Sonore microRendu - Ethernet to USB output

vortecjr

• Facilitator
  • the sound has to be in concert with the music....
    • Sonore by Simple Design
Re: Sonore microRendu - Ethernet to USB output
« Reply #60 on: 13 May 2016, 10:54 pm »
Thanks!

wilsynet

« Reply #61 on: 21 May 2016, 08:10 pm »
I just placed an order on the web site for a microRendu.  The site says pre-order with delivery in June, but I also see that people have them in hand so units already started shipping.

Did you run out of the first batch and are making more for delivery in June, or is the web site out of date and you're delivering now?

Thanks!

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #62 on: 21 May 2016, 09:44 pm »
The first run sold out and this is a second run.

Syrah

« Reply #63 on: 22 May 2016, 03:05 am »
Forgive me for being so computer dense in advance.

I have a CAPS running JRiver with a Chord QuteEX.

I have now tried to introduce the Microrendu.

So far I,

1. powered up the Microrendu;
2. plugged the USB to my Chord;
3. plugged the Ethernet connection to my router;
4. chose DLNA app, restarted; and,
5. DLNA in settings, USB output, restart again for good measure.

So, now I go into my JRiver, hit play.  Nothing.  Is there something I need to change in JRiver or the computer to now tell it to play to a network player?

Thanks.

Syrah

« Reply #64 on: 22 May 2016, 07:06 am »
Also, when I go to Custom DAC nothing shows up in the "Audio device list" and it says, "Error in alsa-capabilities (vo.9.1): aplay did not find any soundcard."

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #65 on: 22 May 2016, 11:36 am »
1. Turn off the DAC and the microRendu
2. Turn on the DAC and then microRendu
3. Go to the GUI and confirm the DAC is found in DAC Diagnostics
4. Put the unit in MPD/DLNA output mode
5. Start JRiver and conform thesis settings
Rendu JRiver setup with DoP: http://rendu.sonore.us/Sonore-JRiver-Setup.png
Rendu JRiver setup with DSD2PCM conversion: http://rendu.sonore.us/Sonore-JRiver-Setup-DSD2PCM-176.png
6. Double click on the microRendu from JRiver from the list under Playing Now
7. Select a title to play

Syrah

« Reply #66 on: 22 May 2016, 02:09 pm »
Thanks for getting back to me.  The DAC is not found in DAC Diagnostics.  It is on an plugged in.

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #67 on: 22 May 2016, 04:23 pm »
Thanks for getting back to me.  The DAC is not found in DAC Diagnostics.  It is on an plugged in.

If you followed the steps above try to play music to it just the same.

Syrah

« Reply #68 on: 24 May 2016, 01:55 am »
Still nothing.  In addition to DAC diagnostics not finding the DAC, the microRendu is not showing up in Playing Now.

Thanks,
Fraser

vortecjr

• Facilitator
« Reply #69 on: 24 May 2016, 11:43 am »
Still nothing.  In addition to DAC diagnostics not finding the DAC, the microRendu is not showing up in Playing Now.

Thanks,
Fraser
Email me at sonorejr@gmail.com so we can have a closer look.

poseidonsvoice

• Vector - I've got Direction & Magnitude! Oh Yeah!
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #70 on: 28 May 2016, 03:40 pm »
Just sold my Aries and joined the SonicTransporter and microRendu club  :thumb:

Won't be here until late June I suspect...I'll report back then.

Best,
Anand.

ebag4

« Reply #71 on: 28 May 2016, 05:02 pm »
Just sold my Aries and joined the SonicTransporter and microRendu club  :thumb:

Won't be here until late June I suspect...I'll report back then.

Best,
Anand.
Anand, does this mean you heard the microRendu at some point?  If so,what did you feel were the improvements as compared to your Aries?  What will you be running on the sonic transporter, HQP, Roon??

I am running minimserver on my Nas with an Aries feeding my Vega, I won't be able to hear the microRendu  before ordering, so I am trying to get a feel from those who have heard it what improvements over the Aries they are hearing.  I realize this can be difficult to quantify.

Best,
Ed

jtwrace

« Reply #72 on: 28 May 2016, 05:15 pm »
Anand, does this mean you heard the microRendu at some point?  If so,what did you feel were the improvements as compared to your Aries?  What will you be running on the sonic transporter, HQP, Roon??

I am running minimserver on my Nas with an Aries feeding my Vega, I won't be able to hear the microRendu  before ordering, so I am trying to get a feel from those who have heard it what improvements over the Aries they are hearing.  I realize this can be difficult to quantify.

Best,
Ed
If you can wait until end of June I can send it to you to try. 

ebag4

« Reply #73 on: 28 May 2016, 05:21 pm »
If you can wait until end of June I can send it to you to try.
Thanks Jason, I'm probably just going to order one and give it a try, just trying to convince myself there is a reason to believe it will be an improvment. With most of these configurations requiring software being run on a separate computer, I'm kicking myself for selling a very good sounding DC powered Mac mini after buying the Aries.

Best,
Ed

zybar

« Reply #74 on: 28 May 2016, 05:36 pm »
Thanks Jason, I'm probably just going to order one and give it a try, just trying to convince myself there is a reason to believe it will be an improvment. With most of these configurations requiring software being run on a separate computer, I'm kicking myself for selling a very good sounding DC powered Mac mini after buying the Aries.

