Can your power conditioner do this?

RPM123

Can your power conditioner do this?
« on: 7 Jul 2017, 03:14 pm »
From the Wells Audio website on their "Looking Glass" power conditioner.   :lol:

"At the heart of our conditioners we use a circuit developed by John Curl and Jack Bybee as it's main filtering technology. This circuit employs a series of filtering caps and also contains a "gas module" that breaks the circuit when it senses an overcurrent condition. Once the condition has passed the gas within the module reforms and once again becomes conductive allowing the conditioner to once again function normally. The specially designed outlets have phosphor bronze contacts (the best sounding material for audio contacts), all wiring is sourced directly from the wire manufacturer and is proprietary. Wire insulation is teflon."

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Re: Can your power conditioner do this?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2017, 04:21 pm »
http://www.wellsaudio.com/power-conditioners/

Who claims that phosphor bronze is "the best sounding" ? It has terrible conductivity. Oh look, "a series of filtering caps" which is pretty much all conditioners, and I hardly see any in there to begin with. No mention of other component but I'll assume there are that simply aren't listed. The outlets are all daisy chained, which is disappointing as I'd expect there to at least have multiple banks if not individually filtered outlets at this price point.

The gas module is the only really interesting bit, but if it's acting in capacity as a resetting fuse, I'm not sure I want something like that in the direct line of my power flow. *shrug*

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2017, 04:44 pm »
There must be 20 to 50 or more wire connections from the power company transformer to your hi-fi component and back. I don't see how adding a few very good connections can improve or even change anything. Remember how links in a chain work and the last 6 feet, first 6 feet thing doesn't apply to connections.

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2017, 09:12 pm »
Does not look good.

bacobits1

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2017, 09:59 pm »
Way over priced nonsence.
Geeeze!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2017, 10:48 pm »
Once the conditioner has passed the gas...

Instead of "Looking Glass" power conditioner, maybe they should call it "Flatulent" power conditioner!  :D

Early B.

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2017, 11:28 pm »
No mention of the receptacle quality in their description. They look exactly like the $6 industrial grade ones sold at Home Depot.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2017, 05:08 am »
I find Pass Seymour heavy duty receptacles to be pretty good for the under $3 they cost.
They grip well for many years.
I have used them near always..
I would have no problem at all using a conditioner which had them installed.
And in fact I replaced some rather crappy Monster 7000 ones with Pass Seymour.

JakeJ

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2017, 12:41 pm »
No, my power conditioner does not do that.

navi

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jul 2017, 12:46 pm »
My power conditioner makes the meanest latte, clips my toe nails and cleans my toilet but I can't about because it's patent pending.

Mike B.

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jul 2017, 01:52 pm »
Looks very much like Bob Crump's Bybee sucker filter. Large oil cap bypassed with a film cap. I suspect there are Bybee devices as well.  The safety device is a replacement for MOV style devices.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #11 on: 8 Jul 2017, 01:56 pm »
I find Pass Seymour heavy duty receptacles to be pretty good for the under $3 they cost.
They grip well for many years.
I have used them near always..
....................................... ..........................
Yep, top shelf Pass & Seymour receptacles are all you need, but I think that they cost well more than $3.

srb

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jul 2017, 02:27 pm »
Yep, top shelf Pass & Seymour receptacles are all you need, but I think that they cost well more than $3.

15A (8200) or 20A (8300) Hospital Grade generally sell in the range of ~ $8 - $10/ea and ~ $6/ea in 10-packs.

I did come across an Amazon listing for an unusually low price offer of $27.58 for a 10-pack of P&S 8300-HW, which would get you down to ~ $3/ea for hospital grade.

https://www.amazon.com/8300-HW-Heavy-Hospital-Grade-Recep/dp/B017UYT2ZM/ref=sr_1_6?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1499523523&sr=1-6&keywords=Pass+%26+Seymour+hospital+10+pack

Steve

Folsom

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jul 2017, 03:27 pm »
The recepticles are fine, they are isolated ground which can be very good if needed and used right. I don't see the use. Due to, as far as I can see, the design would be incompatible with SMPS devices for ideal/proper function.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #14 on: 8 Jul 2017, 03:56 pm »
Isolated Ground receptacles are only useful in systems that have metal conduit/tubing (either rigid or flexible) and building that have metal framing.  They serve no function in systems that use Romex® or plastic conduit.

srb

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jul 2017, 04:08 pm »
The linked Hospital Grade receptacles do not have an isolated ground.  Isolated ground models are available which have a triangle symbol on the face of the outlet for IG identification and also have "IG" as part of the model number.

Some older residential construction and maybe some newer commercial-inspired residential construction may have metallic conduit and boxes.  In that case, if there is 3-conductor wiring* (2-conductor + ground wire), isolated ground receptacles may be preferable to avoid ground loops.

* Not a common scenario, but I know homeowners with older metallic conduit, boxes and 2-wire feed that have replaced a circuit's wiring by pulling a new 3-wire feed through the conduit, and used an IG receptacle.

Steve

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #16 on: 8 Jul 2017, 05:47 pm »
  For the non esoteric outlets Pass & Seymor 5362 industrial are all ya need.

charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #17 on: 8 Jul 2017, 05:51 pm »
http://www.wellsaudio.com/power-conditioners/

Who claims that phosphor bronze is "the best sounding" ? It has terrible conductivity. Oh look, "a series of filtering caps" which is pretty much all conditioners, and I hardly see any in there to begin with. No mention of other component but I'll assume there are that simply aren't listed. The outlets are all daisy chained, which is disappointing as I'd expect there to at least have multiple banks if not individually filtered outlets at this price point.

The gas module is the only really interesting bit, but if it's acting in capacity as a resetting fuse, I'm not sure I want something like that in the direct line of my power flow. *shrug*

Furutech does. Have you tried Furutech Rhodium over phosphor bronze. Actually Furutech all copper sounds bright in direct comparison. Go figure. Maybe the sound is not about conductivity. Material mixes play an important role in sound.

charles

Folsom

« Reply #18 on: 8 Jul 2017, 09:53 pm »
Isolated Ground receptacles are only useful in systems that have metal conduit/tubing (either rigid or flexible) and building that have metal framing.  They serve no function in systems that use Romex® or plastic conduit.

Incorrect. If you have something that blocks ground loops they are entirley necessary.

WGH

« Reply #19 on: 9 Jul 2017, 02:03 am »
I'm familiar with the names John Curl and Jack Bybee but what the heck is a "gas module" that breaks the circuit when it senses an overcurrent condition"?

I Googled "gas module circuit breaker" and came up with almost nothin'.
The breaker doesn't even resemble the PASS M0, the only gas circuit breaker I could find:

The breaker does resemble the Rancho RS9000XL series nitrogen gas charged shocks I have on my Jeep (without the boot), it's probably pretty smooth when the music gets rough.