Ultracapacitor Power Supplies are coming (PURE-DC-4EVR: the MINI and the MEGA) !

Vinnie R.

All,

Since LIO was introduced in 2014, I have received numerous requests for a dedicated DC power supply product that uses the same patent-pending, isolated, ultracapacitor-based power supply technology ("PURE-DC-4EVR").  You can learn more about it, here:
http://www.vinnierossi.com/lio-technology/

Such an isolated power supply would be used to replace the stock “wall-wort” power adapter that is used to feed generally smaller products that input a DC input voltage.  For example: the Sonore microRendu and other small computer modules, USB cards, dacs, preamps, headphone amplifiers, and even small amplifiers, and other products & DIY projects requiring fairly low DC voltage(s). Even some CD Transports, turntable motors, and field-coil drivers run on 12Vdc, for example.

I am excited to announce that I have been busy working on two different power supply products using LIO’s technology, and they are not too far from being released!  :thumb:

MINI PURE-DC-4EVR

The first one will be a smaller power supply design (approx. 6” wide x 7” deep x 3.5” tall) called the MINI PURE-DC-4EVR (“The MINI”) with the following 'expected' features:

-  One output voltage (set at the factory to any value from 3.3Vdc to 12Vdc *)
-  2.5A continuous output current (max) / 5A transient current delivery (< 1 sec.)
-  Custom Belleson “SPVR-X” (Super Power, Vinnie Rossi, X = adjustable setting) ‘super-regulated’ output, featuring
patented regulator technology.
-  Built-in linear regulated charging circuit
-  Totally silent switching (SS) of the ultracapacitor banks
-  Fully isolated output voltage to feed your product
-  Banana/Spade/bare wire type output terminals (Red = positive, Black = Negative)
-  Fused IEC power input jack.  Fused output.
-  Black aluminum enclosure, with power switch on the front panel
-  We'll also be offering custom-made power cables to connect between MINI and your product (e.g. 5.5mm / 2.5mm barrel plug, 3 foot long).  Pricing on the cables TBD.

* The output voltage can also be later changed (within the 3.3V to 12Vdc range) with a free factory upgrade to original customers (requires a firmware update and minor hardware change).  For second-hand owners, we will still offer this for a service fee.

Timeframe

I hope to begin taking pre-orders for MINI PURE-DC-4EVR sometime next month (October 2016), and being shipping late-November.
I'll be sure to post progress updates on this thread!

Pricing

The pre-order price will be $795 + shipping.  After that, the regular price will be $995 + shipping.

MEGA PURE-DC-4EVR

The next one will be a much larger power supply design called MEGA PURE-DC-4EVR (“The MEGA”).  Unlike the MINI, it is still in the early stages of development so I do not yet know the exact dimensions (I estimate something closer to the size of a LIO), and I am still working out the features, time frame, and pricing.  Here is what I am aiming for:

Features

-  A 'modular' power supply solution.  By modular, I mean you can add different output modules for multiple output voltages (most likely in the 3.3V to 18Vdc range).  I’d like it to be able to accommodate up to 4 or 5 power output modules.
-  A total output current of around 10A continuous (20A transient current delivery).  By “total,” I mean if you only have one module, it could output 10A continuously.  If you have two or more modules, the max current that draws from all of them combined must not exceed 10A continuously.
-  Custom Belleson “SPVR-X” (Super Power, Vinnie Rossi, X = adjustable setting) ‘super-regulated’ output, featuring
patented regulator technology.

Timeframe

Estimated Spring 2017

Price

To be determined, but it will probably be starting in the $2K -$3K range and final price will depend on the number of output modules.

Other

With this kind of power, the MEGA will be able to drive more current hungry products than the MINI, and it will be larger and modular to offer multiple outputs. 

I have also been playing with an early prototype version of the MEGA feeding a Pure Sine Wave Inverter that is outputting up to 120Vac / 1A (120W), which you can use to feed certain AC powered products (e.g. dacs, phonostages, preamps, small integrateds, computers, etc) that are not power mongers.  You would still be totally isolated from the Mains power, and depending on the quality of the Pure Sine Wave inverter, could actually provide cleaner power than you can get from your home’s AC outlet – and totally isolated from the rest of your home.   

LIO’s patent-pending power supply design is the very first of its kind and has been a game changer used in LIO and VR120.  Very soon you’ll be able to enjoy what it will do for your listening experience with other products.  I’ll be sure to post updates on this thread!

Thank you for all your continued interest, support, and enthusiasm for Vinnie Rossi audio products!  8)

Vinnie
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2016, 04:00 pm by Vinnie R. »

jtwrace

Wow, that's awesome Vinnie!  I think others that aren't LIO customers will be amazed at how your technology (and customer service) is second to none.   :thumb:

Love my LIO's! 

Jonathon Janusz

-  Built-in linear regulated charging circuit (no SMPS or DC-DC converter circuits used)

Vinnie, first, congratulations on this and thank you!  I know there is a lot of DC powered stuff out there that will benefit from this.  I wouldn't be surprised if you had all your black lightning customers lining up to upgrade as well!  Something that popped in to mind - don't the King Sound electrostats run on low voltage/current DC power bricks?  Imagine ESLs running on pure DC!  :guitar:

The line above intrigued me.  Does that mean that there will be no wall wart power supply required for the mini at all; just AC wall outlet - power cord - mini - DC output?  If so, is this built-in something that you are considering bringing to LIO or can't all that extra goodness fit in the box?

Vinnie R.

