Bryston announcing new SST3 amps

dumanski

Re: Bryston announcing new SST3 amps
« Reply #820 on: 11 Dec 2016, 06:18 pm »
7B cubed sleeping ? is there a plan for 7b cubed review noticed multiple reviews on 4b , 14b ect. not sure why.

The final tweeks to 7b square was great would like to see some on new 7b cube

I do have pair 7b cubed they seem bass shy VS 7b square (sold) hard to compare

The mids and highs seem very good.

Thanks Shayne

Simm

« Reply #821 on: 15 Dec 2016, 01:12 am »
Here is a link to the Audio Activity Review of the 28B3: http://www.audio-activity.com/bryston-28bsup3-en.html

acadie

« Reply #822 on: 17 Dec 2016, 05:10 pm »
Sent: Saturday, December 10, 2016 12:08 PM

HI James:

Nice review in the Absolute Sound magazine on the Bryston BP26 preamp and 14B Cubed amplifier – just got my copy today

It’s as nice as the magazine could publish given their predilection to love $100K + equipment, crazy cables and “accessories”

Again great review from AS, and a great Stereophile review on the BDA-3 DAC as well.

Quite a year for Bryston with new product introductions and favorable press all around (I don’t think there was one bad review all year.

Seems like a “pivotal year” in the history of the company

Best and Happy Holidays

John Ho

I read the review in TAS. I don't find the reviewer is doing a serious review.  I went from a pair of 7B-SST² to a Hegel H30 2 yrs ago.   And in September, after I have sold the H30 this past summer, I bought a pair of 7B Cube.

In his review, he is saying that the 7B are inferior to the H30.  Well, after going from the H30 (amp I used for 2 yrs)  to the new 7B Cube, I don't think the 7B is left in the dark by the H30, far from it. The high frequencies are way smoother with the Bryston. The strong point of the Hegel H30 is the midrange and maybe a deeper soundstage. I also find the 7B being more details (or better separation of instruments).

Lets put it this way, both amplifiers are great, just happen the 7B are about $5000 less than a stereo H30.

The reason I sold the H30, I had to go to mono bloc if I wanted to keep my speakers cables (Cardas Clear Beyond). I moved to a new house this summer and the listening room is wider.

I wish he would have use the Bryston linestage with the Gamut or the Ayre with the7B.

You need to compare apple with apple.  I just find the review is not at the same level than other reviews they do in that magazine. I see a reviewer with a bit of attitude, or call it a bit of audio snobbery from his part.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #823 on: 17 Dec 2016, 06:34 pm »
I read the review in TAS. I don't find the reviewer is doing a serious review.  I went from a pair of 7B-SST² to a Hegel H30 2 yrs ago.   And in September, after I have sold the H30 this past summer, I bought a pair of 7B Cube.

In his review, he is saying that the 7B are inferior to the H30.  Well, after going from the H30 (amp I used for 2 yrs)  to the new 7B Cube, I don't think the 7B is left in the dark by the H30, far from it. The high frequencies are way smoother with the Bryston. The strong point of the Hegel H30 is the midrange and maybe a deeper soundstage. I also find the 7B being more details (or better separation of instruments).

Lets put it this way, both amplifiers are great, just happen the 7B are about $5000 less than a stereo H30.

The reason I sold the H30, I had to go to mono bloc if I wanted to keep my speakers cables (Cardas Clear Beyond). I moved to a new house this summer and the listening room is wider.

I wish he would have use the Bryston linestage with the Gamut or the Ayre with the7B.

You need to compare apple with apple.  I just find the review is not at the same level than other reviews they do in that magazine. I see a reviewer with a bit of attitude, or call it a bit of audio snobbery from his part.

Hi

Yes we were discussing at Bryston how comparative reviews are sometimes problematic as most people will defend what they already own and most still equate price with performance. 

But I told my partners that I hope most customers recognize bias when they encounter it.

james

RonCH

« Reply #824 on: 18 Dec 2016, 01:31 pm »
Hi

Yes we were discussing at Bryston how comparative reviews are sometimes problematic as most people will defend what they already own and most still equate price with performance. 

