Icepower 1200AS amp. Class D like you've never heard before

ngchaisoon and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Read 40076 times.

bavmike

• Facilitator
Re: Icepower 1200AS amp. Class D like you've never heard before
« Reply #960 on: 6 Dec 2017, 03:06 pm »
A large portion of my costs for the Takachi cases are shipping and import duty fees. I’ll be able to eliminate those costs building locally. So my cost for the mid tier cases won’t be much more than the landed cost of the Takachi cases. The only thing I’ll need to import is the heatsinks out of Germany.

orientalexpress

« Reply #961 on: 6 Dec 2017, 03:08 pm »
Mike
just wondering when your DAC is ready to release?
Does you Dac does DSD?
Thanks

:thumb:
lap

mikeeastman

« Reply #962 on: 6 Dec 2017, 03:11 pm »
The dac only does 256 DSD and sounds incredible.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #963 on: 6 Dec 2017, 03:13 pm »
Mike
just wondering when your DAC is ready to release?
Does you Dac does DSD?
Thanks

:thumb:
lap

My next gen streamer/dac/pre likely won’t be ready until the spring/summer. Yes it will do DSD. In fact it will be a DSD 256 only DAC like my Purestream. You just set your media player to output all PCM/DSD to DSD 256.

If you want a DAC now I still have 1 Purestream left with Weiss OP2-BP opamps. And I can offer 100% credit with trade up to my new streamer/DAC/Pre when ready.

maty

• Nauscopio Scipiorum
« Reply #964 on: 6 Dec 2017, 03:14 pm »
No they will look similar to the Takachi cases. Only thicker and better quality aluminum. Takachi has 3mm front/back panels and 2mm top/bottom panels. The mid level will have 1/8” top/bottom panels and 1/4” front back panels. The top will have 1/4” top/bottom panels, and 1/2” front back panels.

metrics:

3 mm[/b] top/bottom panels and 6 mm front back panels. The top will have 6 mm top/bottom panels, and 12,7 mm front back panels

You know I have VERY BIG problems in my house with mains: DC, RF/EMI interferences and high voltage too.

But I have or I had RF/EMI interferences on the air.

First I try with a 3 mm steel sheet above the Marantz and the sound was better. And when I place below my iFi iCAN heaphone amp (thin aluminum) the same.

[Added] [IMG] http://maty.galeon.com/WP-imagenes/hum/AV-Marantz-SR4500-ifi-iCAN-KEF-Q100-ATL-Hi-Fi-DC-Ripple-Blocker-x4-ME.jpg

Months ago I tried with 1 mm steel sheet (I stuck it under a shelf so it was not visible) in the other system, with Yamaha and the sound was better two. With the 3 mm Marantz's steel sheet I did not notice any additional improvement => with 1 mm steel sheet is enough.

[Updated] My tweaked ODAC is inside other aluminum box -> 1 mm +  1mm = 2 mm aluminum. When I put up and down two pieces of steel I got the necessary shielding!

[Added] http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Aluminum-Enclosure-Case-Preamp-Box-PSU-Chassis-DIY-114-50-210MM-GE-/112091503708
Front and back panel 5mm.  side panel: 3mm.   Top and Base plate: 4mm  <= It was only  1mm!  :x

I was investigating and I concluded that 4 mm thick aluminum or more is needed to have the same shielding capacity as 1 mm steel.

In short, that your new American box is much more appropriate than the Japanese one to attenuate the RF/EMI interferences outside the box.

PS: AV Marantz and AV Yamaha have a leaky top cover as a cheap way to improve heat dissipation like almost AV but interference is spread out there!

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #965 on: 6 Dec 2017, 03:17 pm »
metrics:

You know I have VERY BIG problems in my house with mains: DC, RF/EMI interferences and high voltage too.

But I have or I had RF/EMI interferences on the air.

First I try with a 3 mm steel sheet above the Marantz and the sound was better. And when I place below my iFi iCAN heaphone amp (thin aluminum) the same

Months ago I tried with 1 mm steel sheet (I stuck it under a shelf so it was not visible) in the other system, with Yamaha and the sound was better two. With the 3 mm Marantz's steel sheet I did not notice any additional improvement => with 1 mm steel sheet is enough.

My tweaked ODAC is inside other aluminum box -> 1 mm +  1mm = 2 mm aluminum. With the sheet of three I did not notice any additional improvement!!!

I was investigating and I concluded that 4 mm thick aluminum or more is needed to have the same shielding capacity as 1 mm steel.

