Soekris dam1021 R2R DAC - $300

matt_garman

Soekris dam1021 R2R DAC - $300
« on: 18 Apr 2016, 08:00 pm »
Several months ago, I posted about the tda1387x8 NOS DAC.  If you're willing to do a few simple mods, I still think this is a "diamond in the rough", as your all-in cost should be around $150 or so, but the performance is dramatically better than the price might suggest.  That in mind, there are a few limitations of the tda1387x8: higher resolution formats simply won't work.  I think you can go a bit above CD 16/44; I forget the cutoff, but certainly modern super-high sample rate / wide bit rate stuff won't work.  Also there's no volume control.  (The volume control certainly doesn't have to be in the DAC, but that's where I personally want it.)

Enter the Soekris dam1021.  This is, fundamentally, an R2R DAC board.  But it also has, on-board, an FPGA which performs inbound signal re-clocking, and also user-modifiable digital filters (run it in NOS mode, or choose from the dozens of community-developed filters, or write your own).  It supports I2S or SPDIF input, and even DSD.  Output is single-ended, or balanced (stock balanced uses opamps; advanced users can parallel two boards and get "native" balanced output).

Some DIY is required.  However, in my opinion, one of the best features of this DAC is its flexibility.  You can build a very minimal system with only cursory DIY knowledge (experience hacking on the tpa311x boards is sufficient); or you can go nuts with a level of fanciness limited only by your imagination.

Here's the absolute bare essentials for a minimal/simple build.  The prices I list include shipping to the USA (and are from memory, might be off by a buck or two).  Besides the board, you really only need two things: power and input.
  • Actual Soekris dam1021 board: $280 for the 2% version, or $210 for the 5% version.
  • Power supply: Antek AN-0107 Transformer: $18
  • Input: various ebay options: $20

Total is $318 or $248 depending on which board you get.  It comes with XLR connectors.  I'm assuming you already have wire and RCA connectors on-hand, and can recycle an enclosure.

The optional volume control requires only a basic 10k linear potentiometer, which is $5 for a cheap one or $15 for an overkill pot.  Or you can do volume control through the serial port, in which case you might need to spend another $10 or $15 on a serial (or serial-to-USB) cable.  But you don't need to do volume control on this device, you can still do it in another device.

Most of the builds I've seen on diyAudio are slightly fancier.  At a minimum I'd get a decent input device.  The DIYINHK XMOS USB-to-I2S is $66 shipped to USA, and is pretty popular.  Even with that, you're still under C&C price guidelines.

FWIW: I used an Amanero USB-to-I2S device, which IIRC was about $100.  I bought a nice R-core transformer from eBay for about $30, and a DIYINHK +/-12V super-regulated power supply for $60.  Ignoring the case, my all-in cost is pushing $500, which is over C&C guidelines, but I'm really not that far from the super-simple build described above.  And where else are you going to find a true R2R DAC for anywhere close to this price?

Given the flexibility of the device, you can start cheap and go from there.

There are several great links that serve as both a good introduction and fairly detailed user manual:So, after all that, how does it sound?  I have no complaints!  I haven't yet had a chance to compare it to the tda1387x8 directly.  But from my "aural memory", they are in the same league.  Also, to be fair, I never did the "next-gen" mods on the tda1387, so I probably left some improvement on the table... someday I might still go back and give those a try.  But I'm also enjoying the dam1021 quite a bit, and am already wanting to do a second "advanced" build using two boards for native balanced output (and also integrate a Raspberry Pi into it, to make a fully-featured music server).

No affiliation with Soekris.  Just trying to throw some non-standard DAC ideas out there for the C&C community!

Odal3

Re: Soekris dam1021 R2R DAC - $300
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2016, 02:55 am »
I have been looking forward to your write up on the Soekris. Thanks for all the good info!!

Which revision version did you use?

matt_garman

« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2016, 03:27 pm »
Which revision version did you use?

I used the 2% version, revision 3 (current latest revision).

wushuliu

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2016, 07:02 pm »
You need to get a Singxer F-1 or even X-1 USB/I2s for the Soekris Matt. It'll stomp that Amanero.

matt_garman

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2016, 07:40 pm »
You need to get a Singxer F-1 or even X-1 USB/I2s for the Soekris Matt. It'll stomp that Amanero.

Maybe.  :)  The design of the Soekris board is such that fancy I2S/SPDIF front-ends "shouldn't" matter.  I2S input is electrically isolated; optical TOSLINK is implicitly isolated, and the SPDIF implementation calls for an isolation transformer.  All input data is then buffered and re-clocked.  Assuming Soekris did all this correctly, then the input need only be "competent", as the signal is effectively normalized.  In other words, same signal, whether I2S or SPDIF, or whether from Amanero, XMOS, or Singxer F-1, should all end up the same before hitting the R2R ladder.

Now, that's all predicated on a number of ifs, and there are plenty of cases where what people hear disagrees with the theory.  So I won't go so far as to say it's impossible for a better USB front-end to improve the DAC, but I'm not (yet  8)) ready to gamble $200 on it.

Can't remember if I mentioned it, but I already bought (and received) my 2nd Soekris board, so that's the next upgrade: conversion to balanced dual-mono.  Just waiting on a few small parts to actually complete this.

But now you've piqued my interest, does that Singxer F-1 work from USB power, or does it require its own dedicated power source?  I'm trying to keep all this in a relatively small case, and with the Amanero using USB power, I can avoid an additional 3.3v supply in the case (for which there is no room).  (Although there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that giving the Amanero its own power source is a step-up from USB power, even with the Soekris DAM1021.)

I guess I'm going to wait a bit, as that new XMOS chip is, well, new.  So the question is, is the magic in the chip itself, or the implementation?  DIYINHK make an XMOS XU208 USB-I2S board, and it's half the price of the Singxer.  My impression is that DIYINHK tend to just make reference designs.  The DIYINHK board does require external 3.3v power.  And I vaguely recall reading somewhere that a new WaveIO was in the works, but don't quote me on that, I could have dreamed it.  :)

I guess my point is, I'm interested, but taking a "wait and see" approach.  New tech always seems to have a "release curve" where the earliest stuff is expensive and not yet always fully baked.  After some time passes it seems to level off a bit, where the tech itself has matured, and more players have entered the market bringing the price down.

wushuliu

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2016, 09:04 pm »
Good points all. I'll demur from the question of ifs regarding i2s input sensitivity and detactability. I do remember one of the tirnahifi guys doing heavy modding for the soekris thought the new xmos based conveter better than amanero.

The f1 and presumably the cheaper x1 does not need external power for i2s.