The line above intrigued me.  Does that mean that there will be no wall wart power supply required for the mini at all; just AC wall outlet - power cord - mini - DC output? 

Thank you, JJ!

You are correct!

If so, is this built-in something that you are considering bringing to LIO or can't all that extra goodness fit in the box?

No - that cannot fit in LIO.  LIO uses a 24V, 5A supply.  If using a linear supply, it's too large to fit in there. 

Vinnie

jtwrace

Thank you, JJ!

You are correct!

No - that cannot fit in LIO.  LIO uses a 24V, 5A supply.  If using a linear supply, it's too large to fit in there. 

Vinnie
Could the MEGA be configured to power the DHT LIO filaments and charge the LIO?  That would be badass me thinks.  :green:

SlushPuppy

Hmmm, sounds like a nice upgrade for my Mytek Brooklyn  :thumb:

jtwrace

Wish I had this before the LIO.  Would have been the perfect power supply for all DC powered components. 

Vinnie R.

Could the MEGA be configured to power the DHT LIO filaments and charge the LIO?  That would be badass me thinks.  :green:

Hi jtwrace,

YES for providing an output for running the DHT PRE filaments.  NO for charging the LIO (LIO needs 24Vdc, but the modules
for the MEGA will be able to output in the range of 3.3Vdc to 18Vdc). 

Hi SlushPuppy,

It looks like the Brooklyn runs on 12V, 6A.  The MEGA will be able to take care of that (but the MINI is limited to 2.5A max output).

Vinnie

Jonathon Janusz

Vinnie, do you think the mega will have enough juice on tap to run the DHT plus a few other smaller items, or will it be only able to run the DHT if configured to do that?  I was thinking if it could run the micro rendu (or another DC powered streamer) that it could work around needing the modded power output added to the DAC making future modular DAC upgrades easier for some customers.

(BTW, being able to run the DHT on ultracaps is pretty darn awesome!)

(oh, and I just took a minute to look; the kingsound esl run on 11-15v, 120mA DC supplies.  That would be something fun to hear, I think.)

Vinnie R.

Vinnie, do you think the mega will have enough juice on tap to run the DHT plus a few other smaller items, or will it be only able to run the DHT if configured to do that?  I was thinking if it could run the micro rendu (or another DC powered streamer) that it could work around needing the modded power output added to the DAC making future modular DAC upgrades easier for some customers.

Hi JJ,

Yes, it should be fine to run the DHT PRE and some other small things with the MEGA.  I would have to first do some testing here to be sure, but I think it would work well.

Vinnie

esmit

Will you make a 230 V EU version?

Vinnie R.

Will you make a 230 V EU version?

Hi esmit,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the VR forum!

Yes, there will be a 110 - 120Vac version, and a 220 - 240Vac version.

Vinnie

Jim Hamley

I put the question of how much current the Mytek Brooklyn needs to their tech support. Answer:
Hi Jim

We are recommending minimum 3A/12V power supply. Some people at computer audio file forum swear that external power supply make huge difference but you must check it by yourself.

Best regards
Kamil

Note that the Sbooster folks claim their BOTW P&P ECO 12V – 13.2V can drive the Brooklyn:
https://www.sbooster.com/mytek-brooklyn-dac-power-test/
So, I think Vinnie's new PS is still in play for the Brooklyn.

Vinnie R.

https://www.sbooster.com/mytek-brooklyn-dac-power-test/
So, I think Vinnie's new PS is still in play for the Brooklyn.

Hi Jim,

I just saw that link and they say:

For this test we use our Sbooster iKnow (red LCD) device. We have checked the power consumption for 10 – 15 minutes. The power consumption of the Mytek Brooklyn is 10 - 12W (44.1 – DSD) without headphone usage.

If this is true, the MINI will be fine as it can deliver 12V and up to 2.5A (30W) continuous.  Cool  8)

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

UPDATE 9/12:

This week I'll be ordering a few PCBs to test the new board layout for the VR MINI.  I hope to see them sometime next week.  :hyper:
If everything goes according to plan, I should be able to open it up to VR MINI pre-orders at the end of this month...

Vinnie

kdbrink

I'm in on this to power the microRendu.

Vinnie R.

I'm in on this to power the microRendu.

Hi kdbrink et al,

I'll be posting more about the VR MINI soon.  I have boards coming at the end of this week and I'll be testing.  If
all goes well, I'll have a pre-production prototype ready for RMAF next week.  I'll use it to power my microRendu in
the exhibit room (room 7004).

So far, so good!

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

All,

GOOD NEWS!  I built a VR MINI board and all is working out fine (after some debugging of the firmware).

I will have a prototype VR MINI at RMAF this week (powering a microRendu, and a CD transport) via
it's isolated, silent-switching, ultracapacitor circuit and super-regulated output stage!  8)

After the show, I'll have a better idea on when we'll be taking pre-orders and getting ready for production.

So far, so good!

Vinnie

jtwrace

All,

GOOD NEWS!  I built a VR MINI board and all is working out fine (after some debugging of the firmware).

I will have a prototype VR MINI at RMAF this week (powering a microRendu, and a CD transport) via
it's isolated, silent-switching, ultracapacitor circuit and super-regulated output stage!  8)

After the show, I'll have a better idea on when we'll be taking pre-orders and getting ready for production.

So far, so good!

Vinnie
This is GREAT news!  Look forward to seeing the MINI pics from RMAF.

zybar

All,

So far, so good!

Vinnie

Congrats Vinnie!

Have a great show and hopefully we can get together later this month.

George