In short, that your new American box is much more appropriate than the Japanese one to attenuate the RF/EMI interferences outside the box.

Yeah there’s definitely advantages to thicker aluminum. Also for vibration dampening.

spence

« Reply #966 on: 6 Dec 2017, 03:20 pm »
If the price of the mid tier case isn't much more than the cost of the landed Takachi case, I'd be more than willing to wait for the better case.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #967 on: 6 Dec 2017, 03:32 pm »
If the price of the mid tier case isn't much more than the cost of the landed Takachi case, I'd be more than willing to wait for the better case.

Well anyone can have that option. Like I mentioned, even if you own the Takachi case and decide later that you want to upgrade, not a problem. I’ll alway be able to re-sell the takachi cases to someone who wants to spend less. I’m going to my local waterjet shop today for a meeting. They’re going to do all the profile cutting with their SOTA waterjet machine.

Then all the drills/taps will be finished on a SOTA CNC machine. From there I will send the panels to the finest aluminum finishing shop in Canada for anodizing.

http://www.altechanodizing.com

I used to own a machine shop with a big 5x10’ German Flexicam CNC machine. So my understanding of how this process works is pretty good.

maty

• Nauscopio Scipiorum
« Reply #968 on: 6 Dec 2017, 04:05 pm »
And the last

Yamaha A-S3000

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/a-s3000/index.html#product-tabs

Rigid Streamlined Construction— provides strict anti-vibration protection, and enables shortest cabling routes

Large toroidal transformer, solidly mounted with independent three-dimensional inner frame

Comprehensive low impedance design, shortened signal paths and copper-plated chassis

Six mm thick top panel made of non-magnetic aluminium plate...

like your american box.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #969 on: 6 Dec 2017, 04:29 pm »
For all Lot 1-4 2 channel and Lot 1-6 channel guys. Once I get all production and pricing details sorted on the new cases, I’m going to offer the upgrade options in my web shop. Anyone will have the option to upgrade. I can just keep your Takachi cases in inventory for future lots. So not a problem.

Don_S

« Reply #970 on: 6 Dec 2017, 04:42 pm »
For all Lot 1-4 2 channel and Lot 1-6 channel guys. Once I get all production and pricing details sorted on the new cases, I’m going to offer the upgrade options in my web shop. Anyone will have the option to upgrade. I can just keep your Takachi cases in inventory for future lots. So not a problem.

Thank you Mike.  I like that option a lot.  :thumb:

spence

« Reply #971 on: 6 Dec 2017, 05:01 pm »
Yep - that answered my next question. Thanks Mike!

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #972 on: 6 Dec 2017, 05:04 pm »
No problem guys! When I come up with ways to do things better, nobody will ever lose out. With my business model I don’t have middlemen taking a piece of the pie. If I did it would be impossible to offer 100% credit trade ups. Because they would need their cut as well which would make it impossible to do.

spence

« Reply #973 on: 6 Dec 2017, 05:25 pm »
Mike,
   Do you get your laser etching done at Altech? Maybe they'll give you a price break if you have that done too.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #974 on: 6 Dec 2017, 05:32 pm »
Mike,
   Do you get your laser etching done at Altech? Maybe they'll give you a price break if you have that done too.

Yes I can get them to do laser etching. I’ve seen their laser etching work and it’s very good. Gallery here:

http://www.altechanodizing.com/products-services/laser-etching/

If someone wants laser etching on their case I can offer this option. But 1 step up from laser etching is engraved and paint filled. That will be my premium option.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #975 on: 6 Dec 2017, 05:49 pm »
I will work on optional front/rear panel templates for laser etching/engraving. Then anyone can choose if they want it added to their cases.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #976 on: 7 Dec 2017, 02:39 am »
I’m ordering enough genuine Kaiser 6061 T6 precision plate aluminum for 300 cases tomorrow. I’m going to have all of it cut up into panels and machined right away. Then when lots fill all I’ll need to do is send off for finishing/anodizing.

uncola

« Reply #977 on: 7 Dec 2017, 07:17 am »
I'm down for one of the medium tier cases.  Always buy american!  Or uh... Canadian!  You said the heatsinks are from Germany?  Are they going to be bigger?  For looks only?

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #978 on: 7 Dec 2017, 08:21 am »
The heat sinks help dissipate heat from the case. They aren't bigger than the Takachi, just better quality.

debjit.g

« Reply #979 on: 7 Dec 2017, 08:30 am »
for some of us who are getting the amps in the first lot, will their be an option to upgrade to mid-tier case before it ships ?