Best,
Ed

Ed,

I could let you borrow mine next week.

I know what it sounds like and I will be getting in a pair of Spatial M3's that need to be broken in anyway.

Once you hear it, you will be buying one!

Shoot me a PM.

George

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #75 on: 28 May 2016, 06:23 pm »

Best,
Ed

Ed,

To be honest, I trust jtwrace, TomS, zybar, etc... Jtwrace and I listen to very similar recordings and have similar setups. We do have differences in our approach, but they are similar nonetheless.

One of my bigger problems is WIFI interference. Since my equipment room is a separate room from my audio room and the router I have is completely outside of both these rooms, I experienced significant dropout with the Aries. I could've solved this problem with multiple Eeros to be honest, and I may need to do that in the future anyway for other non-audio reasons.  The Aries wasn't the problem and it is an excellent unit from a sonic standpoint. However, I only used the USB output. I was never an AES or optical kind of guy. So when the microRendu came out, it gave me reason to pause. An additional problem was that you just couldn't 'install' Roon into an Aries. You needed a separate computer or very powerful NAS. Our family computer is a Mac that is hogged by everybody, so that was a no go. My NAS is a simple QNAP model, and cannot handle the processing power of Roon. I was also getting tired of the numerous updates from Lightning DS...ugh! Decisions, decisions!

I expect that the sonic qualities will be similar and if there is an improvement, then great  :thumb: The microRendu simplifies my setup somewhat  :oops: . The sonicTransporter is also upgradeable, and if I don't like Roon, no big deal, I could use some other playback software (JRiver, HQplayer, etc...).

The ideal situation would be a microRendu built into a Vega built into a LIO, etc...and you can throw democracy out the window at the same time! Too many eggs in one basket so to speak. At some point, we need balance and the freedom of choice.

I'll tell you what the real problem is. You need to be careful about how much you invest in digital audio as the improvements are happening quickly and dramatically on a yearly basis. You don't want to lose your investment too soon and/or live in obsolescence. And if you DIY in digital audio, you will lose badly in the resale market. For me personally, DIY is meant for speakers, room treatments/design, amps and preamps/phonostages. But not for digital anymore.

Sorry about the rambling but those are my thoughts my friend  8)

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2016, 01:24 pm by poseidonsvoice »

ebag4

« Reply #76 on: 29 May 2016, 03:13 pm »
Ed,

I could let you borrow mine next week.

I know what it sounds like and I will be getting in a pair of Spatial M3's that need to be broken in anyway.

Once you hear it, you will be buying one!

Shoot me a PM.

George
Thanks for the offer George, much appreciated. :thumb:

Ed,

To be honest, I trust jtwrace, TomS, zybar, etc... Jtwrace and I listen to very similar recordings and have similar setups. We do have differences in our approach, but they are similar nonetheless.

One of my bigger problems is WIFI interference. Since my equipment room is a separate room from my audio room and the router I have is completely outside of both these rooms, I experienced significant dropout with the Aries. I could've solved this problem with multiple Eeros to be honest, and I may need to do that in the future anyway for other non-audio reasons.  The Aries wasn't the problem and it is an excellent unit from a sonic standpoint. However, I only used the USB output. I was never an AES or optical kind of guy. So when the microRendu came out, it gave me reason to pause. An additional problem was that you just couldn't 'install' Roon into an Aries. You needed a separate computer or very powerful NAS. Our family computer is a Mac that is hogged by everybody, so that was a no go. My NAS is a simple QNAP model, and cannot handle the processing power of Roon. I was also getting tired of the numerous updates from Lightning DS...ugh! Decisions, decisions!

I expect that the sonic qualities will be similar and if there is an improvement, then great  :thumb: The microRendu simplifies my setup somewhat  :oops: . The sonicTransporter is also upgradeable, and if I don't like Roon, no big deal, I could use some other playback software (JRiver, HQplayer, etc...).

The ideal situation would be a microRendu built into a Vega built into a LIO, etc...and you can throw democracy out the window at the same time! Too many eggs in one basket so to speak. At some point, we need balance and the freedom of choice.

I'll tell you what the real problem is. You need to be careful about how much you invest in digital audio as the improvements are happening quickly and dramatically on a yearly basis. You don't want to lose your investment too soon and/or live in obsolescence. And if you DIY in digital audio, you will lose badly in the resale market. For me personally, DIY is meant for speakers, room treatments/design, amps and preamps/phonostages. But not for digital anymore.

Sorry about the rambling but those are my thoughts my friend  8)

Best,
Anand.

Thanks Anand, I appreciate the rambling :lol:.  I am going to order ordered one with the iFi PS.  Has anyone tried a battery supply?

Best,
Ed

« Last Edit: 29 May 2016, 08:31 pm by ebag4 »

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #77 on: 29 May 2016, 11:19 pm »
Mine will be powered by the UpTone Audio JS-2.

Best,
Anand.

plakey

« Reply #78 on: 31 May 2016, 08:42 pm »
Ho do I listen to TIDAL with this? Thank you! I need to replace my Squeezebox Touch.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #79 on: 31 May 2016, 08:57 pm »
Ho do I listen to TIDAL with this? Thank you! I need to replace my Squeezebox Touch.

I just picked one of these up and the Roon app with Tidal is pretty damn good.