HO and the ZTOL.

I am close to Heaven with my set up, I need to be "IN" soon...