Welcome to the Open Baffle circle

JohnR

Welcome to the Open Baffle circle
« on: 5 Apr 2017, 12:19 pm »
I'd like to very gratefully acknowledge the contribution of Mark (mcgsxr), who facilitated the Open Baffle circle for over ten years.

For the current period of time in which I am Facilitator, my goal is to encourage an open and "non-partisan" discussion of open baffle speakers. Please feel free to start and participate in threads that discuss all aspect of open baffle speakers, whether DIY or commercial. While I would particularly encourage technical discussion (construction, measurements, theory, etc), all discussion related to open baffle speakers is most welcome.

What is not welcome here is commercial activity/advertising, shilling, off-topic discussion, personal attacks and snipes, unhelpful bickering, and similar (see also links below). Thank you in advance for helping with this  :thumb:

Special note for anyone in the industry: you are welcome to post technical information that is not specifically related to your products here. However, please do so only if you are already have a circle OR have started a thread in Industry Introductions. If there is a discussion here about your products that you need to respond to, please direct posters to an appropriate thread in your circle or to your thread in Industry Introductions.

Don_S

Re: Welcome to the Open Baffle circle
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2017, 02:44 pm »
John,

As an OB fan I want to thank you for creating the go-to site for OB discussion and information. Seeing the new topics/threads you created was a very pleasant surprise this morning. And thanks to Mark for his previous efforts.  :thumb: :beer:

Odal3

« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2017, 01:03 am »
+1  Thank you Mark!

and I really like all the new threads that was started today. Will follow with much interest  :thumb:

ANDREY MAXIMOV

« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2017, 02:58 pm »
Ура!!! Нашёл соратников ОВ. Надо готовить свою темку... :duh:

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2017, 07:18 pm »
Ура!!! Нашёл соратников ОВ. Надо готовить свою темку... :duh:

Googletranslated:

"Hooray!!! I found colleagues OB. We must prepare our Temko"

Wecome to AudioCircle Andrey Maximov!   
Please post in english so we can understand your posts. :D

wkmc

• still trying to get on the porch at present. havei
« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2020, 08:25 pm »
a crazy question...
open ceiling, with exposed cross beams. 
how would it be to add ob down firing subs close to the corners?

ecrimjr

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jul 2021, 03:46 am »
I’m Elton, a long time audiophile in Wisconsin.  I”m about to attempt to build a pair of open baffle speakers and I’m on here just trying to get as much useful information as possible.  I have partially built a relatively small single driver open baffle speaker before using a pair of baffles given to me and I have modified Magnapan mg 12’s with and construction help from the magnestand guy.  These have been my main speakers for a very long time now.  I’m hoping to build a pair of open baffles that give me the height and sound stage of the modded Maggie’s with a tad bit more clarity and dynamic impact.  I’m flying slightly blind at the moment as a friend gave me a base and brackets for a PAP type open baffle but I’m choosing my own drivers and building my own baffle and I have to figure out the crossover thing. Any greetings to all.
Elton

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jul 2021, 12:05 pm »
Welcome to AC Elton.  :)

Steviewunda

« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2021, 04:07 am »
Hi guys and gals (are there any?) My name is Steve, from Hamilton, New Zealand. My current system does double duty for music and home theatre. All audio to the fronts (Magnepan 1.7's) runs through a Willsenton R8 tube amp which has just replaced a Hegel H190 (I wanted to reduce my investment in gear and try tubes for the first time - very pleased so far). But I have been wanting to scratch the open baffle itch for a while now, partly just because I like a project, but also because I'm genuinely curious - and hoping to build something with the air and soundstage of the Maggies (or better), but which is also easier to drive. Anyway, hopefully we'll be able to scratch that itch together  :thumb:

Mandevillela

• Nice wine…and audio stuff, enjoy both
« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2021, 09:20 pm »
Hi…I am using Caintuck Audio lil audio 15s for my set 300b system….took a while to break in, but they are very nice…very similar to offerings by Decware

oneartist

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2022, 03:33 am »
I built two GR Research Open Baffle W/Frame subs. I'm setting up the room using
Lyngdorf MP60 2.1 AV Processor with RoomPerfect room processing. The manuel says to contact the sub builder to determine the right delay for the subs. They are 126" from prime seating location. How many inches should I add to this measurement to enable the sub sound to arrive with the mains. The mains are 120". Usually 30 or 40" is added to the actual distance to enhance synronized arrival. RoomPerfect is amazing.

OCityruxer

• Nx Studio w/upgrades
« Reply #11 on: 4 Jul 2022, 06:49 pm »
Have a fairly large room with vaulted ceilings and two levels. Have a REL SUB and contemplating how to place it

petieboy

« Reply #12 on: 20 Nov 2022, 06:05 pm »
Have a fairly large room with vaulted ceilings and two levels. Have a REL SUB and contemplating how to place it
Yeah my room is a bit unusual.
In the end it took 4 small Kef KC62`s (started with 2) to even things out whilst also bringing the best bass performance. They run efficiently this way too which is a bonus. 

petieboy

« Reply #13 on: 20 Nov 2022, 06:07 pm »
Oh and has rather low cathedral ceilings as well. Not ideal.
Special attention to room treatments was required.

apa4fun

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jan 2023, 01:02 pm »
Hello. I am Andrew and looking for a diy open baffle project to try.