Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Folsom

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
« Reply #60 on: 7 Jan 2016, 09:47 pm »

Do 13 year olds watch films that are 38 years old? Episode IV came out in 1977.
That would be like my parents taking me to a 1977 re-boot of the 1938 Academy Award winning film Robin Hood starring Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Basil Rathbone, and Claude Rains all reprising their original rolls.

Times have changed.

Are you kidding? Some films are timeless. Conan The Barbarian? Ya, timeless... So is "Run Silent, Run Deep" which predates me by a long shot. There are movies that just don't lose. The LOTR trilogy is probably going to remain good forever too. The hobbit will be forgotten if we're all lucky.

The biggest problems is kids assume it's old crap. But that old crap is still loved, and VERY few movies these days will hold any test of time.

My friend and I showed the original star wars (unfortunately with with horse shit digital sabotage) to his young girl friend who had never seen it, and she loved it. There's videos on the internet of kids that are about 5 years old watching the original Trilogy, and responding to the scene "Luke I am your father". They respond because they're invested in the film, it means something to them.

RDavidson

« Reply #61 on: 7 Jan 2016, 09:57 pm »
Yup. You'd be surprised how many kids and young adults there are who seek out fulfilling entertainment experiences.....which includes music and music playback as well. All roads lead back to the classics (both in movies and music).

Mike Nomad

« Reply #62 on: 7 Jan 2016, 11:02 pm »
Where did you read this?

I don't think this is accurate. As far as I know Rian Johnson wrote the script solo. George Lucas has nothing left to do with Star Wars.

I was spouting old information, based on IMDB entries that have since been updated. Yes, he is now shown with a sole writing credit for both, and that is very good news. My other fear to get over: Both his and Trevorrow's credits as Director seem quite light. At least Trevorrow has a turn in the Jurrasic Barrel.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #63 on: 7 Jan 2016, 11:09 pm »
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I saw it in 3D on Christmas Day and really enjoyed it. It was fun and good entertainment. What I don't understand is "They respond because they're invested in the film, it means something to them." To me, it is fantasy entertainment with some cool special effects, nothing more, nothing less.

Folsom

« Reply #64 on: 8 Jan 2016, 12:25 am »
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I saw it in 3D on Christmas Day and really enjoyed it. It was fun and good entertainment. What I don't understand is "They respond because they're invested in the film, it means something to them." To me, it is fantasy entertainment with some cool special effects, nothing more, nothing less.

I was referring to videos of kids responding to the scene "Luke I am your father" from The Empire Strikes Back. So your comment doesn't make sense. What I am saying is that kids really get into the original IV, V, and VI.

Your out of context quoting makes it appear as if I'm saying 5 year old got emotional during VII, because they've seen IV, V, and VI.

wushuliu

« Reply #65 on: 8 Jan 2016, 01:42 am »
I was spouting old information, based on IMDB entries that have since been updated. Yes, he is now shown with a sole writing credit for both, and that is very good news. My other fear to get over: Both his and Trevorrow's credits as Director seem quite light. At least Trevorrow has a turn in the Jurrasic Barrel.

Johnson's films are very, very good. Brick is an *excellent* indie film and Looper is a great sci-fi mind-bender. He has chops.

JoshK

« Reply #66 on: 9 Mar 2016, 03:41 pm »
Saw it a couple weekends back.   I am 40 years old (born in '75), so the original three were my childhood and I collected all the action figures.   Always thought Empire was the best one, Hope used to play on TV a lot, and I always stayed up late to watch it if my parents let me.  When I was a kid, I like the ewoks, not sure I'd like them now if they did something like that, but the Jar-Jar Binks character was so annoying as to ruin any hope of the first one being entertaining. 

I watched the first 3 episodes and can honestly say I don't even remember half of it, especially the 3rd one, so I was happy that they made something decent out of this new one.   I liked it and felt it fit the story-line pretty well even if it is a bit cliche at times. 

JohnR

« Reply #67 on: 19 Apr 2016, 04:19 pm »
OMG this is so... bad...!

Maybe it gets better after the first 15/20 minutes...

JohnR

« Reply #68 on: 19 Apr 2016, 04:32 pm »
OK, so the guy in the black helmet uses "the dark side of the force" to beat the crap out of his spaceship in a temper tantrum.

