Icepower 1200AS amp. Class D like you've never heard before

Audiogeek2

Re: Icepower 1200AS amp. Class D like you've never heard before
« Reply #1780 on: 3 Jan 2018, 10:15 pm »
Yes this amp can’t be modified at all. You can put a buffer before it to lower fidelity and add euphoric colorations. But all it will achieve is masking flaws from poor source gear, with consequences in performance.

Never stopped you before.... :lol:

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #1781 on: 3 Jan 2018, 10:18 pm »
Never stopped you before.... :lol:

With the NC-500 it wasn’t modifying. It’s a totally different design that needs several external supplies along with a buffer stage. So there’s a million ways one can build an amp using that module. But at the end of the day, if dumping $4000 worth of parts into an NC-500 based amp can’t make it sound better than a bone stock 1200AS, is it worth it?

jtwrace

« Reply #1782 on: 3 Jan 2018, 10:29 pm »
With the NC-500 it wasn’t modifying. It’s a totally different design that needs several external supplies along with a buffer stage. So there’s a million ways one can build an amp using that module. But at the end of the day, if dumping $4000 worth of parts into an NC-500 based amp can’t make it sound better than a bone stock 1200AS, is it worth it?
Did you design the input for the Nord NC500's?

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #1783 on: 3 Jan 2018, 10:33 pm »
Yes I'm trying to adhere to a short lead time, but lets face it, this was an impulse decision to sell these amps. And nobody else even has them on the market yet. So to pull off delivery of a finished product as fast as I did was pretty good I think. I'm only a human not a machine. There's only so much I can do.

From my perspective Mike, I am most impressed by your transparency and willingness to add so many options to what promises to be a great product. I don't know how you are able to stay so engaged online  :scratch:

I've been through this before, especially in computer audio. Seems like a beta tested many dacs/streamers that made it to the market too soon. I mean patience is a virtue right? Well, why am I feeling so impatient on my on-hold phone call with the Social Security office? An hour - really?  :evil:

I'm hearing class D like I've never heard before with the Lindemann. So I'm anticipating greatness with the AS1200.  8)

Back to my on-hold $!$# phone call...

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #1784 on: 3 Jan 2018, 10:35 pm »

The Nord 1 up input buffer circuit was my gen 1 of 8 NC-500 input buffer designs.

jtwrace

« Reply #1785 on: 3 Jan 2018, 10:39 pm »
The Nord 1 up input buffer circuit was my gen 1 of 8 NC-500 input buffer designs.

Ah ok.  I didn't know that you did all the design of the very well received buffer.  :thumb:

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #1786 on: 3 Jan 2018, 10:45 pm »

Ah ok.  I didn't know that you did all the design of the very well received buffer.  :thumb:

I didn’t do all the work. It was based on a modded Hypex OEM buffer board. Then Richard from Sonic imagery Labs made a few tweaks. I already posted the Schematic on this thread. But my better NC-500. work came later. Ask Audiogeek2.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #1787 on: 3 Jan 2018, 11:01 pm »
Busy night ahead :)

ZimAhUm

• Restricted
« Reply #1788 on: 3 Jan 2018, 11:03 pm »
Yes the standard amp also has excellent cables/connectors. On the SE there’s 13 ft of 26 gauge Neotech silver gold cable. 14” of Furutech S55N cable, 4x FT-807 Binding posts, and Furutech inputs in either gold or Rhodium plating.

Been meaning to ask for a while now:  why Furutech and not, for example, Cardas?  Seen Furutech around, but I've never used anything from Furutech that's why I'm curious.  Thanks

Don_S

« Reply #1789 on: 3 Jan 2018, 11:05 pm »
Some of those boxes look like they are suffering from jet lag.  Another good reason to source on the same continent.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #1790 on: 3 Jan 2018, 11:05 pm »
Been meaning to ask for a while now:  why Furutech and not, for example, Cardas?  Seen Furutech around, but I've never used anything from Furutech that's why I'm curious.  Thanks

I like the build quality and engineering gone into the Furutech products. It’s not just all for show. Real engineering gone into their products.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #1791 on: 3 Jan 2018, 11:09 pm »
Some of those boxes look like they are suffering from jet lag.  Another good reason to source on the same continent.

As long as there’s no damage to the parts in the box I’m not concerned. There’s a couple small tears to 2 boxes,but nothing into the area where the cases are.

Nord Acoustics

• Industry Participant
« Reply #1792 on: 3 Jan 2018, 11:46 pm »

I feel I need to clarify the position on the Nord Buffer. We have had a number of e-mails questioning if Mike designed our Nord One Buffer and calling into question our position.

Mike came up with the concept only and use of socket along with the Sparkos SS3602 Op Amp and later the Sonic Imagery 994 Op Amp and yes he was running his own version also at the time.

The original REV B was heavily based on a Hypex design, Nord requested and obtained the schematic directly from Hypex which we modded and designed our first buffer PCB.
Current REV C buffer board was required to run the SI994. Richard from Sonic Imagery had worked with us to modify our design. And again when we required some further changes to values and enhancements as they were originally designed for Pro Audio users.

Nord designer Malcolm North designed both PCB’s and I selected the components following evaluations. Both critical in its excellent sonic performance.
This post is only intended to clarify the position. I refrained from posting earlier in respect to Mike who was very supportive in our early days

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #1793 on: 4 Jan 2018, 12:43 am »
Thanks for clarifying. However I was already using the circuit design based on Richard’s circuit (your current Rev C) before I talked you into building this buffer. I just didn’t tell you about it because I wanted to see what you would come up with on your own. However your current rev C circuit design you use now is what I was using originally, only you changed the regulators to Sparko’s, and maybe different cap and resistor brands. However around that time I had also tried the Sparko’s regulators then moved on to Belleson.

Anyways all these details have been public on Diyaudio for over 2 years now. Yes the mods chopped them up between the Ncore thread and your NC-500 thread, but all the info is there. None of this went on in private. All public.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #1794 on: 4 Jan 2018, 12:48 am »
The reason I shared all the design details in public was because I knew once it became a great success some rewriting of the history books may go on :)

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #1795 on: 4 Jan 2018, 12:50 am »
Well holes line up. Always a good thing :)

uncola

« Reply #1796 on: 4 Jan 2018, 03:26 am »
wow surprised no one commented.  first mivera 1200as amp off the assembly line!  Even the takachi cases look great, IMO.  Hehe I guess the first amp will be for the locals so they can demo it without fear of spilling beer directly onto the pcb

lateboomer

« Reply #1797 on: 4 Jan 2018, 03:41 am »
Gorgeous case indeed.  :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #1798 on: 4 Jan 2018, 03:58 am »
wow surprised no one commented.  first mivera 1200as amp off the assembly line!  Even the takachi cases look great, IMO.  Hehe I guess the first amp will be for the locals so they can demo it without fear of spilling beer directly onto the pcb

Cool, it'll look good in my stack  :hyper:   
Looks good  man

jay

ohenry

« Reply #1799 on: 4 Jan 2018, 05:16 am »
Hey Mike, I worried a bit about going with the "cheap" case.  This one looks way better than I thought.  And yes, having holes aligning is a good thing and with careful construction it can be a nice looking amp.

Very nice work on getting those to the guys like me that need to watch the pennies from time to time.  :D