Battery powered Tripath MONO-BLOCKS

Wayne1

« on: 22 Dec 2004, 12:02 am »
Back in July, I built a battery powered stereo amp, based on the Tripath evaluation board, for Bwanagreg

His comments about the amp are here

I was recently asked to build another battery powered Tripath, but this time in a mono-block design. I used the same evaluation boards, but just one channel for each amp. I modded the boards similar to what I did for Greg's. The difference being the use of an Auricap for the coupling cap and a larger power supply resevoir cap for the channel being used.

I located a bit larger battery, 4.5 Ah per channel vs the 3.3 Ah for both channels. All of the internal wiring was done with Cryo-treated, solid core, 99.9995% pure silver. The input connectors are WBT NextGen and the output binding posts are Superior Electric direct Gold plated. I even used direct gold plated quick disconnects to go on the batter terminals :D

Each amp has THREE Bybee Slipstream Purifiers in it. One on the input, one on the output and one on the positve power lead going into the board.

I built a set of custom leads to run from the battery charger to the amps from M-80 speaker cable.

The chassis is dampened and I used the JJAZ FOD for isolation feet on each amp. This was a fun project and I think they turned out very nice.

If there is anyone else out there who might be interested in these amps, either stereo or mono-block, let me know. The base amp is about $400.00. Options like Bybees, silver wiring, WBT connectors, Auricaps, etc. do add up :lol:

brj

« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2004, 03:37 am »
Hi Wayne!

Can you comment on what you think the revised mono-blocs are capable of driving?  If I recall correctly, you felt that the original stereo amp would drive a 4 Ohm nominal load, 89db/1 w/1 m speaker reasonably well.  (Which are the specs of the RM30, I believe.)  Are the mono-blocs similarly capable?

Thanks!

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2004, 02:09 pm »
A lot depends on what size your room is and how loud you wish to play your music.

I would not suggest these amps be used to drive RM-30Ms full range. These amps migh work out okay if you used them on the mid and tweeter panels only. The woofer section of just about ALL VMPS speakers really needs quite a lot of current to drive them.

These amps were built to drive the Omega Super 3 BPC, which is 96 dB at 4 ohms.

These amp would be best used with high efficiency, single driver speaker such as made by Omega and The Horn Shoppe.

High efficiency horns, such as Klipsch and older Altec would also be a good match.

These would be perfect, if you could get them in the house :lol:

Altec A7 Legacy specs

brj

« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2004, 03:38 pm »
I'm sure you have a pair of those in the bedroom, right? :lol:

Thanks, Wayne!

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2004, 09:37 pm »
Can you run that eval board in bridged mode by running a signal to both channels but inverting the input to one channel?  Other Tripath boards work this way.  You've got enough DC current to pull it off.  The concern might be whether the chips are heat sinked well enough to handle it.

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2004, 11:13 pm »
Quote from: Russtafarian
Can you run that eval board in bridged mode by running a signal to both channels but inverting the input to one channel?  Other Tripath boards work this way.  You've got enough DC current to pull it off.  The concern might be whether the chips are heat sinked well enough to handle it.

The 2024 chipset already runs the internal switching FETs in bridged mode.

Wayne1

« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2004, 03:48 pm »
The mono-blocks were shipped off to their new owner yesterday. I spent a good portion of Wednesday listening to them. The sound is roughly similar to the Panasonic and ICEPower amps. The one thing these amps do, that no other amp that I have heard does, is reproduce the music with NOTHING covering it up. The combination of multiple Bybees and battery power is very revealing.

I could hear further into the music than I ever could before.

I ran the amps for 14 hours straight and there was no disernable loss of quality. They easily charged up over night.

With Greg's amp, I did notice a bit a clipping at higher volumes, This did not happen on the mono-blocks. All in all, I was very impressed. I just might have to build me a pair of these :D

smargo

« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2004, 06:18 pm »
wayne, Roughly how many watts in mono configuration ?

thanks,

smargo

Wayne1

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2004, 07:27 pm »
The Mono configuration does not add any watts. You cannot add the two channels together. What it does is give each channel it's own power supply. It also separates the signals fron each other so there is no crosstalk or interferance from the other channels switching.

The output for the Tripath 2024 chipset is roughly 11 watts at 4 ohms and 6 watts at 8 ohms at reasonable distortion figures (0.1 %)

albee

« Reply #9 on: 28 Dec 2004, 04:24 am »
Wayne, are you saying that you can sell a "standard" stereo amp with the 4.5 SLA for $400?  Would charger be included?

Thanks.

Wayne1

« Reply #10 on: 28 Dec 2004, 07:02 pm »
albee,

The "base" model with Vampire speaker connectors, Cardas RCAs, M-80 wiring, modded boards with BlackGate coupling cpas and the 4.4 amp battery would go for $400.00 plus shipping. I would include the charger.

It would take about a month to build at this point. This price will only be good for a short while. I have some chassis boxes left over from a project. When these are gone, the cost of the amp would be more.

Wayne1

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jan 2005, 08:55 pm »
I received an e-mail from the owner of the mono-blocks today.

I think he likes them  :D

Wayne
>
> I am absolutely ASTOUNDED by these amps!  I don't know if it's the
> Tripath circuit, the battery, the Bybees, or some felicitous synergy
> of all three, but these amps are a revelation.  I don't have enough
> space here to detail the sheer number, variety, topologies, etc. of
> all the amps I have heard, tried, or owned, but these amps put them
> all to shame.  It's the combination of clarity and emotional
> expression that, in my experience, is unique.  Instruments are true in
> timbre, the human voice is natural and unforced.  Song lyrics
> previously difficult to discern are now clear in the most natural,