Ultracapacitor Power Supplies are coming (PURE-DC-4EVR: the MINI and the MEGA) !

jriggy

Nice, J!!

Wish I was ready and could of got one at the intro price! to many large house repairs right now, so stereo is on hold before getting the network side of the system up.. .
I almost jumped on one anyway and wanted to ask Vinnie to just hold on to it till I was ready. That felt silly but who doesn't like saving money on the enevidable! :dunno:  :duh:

jtwrace

Nice, J!!

Wish I was ready and could of got one at the intro price! to many large house repairs right now, so stereo is on hold before getting the network side of the system up.. .
I almost jumped on one anyway and wanted to ask Vinnie to just hold on to it till I was ready. That felt silly but who doesn't like saving money on the enevidable! :dunno: :duh:
Bummer.  Well, at least you can get one when you're ready.   :thumb:

pl_svn

Mine too was shipped on Friday  :singing:
*might* be here by the end of this week (all depends on italian customs  :cuss: )

Thank you so much, Vinnie :D

jtwrace

My MINI is in the house!  Powering the µRendu as I type this.   :thumb:

Thanks Vinnie! 

pgbcincy

My MINI is in the house!  Powering the µRendu as I type this.   :thumb:

Thanks Vinnie!

Hi jtw,

Interested in your move to MINI vs. using LIO module DSD/PCM DAC+ (DAC with uRendu power).  I thought these would be sonically similar with no improvement with a move to MINI.  Are you noticing any sonic differences/improvements?

Thx!

jtwrace

Hi jtw,

Interested in your move to MINI vs. using LIO module DSD/PCM DAC+ (DAC with uRendu power).  I thought these would be sonically similar with no improvement with a move to MINI.  Are you noticing any sonic differences/improvements?

Thx!

This is what I posted on CA.See if I can get this right after staying up waaay too late last night into this morning listening. I previously had the UpTone Audio [/size]JS[/color][/size]-2 for my µRendu. After getting the Vinnie Rossi LIO and trying them both powering the Rendu I decided to just use the LIO to power the µRendu. Using the [/color][/size]JS[/color][/size]-2 either at 7Vdc or 9Vdc compared to the LIO at 7Vdc didn't really change anything so I went with the LIO. [/color][/size]Enter the Vinnie Rossi MINI. I had the MINI configured at 9Vdc. There is no doubt in my mind that the MINI at 9Vdc takes the µRendu performance up a notch when using the MINI compared to the JS-2. The micro detail and just "ease" is better. The MINI proves that an all in one solution (Linear Charging and Large Ultracapaacitors) providing 9vdc is the way to go. My µRendu isn't any warmer. Vinnie Rossi MINI is HIGHLY recommended![/color]

Vinnie R.

Hi jtwrace,

The MINI proves that an all in one solution (Linear Charging and Large Ultracapaacitors) providing 9vdc is the way to go. My µRendu isn't any warmer. Vinnie Rossi MINI is HIGHLY recommended!

Thanks for post your early MINI impressions powering the microRendu!

It sure does sound amazingly good with the microRendu!  :singing:

Vinnie

Theobetley

Here is an idea: how about a Mini module that fits into the LIO? Ideally there could be several outlets at 5, 7, 9 volts. That way it would run off the supercaps and hopefully be less expensive than the Mini. I could use it for my fibre optic staions.

pgbcincy

Thanks jtw!  I’m reading between the lines a little… so I will summarize to make sure I understand.

I previously had the UpTone Audio JS-2 for my µRendu. After getting the Vinnie Rossi LIO and trying them both powering the Rendu I decided to just use the LIO to power the µRendu. Using the JS-2 either at 7Vdc or 9Vdc compared to the LIO at 7Vdc didn't really change anything so I went with the LIO.

No difference between JS-2 and LIO DAC+ (uRendu powered by LIO UltraCaps) - This surprises me.  I would have thought 'off the grid' design of the LIO DAC+ Module would have produced better results than the JS-2. 

Enter the Vinnie Rossi MINI. I had the MINI configured at 9Vdc. There is no doubt in my mind that the MINI at 9Vdc takes the µRendu performance up a notch when using the MINI compared to the JS-2. The micro detail and just "ease" is better. The MINI proves that an all in one solution (Linear Charging and Large Ultracapacitors) providing 9vdc is the way to go.

With MINI besting JS-2 (and LIO DAC+ as they where the same).  Are you thinking the 9VDC has something to do with the advantage?  And maybe this is a question for Vinnie, is there different design/parts that are better in the MINI than the LIO DAC+ solution? 

I really appreciate the insight!  Thx!

Paul

jpm

I was happy to catch the note about the higher voltage version of the mini.  Hopefully this would this function as a direct replacement for Turntable power supplies like the Rega's TTPSU's wall wart for example?

Also, is there any new info on development of the Mega?

TMM56

Not sure that one can attribute the sonic improvement to the higher voltage when powering the mircoRendu.  I was using an excellent 7V Teddy Pardo LPS with clean stable AC previously and now have a MINI set at 7V and it is a noticable improvement.  The only way to nail it down would be a direct comparison of MINI'S running 7 and 9 volts.  I would think that there is much more going on with the MINI'S circuitry and powering capabilities than voltage differences within the microRendu's operating parameters.

