To the extent that I'm able to discuss issues with the MicroRendu on the board without overtly hassling them in public, I'll reiterate that my experience with this product is deteriorating. Their customer service is excellent, but there's just something persistently wrong with my system and it's begun to be such a hassle that I'm looking for another solution.
First, it was overheating with the iPower, at least that's to which I attributed its spotty behavior.
Then, the USB input on the LIO DAC died with no explanation which of course Vinnie fixed immediately (not his fault and again not trying to subvert a guy who's in the hospital with his wife and newborn!
He checked my MR and said it was working fine, which it is albeit intermittently.
This is what I have to do to get mine to work.
1) Fire up the LIO and cycle through sources
2) Power up the MR (Yes I have to unplug it and plug it back in)
3) Check my home network to see if the MR is attached
4) Go to Airport Utility to make sure my home network is complete
5) Go to the sonicorbiter app and (in this order) go to DAC diagnostics to make sure the LIO DAC is showing up, then restart Roon Ready, then run RoonReady Diagnostics.
6) Quit and restart Roon to get the program to recognize the MR as an endpoint
7) press play
8 ) wait for the signal to not show up but the file plays
9) cycle through the LIO sources from digital to analog a few times, wait ten to fifteen seconds on each source
10) around the the third time, the signal comes through the speakers.
As you can imagine, I'm really tired of this hassle, and in the time it's taken me to troubleshoot this whole thing (maybe on and off for six months since I bought the MR) I've taught myself Linux and built two Raspberry Pi streamers that work great on the wifi network and automatically show up under Roon. Admittedly it took me like 20h to build the first one and maybe three or four to do the second one, buying a Raspberry Pi 3 with Hifiberry digi+ top board, installing Raspbian and RoonBridge, but now that they're up they work seamlessly. I won't comment on the sound because apparently I cannot tell the difference between the wifi Rpi3 and the ethernet hard-wired microrendu (That's for another day.)
Again, not trying to throw Sonore under the bus, and 110% supporting Vinnie's amazing product, dedication, and the best customer service I've experienced in my 40 years on this planet.
That said, has anyone else had this degree of challenge with the microrendu?
Thanks in advance