But I told my partners that I hope most customers recognize bias when they encounter it.

james

Additionally personal preference has an influence on what you prefer.  I have personal experience here: I replaced my 7B SST amps with a Simaudio Moon W8.  The W8 is a very well reviewed amplifier and it's US pricing was about 20% more than than two 7BSSTs.  The Moon is an excellent amplifier and many people prefer it's sound over the Bryston's.  However I'm not one of them.  For me Bryston 7B SST sounds a lot better ( than the W8).  I really think that before you buy you need to put aside quite a lot of time and listen to both Amps together.  I did this, but the shop environment wan't great, and I didn't spend enough time, so the comparison was very difficult.  Trying new equipment at home is a fantastic idea if you can do it.  In the end reviews and awards are only part of the picture.  You really need to go and listen to the amplifier. 

XMAN

« Reply #825 on: 18 Dec 2016, 05:25 pm »
The other factor is what happens when things go south and you need to send it back.  If in Canada it could cost a fortune to send an amp to the US for service so that can also tilt your decision to Bryston.  Also since the warranty exceeds any other amplifier manufacture i can think of and the fact i bought my 4b st new in 1994 and never had to remove a cover sealed the deal for my new 4B cubed coming =-)).   Further I have a BP 20 I also bought at the same time with zero problems however i may do a cap replace/upgrade on that still in research mode on that.  I saw the inside of that amp for the first time in 23 years and i might add I didn't have to it works perfectly!   Cheers Bryston,  you make fantastic gear!       

adol290

« Reply #826 on: 19 Dec 2016, 02:34 pm »
James,

To change the LED color on a cubed 7B, from green to blue.

There is a jumper on the inside front to do that, correct.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #827 on: 19 Dec 2016, 03:08 pm »
James,

To change the LED color on a cubed 7B, from green to blue.

There is a jumper on the inside front to do that, correct.

Hi

I think so but check with Mike.  mpickett@bryston.com

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #828 on: 21 Dec 2016, 03:49 pm »
Bryston 2.5B Cubed Review.

http://www.10audio.com/bryston_2.5b3.htm

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #829 on: 1 Jan 2017, 04:52 pm »
HI

Bryston 28B Cubed Amplifiers:

I received mine on the 28th and they've been running non-stop ever since. I had my Kef Reference 5's running off of a 4B3 for the last 5 months. I've now bridged that to run my center.

The 4B3 is a fantastic amp, but the 28B3s are in another league. The soundstage is so deep and wide, the level of detail is simply remarkable. 

phishphan

XMAN

« Reply #830 on: 8 Jan 2017, 07:14 pm »
I received my 4b cubed just before Chrismas (it replaced my 4b st) and all I can say is wow what a huge improvement.  One surprise was the bass I thought the 4b st did a nice job but the cube made my Theils come to life very nicely controlled.  Improvements in micro detail, resolution and the air around instruments is riveting!  One improvement I was expecting and was not disapointed was the top end I was toying with the idea of a speaker change because the Theils are very '"revealing" but the new amp has made them sound fantastic ! The Theils are demanding and my 4b st was quite easily clipped it seamed the speakers had control of the amp now it is the opposite. I need to be careful now because the clipping used to force me to turn it down.  Cheers Byston on yet another very well engineered product!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #831 on: 10 Jan 2017, 09:37 pm »
Hi Folks,

Our friends at Fidelity Online in Germany have written a lovely characterization of our new 4B³ for your perusal including some truly stunning pictures.

Hopefully it's enough for you to be inspired to hear one for yourself!

LINK: https://www.fidelity-magazin.de/2017/01/10/spotlight-bryston-4b-sst%C2%B3/

Raimo

« Reply #832 on: 12 Jan 2017, 10:10 pm »
James, is it possible to use the Qubed technology in preamps? If so are you planning to do that?
Best regards Raimo.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #833 on: 12 Jan 2017, 11:13 pm »
James, is it possible to use the Qubed technology in preamps? If so are you planning to do that?
Best regards Raimo.

Hi Raimo

We are looking at that option but so far no immediate plans.

James

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #834 on: 13 Jan 2017, 10:38 am »
Hi Raimo

We are looking at that option but so far no immediate plans.

James

sounds good. by the way, would it be ok to use the bp6 with the 14b3 amp?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #835 on: 13 Jan 2017, 11:25 am »

sounds good. by the way, would it be ok to use the bp6 with the 14b3 amp?

Sure - no issues there.

james

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #836 on: 14 Jan 2017, 01:16 am »
Sure - no issues there.

james

ok, sounds good.  8)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #837 on: 17 Jan 2017, 02:07 pm »
HI Folks,

Another superb review from Germany on our new 4B Cubed amplifier - see attached PDF.

Again my thanks to Peter Ullman for the English translation.

james

PS: - Favourite Quote:

"All that said, is the Bryston 4B3 amplifier the best 4B amplifier of all times? 

Yes, it is that without a doubt according to my opinion! Above and beyond that it is one of the best power amplifiers that one can purchase for love or money. 

The next 40 years can arrive!"

Email me if you want the PDF - jamestanner@bryston.com

Raimo

« Reply #838 on: 19 Jan 2017, 10:28 am »
OK found this:

Bryston Cubed Differences

I can explain the differences and the thinking behind the 3 or Cubed Series amps, but it's a bit complex and long-winded, sorry:‎

A few years ago, we had a review in a Swedish magazine that pronounced the 14B SST2 to be 'perfect'. That was not based on 'he liked it'; it had nothing to do with auditory preference, it had to do with transparency. The reviewer had and still has a setup where he can literally 'bypass' an amplifier to drop it out of the signal path, (dummy speaker load, gain-reduction L-pad, leading to a second amplifier to the speakers). The 14B SST2 turned out to be impossible to detect in the signal path, on any signal they tried, from simple guitar music to full orchestra ffff, to an electronic metronome with instant rise time and no overshoot. And it was the first audio device in his history to do so.

That does not mean the amplifier is actually 'perfect', of course. It just means that it is not contributing, (or subtracting), anything the ear can detect, to or from the signal path in an otherwise exemplary system.

From that result and many others of our own, we concluded that static distortion measurements do not tell the whole story. It would seem that if static THD and IMD are low enough, 0.001% or -100dB, they cease to be relevant factors in the transparency of the device. ‎More important are time smear, deviations in frequency-response, dynamic distortions, noise within the device or from RF interference, etc.

Thus we did not introduce our new 'Salomie' input stage (which we received a patent on) simply to reduce static distortion. Our newest 'Cubed Series' amplifiers do have lower THD and IMD than the 'Squared Series' that preceded them, but not significantly so. They measure out at about 0.001% or a bit below, over almost the entire frequency band. However, and we consider this to be most important, they are quieter and more musically accurate in a number of ways; First, the 20-20K noise is reduced, but the new input stage has far better PSRR, or power-supply rejection ratio. This means hash on the power-supply is rejected, in this case by more than 140dB. The input stage also has much better CMRR, or common-mode rejection. That means it rejects noise coming in on the signal cable much more completely than before. These are dynamic issues that can show up in a real-world system completely apart from static THD and IMD.

In addition to the above, the new Cubed Series employs highly effective RF rejection in the power supplies, which traps and eliminates radio-frequency hash from either interfering with or emanating from the amplifier via the power cable or signal cables.

The audible improvements we realized with these approaches are rather subtle. They would have to be with amps that started out 'perfect' in at least one reviewer's description, but they show up from very low listening levels, almost whisper-quiet, where the silences are more inky-black than before. It's almost an unconscious realization. They amps also cope better with dirt and hash of all kinds on the power cord, from distorted 60Hz Voltage to RF. Thus the quiet middle-of-the-night listening is even more relaxing and emotionally accessible. The depth of the soundstage and the precision of instrument placement is closer to reality than ever before. ‎

Of course, that's what it really boils down to; recreating the original musical experience in your home. The 'you are there' feeling. It's what we have been pursuing from day one, and are still focused on. The Cubed Series is closer than ever. 

Hallo James, do you use this bypass listening before you approve a new amplifier design?
I am a customer to the "Swedish reviewer" he makes exellent loudspeakers in a wery small scale and he designs studios and home cinema rooms.
His review made me buy a 4Bsst 10 years ago and i am currently waiting for my new 4B3.
I use his speakers and built my room after his drawings.
The result is superb!
Best regards Raimo.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #839 on: 19 Jan 2017, 11:11 am »
Hi Raimo

Greetings! - glad you are enjoying your system!
Yes I try to use the bypass concept as well as double blind testing.
Please let me know what you think of the 4B Cubed when you get things setup.

james