Initial thoughts re Atlantic DAC

DGCURTIS36

Initial thoughts re Atlantic DAC
« on: 24 Jul 2016, 01:33 am »
Lampizator/system

I recently purchased the Lampizator Atlantic DAC and wanted to offer some thoughts on the buying experience, and some comments on the DAC in my system.

First the experience: The Atlantic is my second Lampizator DAC, the first being the L4. Two main reasons for the upgrade were (1) the auto detection and playback of DSD files, which is really helpful for when one wants to have mixed PCM and DSD albums/songs in a playlist and (2) Lukasz' comments re the quality/price point of the DAC, the price fortunately being within my current budget. What was really helpful in that regard was the Lampizator trade in policy, which I think is amazing. The trade in allowance I received was very generous, the only drawback being the international shipping cost and process, but Fred coached me through that and off it went. Speaking of Fred, he has been great with both purchases. He is very good about responding to questions and any issues that have come up along the way.

Second the DAC: The DAC was packed really securely and was double boxed. I chose the blue ring button and black front panel, both of which go great with my music server and amp. As to the sound I need to add a little context. In the last month or two I have replaced my former integrated amp with a Wells Audio Majestic and also replaced my power conditioner with the Wells Audio Looking Glass, both fantastic products, to go along with my Antipodes DX music server, Salk SS8 speakers and Dana Cables. Both the amp and power conditioner added an amazing amount of musicality and clarity to my system, and the Atlantic has definitely added more of the same, such that one could apply to the system as a whole Lukasz' statement regarding the DAC's 4P1L tubes, i.e. it is "fabulously musical" . Ask me how much of that musicality the Atlantic is adding to the mix and I would be hard pressed to tell you because there are so many new pieces and I have no way to AB them all.  Also, I don't know exactly how to define musicality other than to say the music is sweet and rich to my ears, with great imaging, depth and detail. If you need more specific, technical analysis than that I will have to defer to those who have those abilities, not my strong suit :).

vtvu

• Industry Participant
Re: Initial thoughts re Atlantic DAC
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2016, 02:44 am »
I second Greg's sentiments.  See my post on the other Atlantic DAC thread.  Interestingly, his system is very similar to mine.
We must have the same taste  :D
Vinh

DGCURTIS36

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2016, 02:31 pm »
What can I say Vinh, "great minds think alike"  :lol:  Actually there was one great mind at work there and it wasn't mine  :duh:  I did find it ironic how close in time our posts were made, especially given the similarities in much of our equipment and ultimate conclusions regarding the Atlantic's SQ.

vtvu

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2016, 04:53 pm »
Greg:
Yeah I was writing my post responding to the other thread when I saw yours.  I bet both of us were listening to our systems, me at way past my bedtime, when we felt compelled to post our impressions.
One of my audiophile friends came by this morning to audition my system and he said "don't change a thing!".  He said my system sounded better than ever.
Glad you are enjoying the Dana Power Force power cord, it is a great match for the Wells Looking Glass.
It is too hot here for golf so I am inside enjoying my system.
I bet you it is hot too in AZ.
Enjoy.
Vinh

DGCURTIS36

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2016, 06:04 pm »
Yeah, hot as in 107 for a high today! The Power Force is obviously doing its job given the way my system sounds :).  Great to hear the affirmation of your conclusions from your friend I am sure.
G

Gopher

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2016, 08:46 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys....    Wow 107...     It was 93 yesterday and that was too hot for the stereo (at least the reference rig which isn't air conditioned).    At those temps I'd be exploring the Atlantic dac with headphones in a cold tub! :lol: