MQA Discussion Group

geowak

Re: MQA Discussion Grou
« Reply #440 on: 3 Jan 2018, 12:07 am »
With about 4 out of 5 MQA albums I listen to on Tidal...I am blown away by the sound quality. I live near a dealer and have bought some audio equipment from him. A nice LM Audio tube amp and Vandersteen speakers and my dealer is a very big fan of analog audio so he thinks I should invest in a quality turntable, good tonearm, really good cartridge and phono preamp. If I did this, I might have to spend $5k to $10k and buy albums; since I don’t have any now. With a streaming MQA device and a good DAC I can listen to hundreds of albums and new music with the $10 a month investment (Veterans discount).  All this and I have spent about $1k. The library of MQA albums grows every month. Even if Tidal is sold, many people think another investor will buy it.

IMHO I guess MQA is like the POTUS, you either like him or you think he is an idiot. Only the future will tell....

Norton

Re: MQA Discussion Group
« Reply #441 on: 3 Jan 2018, 12:49 pm »
I signed up to Tidal's 12 day no strings trial and everything is working well via my BDP1; however when I stream  MQA material my DAC indicates a 44.1 input.  I understood that Tidal performs the first "unfold" and so expected to see a higher sample rate with MQA, am I missing something?

Also, Tidal only seems to work with USB output, is this normal?

audio.bill

« Reply #442 on: 3 Jan 2018, 01:37 pm »
I signed up to Tidal's 12 day no strings trial and everything is working well via my BDP1; however when I stream  MQA material my DAC indicates a 44.1 input.  I understood that Tidal performs the first "unfold" and so expected to see a higher sample rate with MQA, am I missing something?

Also, Tidal only seems to work with USB output, is this normal?
Tidal only performs the first unfold of MQA material with their desktop app, I don't believe that is implemented by the BDP1. Directly from Tidal:
"Master: The best audio experience. To use Master, you need to have a TIDAL HiFi account. The Master audio playback quality is only available in the TIDAL desktop application."

Norton

« Reply #443 on: 3 Jan 2018, 02:37 pm »
Tidal only performs the first unfold of MQA material with their desktop app, I don't believe that is implemented by the BDP1. Directly from Tidal:
"Master: The best audio experience. To use Master, you need to have a TIDAL HiFi account. The Master audio playback quality is only available in the TIDAL desktop application."

Thanks, that seems pretty definitive!

skunark

« Reply #444 on: 6 Jan 2018, 04:14 am »
I assume there's a basic GPLv2 open-source licensing issue with MQA files to do the unfold and the music-player daemon that the BDP uses.  Reading a few of the MPD authors comments on the subject also makes me believe there are no plans to support property MQA files (decoder).    Maybe a workaround would be if closed-source Roon/Tidal endpoints did the mqa unfolding step, otherwise I would be curious if there is a legal way to make MPD to unfold and play MQA files.   

Maybe this entire thread is pointless and mostly out of Bryston's hands for the open-source MPD software.   

wushuliu

Re: MQA Discussion Grou
« Reply #445 on: 6 Jan 2018, 05:34 am »
With about 4 out of 5 MQA albums I listen to on Tidal...I am blown away by the sound quality. I live near a dealer and have bought some audio equipment from him. A nice LM Audio tube amp and Vandersteen speakers and my dealer is a very big fan of analog audio so he thinks I should invest in a quality turntable, good tonearm, really good cartridge and phono preamp. If I did this, I might have to spend $5k to $10k and buy albums; since I don’t have any now. With a streaming MQA device and a good DAC I can listen to hundreds of albums and new music with the $10 a month investment (Veterans discount).  All this and I have spent about $1k. The library of MQA albums grows every month. Even if Tidal is sold, many people think another investor will buy it.

IMHO I guess MQA is like the POTUS, you either like him or you think he is an idiot. Only the future will tell....

For the 500 trillionth time, you can't attribute the sound quality to MQA if you don't know what master was used. If they used a different master source vs. the 16/44 then of course it's going to sound different and likely better. That has zero to do with MQA. You would hear just as good playback, probably BETTER, if it was via flac, etc. But there since there is absolutely no transparency about the sources from any of the streaming sites you have no idea what it is you're basing your judgement. This is just one of the many problems with discussing MQA.

It's like going to a store to buy a 4k TV. Of course the TVs that are playing the native 4K HDR content are going to wow you into thinking they are the best, while the TVs over in the corner with non-native programming are going to get ignored. But guess what if you don't read the specs and do your research you won't know that unimpressive TV in the corner actually has better hardware and better picture quality than anything else in the store. Because they are using the inferior display programming on those while suckering you to spend more on the ones with native whizbang display. I know this is what they do, because I saw it first hand this weekend (and it's a well known tactic) and almost walked off with a much-reviewed inferior product. Luckily, I did my due diligence and researched.

But at this point, and you can apply it to your end analogy, the people who are going to go with MQA are going to go with it no matter how many facts - not internet opinions, straight up FACTS you put in their way. They'll make up some excuse or other to justify their decision. Well, as to how that will reflect on them, time will tell...

mav52

« Reply #446 on: 6 Jan 2018, 02:24 pm »
you can't attribute the sound quality to MQA if you don't know what master was used
   So very true.