Minus 10 stars.

I give up.

Wayner

« Reply #69 on: 19 Apr 2016, 04:33 pm »
I bought the DVD and watched it on Sunday night. All I have to say is that it is one of the most horrible movies I have ever seen. The story line gets lost, scenes are cut up and where did they dig up Harrison Ford and Carie at? She looks plenty "puffy". On well. $16.99 and a bunch of time I will never get back.

Moral to the story, Hollywood does not have a creative bone in its collective body. Remakes of everything that has already been done. Ben Hur again?

Anyway, my 2 cents. My review is 2 thumbs (and toes) down.

Wayner

JohnR

« Reply #70 on: 20 Apr 2016, 01:03 pm »
I only paid $2 to rent it...

I consoled myself after my post yesterday with Mad Max, which despite its issues I could actually watch. Today, Ex Machina, but..  the billionarie/genius just doesn't work for me. Anyway! It's not like the sky is falling.

dB Cooper

« Reply #71 on: 20 Apr 2016, 01:42 pm »
I bought the DVD and watched it on Sunday night. All I have to say is that it is one of the most horrible movies I have ever seen. The story line gets lost, scenes are cut up and where did they dig up Harrison Ford and Carie at? She looks plenty "puffy". On well. $16.99 and a bunch of time I will never get back.

Moral to the story, Hollywood does not have a creative bone in its collective body. Remakes of everything that has already been done. Ben Hur again?

Wayner

Unfortunately, no amount of 'trickery' can hide the fact that Carrie Fisher isn't nineteen anymore, as she was in the original. Time has its way with us all. The only one who didn't lose their looks was Chewbacca  :lol: . It was OK to me except for being way too much like the original, plot-wise. I just saw it so I'd know what the f*** people were talking about.

In a few months, the next JJ Abrams' Star Wars "action flick" reboot will be out. Basically the same movie except with Kirk and Spock.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #72 on: 20 Apr 2016, 03:29 pm »

Wayner

I watched once and that's enough. :)

vinyl_lady

« Reply #73 on: 20 Apr 2016, 03:51 pm »
I really enjoyed it in 3D. I could care less about it being like the first one (#4). When I go to a movie, which is very, very rare, I want to be entertained and that is all. It was entertaining to me.

stlrman

« Reply #74 on: 27 Apr 2016, 01:45 pm »
The Blu-Ray looks very nice !!

Charles Calkins

« Reply #75 on: 27 Apr 2016, 05:57 pm »

Wayner

Wayner:

The worst movie I ever saw was Pulp Fiction. I'd rather watch Star wars again than Pulp Fiction.

Cheers
                                                         Charlie

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #76 on: 27 Apr 2016, 07:22 pm »
Got it on bluray for my daughter.  We'd also seen it in the theater (she loved it). I have to say, on my big rig HT system (120" projector/screen), it looked and sounded much, much better than in the theater.  The movie theater really sounded shitty and whatever projector they were using made the film look cheap and flat.

At home, the film had a much more organic look and way better depth.  And the sound effects (which were pretty important I discovered), had a lot more weight and subtlety.   

dflee

« Reply #77 on: 27 Apr 2016, 09:53 pm »
Tyson: :
That's cause you didn't set up the theater.
If you had, I'm sure it would have been a completely different story.
But then again, would the theater spend the money required to match
the quality you have at home?

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #78 on: 27 Apr 2016, 10:26 pm »
The blu ray quality of Force Awakens is on par with some of the best blu rays in the last several years that I've seen with Oblivion being the benchmark for me.

Are there any theaters around the country that put emphasis on high quality projection in offering a superb image? Seems more theaters are moving toward either better surround sound like Dolby Atmos or they want to serve you food while you sit in a big comfy chair. I'd rather pay a higher price for better image quality as well better audio. I would think 4K would be best suited for the big screen rather in home tv's....

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #79 on: 28 Apr 2016, 01:37 am »
I really like the comfy recliners.  Image quality is important, but sitting in luxurious comfort for an entire movie trumps it IMHO.  The AMC theater that I go to has decent image quality, nothing fantastic, but no major flaws, and beautiful, huge, electric recliners that I really can't do without these days.  And yes, Oblivion is a great bluray presentation.