BDP pi

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BDP pi
« Reply #180 on: 12 May 2016, 12:33 pm »
Another interesting technical aspect to notice about the PI
Back feeding to the Pi unit from the powered USB hub: http://elinux.org/RPi_Powered_USB_Hubs

Chris, is this of interest also for the BDP1/2?

Thanks,
Marius

I can't recall either the BDP-1 or 2 experiencing that issue, but the BDP-1 can be powered from one of its USB ports.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #181 on: 12 May 2016, 12:34 pm »
Sure i will too. But would the amperage be alright. 2,5 instead of 4 ?

It would be cutting it close

Marius

« Reply #182 on: 12 May 2016, 12:41 pm »
It would be cutting it close
thats what i feared. suppose its not worth the risk then, as the extra power was just what was needed in my situation.

Thanks Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #183 on: 12 May 2016, 05:33 pm »
thats what i feared. suppose its not worth the risk then, as the extra power was just what was needed in my situation.

Thanks Chris

https://www.amazon.ca/RioRand-Dual-USB-Charging-Digital-Voltmeter/dp/B00JCIMRW0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1463074214&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+current+meter

we use a usb meter for checking current draw, not this exact model.  If you get one you can see what each device draws, you'll want to see what the max current draw is at any given time and the average.  The sum of max draw across all devices should be the same or less then the supplies rated current and the average should be no more 90% of the supplies rating, in this case 2.25Amps.  Chances are the maximum power draw will occur when the device is initially plugged in.

Marius

« Reply #184 on: 12 May 2016, 05:36 pm »
cool!
i love those little tools.
Thanks,.
Marius
https://www.amazon.ca/RioRand-Dual-USB-Charging-Digital-Voltmeter/dp/B00JCIMRW0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1463074214&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+current+meter

we use a usb meter for checking current draw, not this exact model.  If you get one you can see what each device draws, you'll want to see what the max current draw is at any given time and the average.  The sum of max draw across all devices should be the same or less then the supplies rated current and the average should be no more 90% of the supplies rating, in this case 2.25Amps.  Chances are the maximum power draw will occur when the device is initially plugged in.

25x

« Reply #185 on: 12 May 2016, 09:45 pm »
Any new pictures or informations for the BDP Pi?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #186 on: 13 May 2016, 12:47 am »

these are photos of first run units, minor changes will be made to units that ship to customers

this is a video demonstrating button operation

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eo1ezrrsiy2yv4t/2016-04-29%2011.27.07.mov?dl=0

« Last Edit: 13 May 2016, 03:00 am by unincognito »

Krutsch

« Reply #187 on: 13 May 2016, 08:09 am »
Very cool!

Marius

« Reply #188 on: 13 May 2016, 08:13 am »

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #189 on: 13 May 2016, 02:41 pm »

25x

« Reply #190 on: 14 May 2016, 07:54 am »
Thanks for pictures!
Really nice and tempting.  :)

What makes me wonder since the first picture of the mainboard, there are three rows of solder pads below the Hifiberry/Bryston logos. Is this connectors for optional stuff or something?

25x

« Reply #191 on: 14 May 2016, 07:56 am »
Dropbox videos are not workig for me. What is needed for watching them?

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #192 on: 14 May 2016, 11:33 am »
IwantoneIwantoneIwantoneIwan---

Oh! Uhm... :green:

What is the 16Gb micro SD card for? Does that hold the software?
Also, can RAM be added to make it quicker? Or to make the library larger?
Can the display be turned off? Or dimmed? Or auto turned off after a few seconds?
Can I suggest a small change; make the volume meters outlines. The bouncing blocks seem really bright. Outlines look cooler too...
What is the hole underneath the B for?

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #193 on: 14 May 2016, 11:46 am »
Dropbox videos are not workig for me. What is needed for watching them?
You neet Apple Quicktime to be able to watch them.
https://support.apple.com/downloads/quicktime
Be careful with installing, make sure you read every option and turn everything you don't want off before you click next.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #194 on: 14 May 2016, 02:47 pm »
What unit actually makes the sound we here that comes from the speakers, is it the Pi or Dac unit?  Does the Pi make a signature sound then the dac converts that information or does the Dac make its own signature sound from the digital 1-0's it receives from the Pi.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #195 on: 14 May 2016, 05:45 pm »
Thanks for pictures!
Really nice and tempting.  :)

What makes me wonder since the first picture of the mainboard, there are three rows of solder pads below the Hifiberry/Bryston logos. Is this connectors for optional stuff or something?

IO to try and keep the board flexible

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #196 on: 14 May 2016, 05:53 pm »
IwantoneIwantoneIwantoneIwan---

Oh! Uhm... :green:

What is the 16Gb micro SD card for? Does that hold the software?
Also, can RAM be added to make it quicker? Or to make the library larger?
Can the display be turned off? Or dimmed? Or auto turned off after a few seconds?
Can I suggest a small change; make the volume meters outlines. The bouncing blocks seem really bright. Outlines look cooler too...
What is the hole underneath the B for?

Firmware and user settings, production units will ship with industrial Apacer 8GB module.
No memory upgrades are available, if your collection is much larger then 60,000 or is likely to outgrow this I would recommend buying a BDP-2.
The display can be setup to only turn on while navigating menu's and startup.
We will likely make multiple vu meter options available, I hadn't thought of the outlined boxes.
IR receiver, currently works with the br2 and apple remote; additional remote profiles can be added with firmware updates.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #197 on: 14 May 2016, 06:00 pm »
What unit actually makes the sound we here that comes from the speakers, is it the Pi or Dac unit?  Does the Pi make a signature sound then the dac converts that information or does the Dac make its own signature sound from the digital 1-0's it receives from the Pi.

I'd say the Dac has the most influence, but the player still influences what you hear.

25x

« Reply #198 on: 16 Jun 2016, 09:15 pm »
No updates since 4 weeks. Any news?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #199 on: 17 Jun 2016, 01:01 am »
The new phono's bumped production of the BDP-Pi back, everything's ready we are just waiting for production to start building them.

Cheers
Chris