Vinnie R.

Here is an idea: how about a Mini module that fits into the LIO? Ideally there could be several outlets at 5, 7, 9 volts. That way it would run off the supercaps and hopefully be less expensive than the Mini. I could use it for my fibre optic staions.

Hi Theobetley,

I have looked into this before, but it is not going to happen for the following 2 reasons:

1) No available module location for this.

2) The external product could easily feed noise back into the LIO and its internal modules, so it is best to keep
external products powered separately. 

Hopefully this would this function as a direct replacement for Turntable power supplies like the Rega's TTPSU's wall wart for example?

Also, is there any new info on development of the Mega?

Hi jpm, yes a TT power supply that outputs a DC voltage to the motor should be a candidate for the MINI if the voltage requirement
is the same.

As for the MEGA, I'm still aiming for Spring (and it could be late Spring of even Summer of 2017).  I've just been too busy on
new stuff coming for LIO (and fulfilling MINI orders).

Hi TMM56,

Yes, I agree.  But there could also be something going on inside the microRendu where one finds 9V to give better performance.  Perhaps this is something that Sonore can shed some light on (not sure if they covered this in the past on their forums)?

Thanks for your posts!

Vinnie

TMM56

Yes, I agree.  But there could also be something going on inside the microRendu where one finds 9V to give better performance.  Perhaps this is something that Sonore can shed some light on (not sure if they covered this in the past on their forums)?

Vinnie, what are your findings?  Do you find that 8 or 9V sounds better with the microRendu than 7V? Most comments are around the 7V spec and the other available ultracap PS is a 7V 1.1A output.  All I can say is that the MR w/MINI 7V sounds super.

Vinnie R.

Vinnie, what are your findings?  Do you find that 8 or 9V sounds better with the microRendu than 7V?

I'll need more time to carefully evaluate this, but right now I'm too slammed with other things that I need
to get done.

trcks

Hi Vinnie,

Happy New Year!

The LIO DHT integrated amp has been one of the best audio purchases ever - thank you for developing such a wonderful all-in-one package.
But then there is the NAS and the network switch, each one with their switching power supply, feeding the uRendu.
Would the Mini or the Mega or something else you have coming be the best choice to replace those switching power supplies?
From the descriptions, the Mega seems up to the task but might be overkill just for the network switch and the NAS considering the expected price.
Do you have any plans or any recommendations for suitable replacements of those switching power supplies?

What would be REALLY nice would be a new piece of equipment which is a NAS combined with network switch and wifi with clean power built-in and high quality, clean ethernet connection to the uRendu. Any plans?

Best Regards, Tom

Vinnie R.

Hi Tom,

The LIO DHT integrated amp has been one of the best audio purchases ever - thank you for developing such a wonderful all-in-one package.

I'm very glad to hear this... a very nice way to start the new year!  :thumb:

But then there is the NAS and the network switch, each one with their switching power supply, feeding the uRendu.
Would the Mini or the Mega or something else you have coming be the best choice to replace those switching power supplies?

You would need to check the required DC voltage and current (power), and email me about this.  I think the MINI should be up to the task of handling this, but it depends on the device(s) and their power requirements.

What would be REALLY nice would be a new piece of equipment which is a NAS combined with network switch and wifi with clean power built-in and high quality, clean ethernet connection to the uRendu. Any plans?

I love that idea, but I'm so busy with so many different projects that I don't have the time to offer it. 

I need to figure out how to clone myself a few times over it seems.  :P

Thanks again,

Vinnie

mrubey

Hi Vinnie,
This is your multi billion dollar product possibility.
The applications are endless. From the audio junkie to solar trickle charge.
Camping, off grid homes, EV power storage, etc etc.

There is an Austin Texas company whose name escapes me that developed a large capacitor (75 lbs) that was being used as a quick charge power storage in a Canadian EV. They partnered up with Lockheed and disappeared into secrecy and inaccessibility. Please resist the temptation. Partner with Elan Musk.
Blessings

Duke40

Hi Vinnie,

Any news on how the higher voltage version is coming along?
Will their be any pre-order savings like their was for the lower voltage version of the Mini?

I am enjoying the benefits that the 12v Mini has provided my Auralc Aries. Keep up the great work.

John

Vinnie R.

They partnered up with Lockheed and disappeared into secrecy and inaccessibility. Please resist the temptation. Partner with Elan Musk.
Blessings

Hi mrubey,

Ultracapacitors certainly do have many applications (outside audio), and while Elon Musk is involved in many exciting projects, I don't believe his passion is 2-channel home audio.  So I have no temptation to resist in terms of partnering with him.   :green:

Hi Duke40,

For the 15 - 24V MINI, I have the PCBs here.  I just need to make the time to test them and start production.  It might not be for another few weeks.  I'm sorry for the delay on this, everyone.  I've been so busy with so many projects and my home life with our baby girl.

Yes, I'll be offering a pre-order discount again.  8)

Cheers,

Vinnie

sfox7076

Is there any hope of doing an ultracapacitor that does B+ level (250v say) at low amperage?  I am having a bear of a time futzing with a phono preamp that could totally benefit from this tech.  That said, I may consider the Mega for the filaments on the stage (6.3v @ 4.7A total).