MQA Discussion Group

reelvox

Re: MQA Discussion Group
« Reply #20 on: 11 Aug 2017, 02:43 am »
Interesting article by Paul Miller in the current  (Jul7 2017) issue of HiFi News and RR review on testing MQA. Miller has some serious chops as a test engineer to apply to this project.

are you at liberty to tell us what he concluded?

stonedeaf

« Reply #21 on: 11 Aug 2017, 03:51 am »
I buy my copies from B&N on dead trees - Gotta find that issue - it might be in the mobile midden heap ( my work truck) . From not very good memory -basically measuring MQA  was turning out to be a bit of a challenge.

reelvox

« Reply #22 on: 11 Aug 2017, 04:14 am »
I buy my copies from B&N on dead trees - Gotta find that issue - it might be in the mobile midden heap ( my work truck) . From not very good memory -basically measuring MQA  was turning out to be a bit of a challenge.

thanks!

R. Daneel

« Reply #23 on: 11 Aug 2017, 09:50 am »
No worries, Antun, all in good spirits.

This part of our world may have bigger worries now, with potential missiles flying over the Pacific. Fingers crossed.  :roll:

Yes, North Korea is taking it to the extreme. The thing is, everybody loses in such a standoff because embargo means nothing to them, they're already starving as it is.

We had a group of Iraqi children visit the Adriatic coastline last year. Just little boys and girls who lost their parents in the conflict so UNICEF brought them here for a while. One girl said that "they had taken her to heaven because this is the most beautiful country in the world". Talking about different perspectives...

See, with examples like that, I am "an extremist" too!!

Cheers!
Antun

witchdoctor

« Reply #24 on: 31 Aug 2017, 01:16 am »
Tidal has added a lot of new MQA albums including Motown (4 Tops, Supremes, Marvin Gaye), Classic Rock (The Who, Bad Company, Elton John), and even Opera (Maria Callas). I like that all of the new titles just show up when I open the app, no shopping necessary.

One of the best classic albums by Marvin Gaye, "What's Going On". James Jamerson's bass has never sounded so amazing and of course Marvin. I have the HiRez version of this album and don't remember it sounding this "right":

https://tidal.com/album/77632885

audio.bill

« Reply #25 on: 31 Aug 2017, 01:17 pm »
Peter from Lumin has compiled a list of MQA albums on Tidal which shows over 3,300 titles currently available, many more than the several hundred which are shown in the Tidal Master section. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T0xnOzPQZai32L7R7e_uzxfBqhXrPuXh3USOjvuztYg/edit#gid=1599853719

mav52

« Reply #26 on: 31 Aug 2017, 02:15 pm »
MQA, sounds somewhat like DSD to my ears. 

MQA, give it time, when DAC non-mqa companies are not selling dacs all of a sudden, you see MQA compatibility in their line up.  Just like those that said DSD was never going to fly, again. Ayre added DSD and so did Bryston.   When it comes down to sells even the most anti whatever manufacturers give in.  $$$ talk zero $$$ means trouble for the bottom line. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #27 on: 31 Aug 2017, 02:52 pm »

witchdoctor

« Reply #28 on: 31 Aug 2017, 03:06 pm »
Peter from Lumin has compiled a list of MQA albums on Tidal which shows over 3,300 titles currently available, many more than the several hundred which are shown in the Tidal Master section. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T0xnOzPQZai32L7R7e_uzxfBqhXrPuXh3USOjvuztYg/edit#gid=1599853719

Whoa, that is a lot of albums. I like that he posted via google docs so he can update it. That must have taken a lot of time, Tidal should hire this guy or at least license his listing services. I find the Bluos app lists a lot more MQA albums than Tidal but it may not be this extensive. Thanks  :D

Rupret

« Reply #29 on: 2 Sep 2017, 10:58 pm »

Yes, thanks audio.bill ... just got back from a business trip and going through the list now.  All I could ever see before was 400 some odd albums.

BTW, for those into phones the LG V30 will support MQA.

Rupret

« Reply #30 on: 2 Sep 2017, 11:00 pm »
I travel a lot.

Bubba12

« Reply #31 on: 3 Sep 2017, 02:00 am »
I love Tidal but I look at Masters and there aren't all those titles listed. Where and how do you find them?

audio.bill

« Reply #32 on: 3 Sep 2017, 02:06 am »
I love Tidal but I look at Masters and there aren't all those titles listed. Where and how do you find them?
Lumin is supporting MQA so they may have a special method to create the list I linked to above. If you search for any given album you will find many that have more than one version on Tidal, and depending on what software you're using the MQA version may be marked with an "M". Only a small subset of all available MQA albums have been correctly tagged at this point by Tidal to show up in their Masters section.

witchdoctor

« Reply #33 on: 3 Sep 2017, 02:07 am »

If you check this thread someone posted a fantastic spreadsheet of MASTERS albums from google docs.
I use the Bluesound app Bluos. It lists a lot more than Tidal bit I don't know if it is complete. It seems everytime I log in I see new albums, today I noticed a lot of Allman Brothers I hadn't seen. I downloaded Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" in 24/96 from Onkyo Music to do an A/B comparison. $20!!! I am so glad that I can get these albums on Tidal in MQA without paying $20 a pop.. BTW, I didn't like the 24/96 version as much.

Bubba12

« Reply #34 on: 3 Sep 2017, 02:15 am »
Thanks guys. I thought I was missing something. It seems you basically have to stumble onto them. I'm surprised in this day and age they aren't clearly marked with MASTERS plastered across the album. I use Roon with Tidal and it's the only real complaint I have.

Bubba12

« Reply #35 on: 3 Sep 2017, 02:26 am »
I look up one of my favorites Todd Rundgren Something/Anything? and there are 3 versions but nothing to indicate one is MQA. I don't know why they aren't clearly marked??

As an aside I am just getting into MQA and I am certain that it sounds better to my ears and I usually call BS on a lot of this stuff.

witchdoctor

« Reply #36 on: 3 Sep 2017, 02:31 am »
I look up one of my favorites Todd Rundgren Something/Anything? and there are 3 versions but nothing to indicate one is MQA. I don't know why they aren't clearly marked??

As an aside I am just getting into MQA and I am certain that it sounds better to my ears and I usually call BS on a lot of this stuff.

When you play the track look at the bottom, MQA tracks will display MASTERS.

witchdoctor

« Reply #37 on: 6 Sep 2017, 03:38 pm »
Playing Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore in MQA, simply ridiculous streaming through my Bluesound Node> Parasound Z Components> JBL 230 speakers in my desktop system. Hard to get any work done. :thumb:

Mike in NC

« Reply #38 on: 7 Sep 2017, 01:32 am »
XXX is a wholesale leap forward, in my opinion. If XXX is widely adopted by mastering studios (the reaction thus far has been very positive) and the decoders are readily available in digital processors, the benefit to the music lover and audiophile is incalculable. For the first time, consumers can play back in their homes a source that is nearly the equal of first-generation analog master tapes played on a state-of-the art tape machine. In some respects, the purely digital source made by feeding the live mike signal into the XXX encoder may be better than the analog master.

Robert Harley on HDCD, in Stereophile, in 1993. Does anyone miss HDCD today?

CanadianMaestro

• Skepticism is the engine of true progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #39 on: 7 Sep 2017, 02:46 am »
Robert Harley on HDCD, in Stereophile, in 1993. Does anyone miss HDCD today?

WTF is HDCD??  :scratch:

:sleep: