Ultracapacitor Power Supplies are coming (PURE-DC-4EVR: the MINI and the MEGA) !

pl_svn

Vinnie... could you, please, post pictures/specs of the DC cable you make for the Mini?
might change my mind and order one of yours ;)

thank you :)

jtwrace

Vinnie... could you, please, post pictures/specs of the DC cable you make for the Mini?

I did.   :green:

pl_svn

:scratch:

you mean... they are custom-made and can be "up to 6 foot length"?  :D

Vinnie R.

Hi pl_svn,

I should have a pic to post next week. 

One end will have red and black insulated, gold-plated banana plugs (these plug into the red and black binding posts on back
of the MINI).  The other end will have the plug that you specify (e.g. 5.5mm/2.1mm barrel plug, used for Sonore microRendu).
Wire will be stranded copper, twisted pair, 16awg.  Techflex / heatshrinked with love  :thumb:

Vinnie

Duke40

I have joined the club and just ordered one  :D  along with the DC power cable.

Also really pleased that a MINI-HV will become available later this year.

Good times !

jtwrace

I have joined the club and just ordered one  :D  along with the DC power cable.

Also really pleased that a MINI-HV will become available later this year.

Good times !
What will you power with it? 

Duke40

What will you power with it?

The one I just ordered is for my Auralic Aries (Femto version).

Will buy another next month when the MINI-HV or MINI+ (or other name that Vinnie selects to call the higher voltage version of the MINI) becomes available. That one will be for my Auralic Gemini 2000 DAC/Headamp as it requires 19V (I find that this DAC/Headamp does scale up quite nicely each time I use a better power supply).

pl_svn

The one I just ordered is for my Auralic Aries (Femto version).

same here :)

Duke40

same here :)
Great minds think alike  8)
With Auralic releasing firmware 4.0 with memory play, and now Vinnie creating the MINI to provide the ultimate power, I look forward to even better listening.

rlabarre

All,

I already decided over the weekend that a 15 - 24Vdc version of the MINI is going to happen, and I already
started on the design.  I probably won't have it available to order until later this year, but it is coming next...

Vinnie

Vinnie, please let me know if this higher-voltage version of the MINI would make practical sense as a replacement for the standard lead-acid battery power supply of a fully-outfitted Red Wine Audio Isabella. I realize that you have moved-on to bigger and better things, but I suspect the Isabella could be modified easily enough to accommodate a MINI-HV. The larger question is do you think there would be enough improvement in sound quality to merit such an investment? While I still use the Isabella daily and for much of the day, it has been years since it has had a place in my reference sound system. Is there a chance that a MINI-HV-powered Isabella could persuade me to want to reconsider that? Or would money be better spent just upgrading to a LIO?   

Vinnie R.

Vinnie, please let me know if this higher-voltage version of the MINI would make practical sense as a replacement for the standard lead-acid battery power supply of a fully-outfitted Red Wine Audio Isabella. I realize that you have moved-on to bigger and better things, but I suspect the Isabella could be modified easily enough to accommodate a MINI-HV. The larger question is do you think there would be enough improvement in sound quality to merit such an investment?

Hi rlabarre,

Yes, the VR MINI (upcoming 24Vdc output version) would certainly be an improvement to the Red Wine Audio Isabella preamp and it should be able to be easily modified for this.  Without trying it first, it is hard for me to quantify how much of an improvement and in what ways...

Is there a chance that a MINI-HV-powered Isabella could persuade me to want to reconsider that? Or would money be better spent just upgrading to a LIO?

I believe it would be much better spent on upgrading to LIO, and there many reasons for this:

- LIO uses a signifcantly larger ultracapacitor power supply than the VR MINI, so it has much lower output impedance and much
higher current delivery. 
- LIO's module platform is a lot more sophisticated, making future upgrades and add-ons very easy
- LIO's modules are all of much higher performance ( dac, phonostage, power amp, headphone amp, etc. - are all superior designs).
- Various linestage options (volume control / Tubestage) - all of which are higher performance than what we offered with RWA.
- Full-function remote (PWR on/off, Mute, Input select, volume control in discrete steps, balance control in discrete steps,
dac and phonostage controls).
- No need to be concerned about charging batteries, degraded performance over time as batteries age, or even replacing batteries
- No need to be concerned about play time limitations (LIO can be used 24/7/365 if you want).
- There are more exciting developments for LIO on the way, and it will continue to evolve because this flexibility was "designed into" LIO. 

Best regards,

Vinnie

jtwrace

How is MINI production going?  All on schedule?

Vinnie R.

How is MINI production going?  All on schedule?

Hi jtwrace,

Very well - I still aim to begin shipping at the end of this month, and into December.  I'll be sure to
update this thread when shipping begins.

I am also working on the slightly larger version of the MINI that can be set from 15V - 24Vdc (still 2.5A continuous output current and 5A peaks), and I hope to have that ready to order by the end of this year.  :hyper:

Vinnie

jtwrace

Hi jtwrace,

Very well - I still aim to begin shipping at the end of this month, and into December.  I'll be sure to
update this thread when shipping begins.
OK, great! 

I am also working on the slightly larger version of the MINI that can be set from 15V - 24Vdc (still 2.5A continuous output current and 5A peaks), and I hope to have that ready to order by the end of this year.  :hyper:

Vinnie
I'm sure that will make some people very happy!   :thumb:

denjo

Hi Vinnie

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter, Lucia! [That's a lovely name which, as with your other daughters, you could use for your new line of audio products]

I have a question about your power supplies: would you be offering one which can power multiple sources (mostly within 5 DCV to 12 DCV), with separate controls to change the voltage for each? This would be great to power Squeezebox, Cable TV, Apple TV, DACs, etc., and I'm sure there would always be a demand to power such sources with your Ultracapacitor Power Supplies.

Best Regards
Dennis

« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2016, 11:06 am by denjo »

poseidonsvoice

• Vector - I've got Direction & Magnitude! Oh Yeah!
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Hi Vinnie

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter, Lucia! [That's a lovely name for your ever growing list of innovative products]

I have a question about your power supplies: would you be offering one which can power multiple sources (mostly within 5 DCV to 12 DCV), with separate controls to change the voltage for each? This would be great to power Squeezebox, Cable TV, Apple TV, DACs, etc., and I'm sure there would always be a demand to power such sources with your Ultracapacitor Power Supplies.

Best Regards
Dennis

+1.

Best,
Anand.

Vinnie R.

Hi Vinnie

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter, Lucia! [That's a lovely name which, as with your other daughters, you could use for your new line of audio products]

Best Regards
Dennis

Thank you, Dennis!

The MEGA supply (coming Spring 2017) will be a modular design where you can order different output voltage modules and install them.
I'm pretty sure that each module will have a preset output voltage, but you can easily trade it back in (e.g. you no longer need the 5V module and instead want 12V).  Yes, it will offer approx. 4 or 5 different locations (so 4 or 5 different outputs for different devices).

Refer to my first post of this thread regarding the MEGA.   I'll post updates as the design progresses over the Winter 2017.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

All,

Just a reminder that the special pre-order pricing for the VR MINI supply ends Nov. 30th.  That's just a few more days away...  :hyper:

www.vinnierossi.com/mini

We'll begin shipping from the order queue starting at the end of next week, and into December.  All is on schedule!  :thumb:

Thank you,

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

All,

Just a reminder that the special pre-order pricing for the VR MINI supply ends Nov. 30th.  That's just a few more days away...  :hyper:

www.vinnierossi.com/mini

We'll begin shipping from the order queue starting at the end of next week, and into December.  All is on schedule!  :thumb:

Thank you,

Vinnie

As for the MINI (15V - 24V version), it is in the works and I hope to begin taking orders at the end of this year (and shipping
sometime in January).  I'll post updates as they become available...

Thank you,

Vinnie
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:48 pm by Vinnie R. »