Charney Audio Big Horn Maker

rodge827

Re: Charney Audio Big Horn Maker and DIY
« Reply #20 on: 31 Dec 2017, 11:17 pm »
Chris, great to hear you are enjoying them. What do you have in your system? I still can not believe what i heard out of these.Like you said no tricks or super expensive cables, sound treatment, tricks, or power conditioners. Incredible sound! Can not wait to get mine. In the mean time i am building up a dedicated listening room in my new to me house along with 300 other things. LOL

The Maestro uses the Omega RS7 full range driver in my 11x15x8 room.
My current set up is: PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport>Aural Thrills Active Silver Digital Cable>Digital Amplifier Company(DAC) HS Dac>DIY Jena Labs IC>CR Developments 300b Int.Amp>Jena Labs Speaker Cable>Maestro's. I have been auditioning a DAC Stereo Maraschino Int Amp for the last couple of weeks and like what it does with the RS7 driver.

Room treatments are at the first reflection points on side walls and rear wall behind my chair. Maestro's are 6.5'apart and 1' from front wall toed in for the sound to go past my ears over my shoulders. (You will want to toe the Companions to point at your nose)
Power conditioning is a Tripp Lite Double Conversion UPS modified with super quiet Nexus Fans. Power Cords are Aural Thrills Active.

Nice looking speakers. They use the floor/wall boundary to multiply the size of the mouth which is needed for bass. They conform to the smooth taper design philosophy which may mean excess midrange bleed-thru the horn, but the rear mouth will mitigate this.

The Concerto looks an awful lot like the DIY Dalek by Bob Hayes (lat e2006) with a Ron Clarke style diffusor.

dave

The Concerto is modeled after the Carfrae Big Horn.  They look alike but that is where the similarity ends.  The Concerto, Companion, and Maestro are designed to couple with the room for bass extension. The platform under the rear is there to help enhance bass and is necessary with carpet. 
When coupled properly the bass is clean and pure with no room node issues.  No need for a sub or extra bass enhancement, unless the room is too large, and like every other speaker bass augmentation could be necessary.  Charney's demo room is 14x19x9 which is about the size limit for Maestro and Companion. The Concerto can handle a larger room. Charney has done extensive R+D to get the chamber just right and believe me he has! Every time I make it over to Brian's I can't believe my ears.  Music is experienced and engaging not listened to.  Amazing 3D presentation with perfect tonal balance and 0, zip, nada, peaks or Lowther "shout".  That's with digital...vinyl is mesmerizing and completely immersive! Kinda like a 3D movie in a theater (Digital) and the same movie in IMAX (Analog).

If your looking for a great speaker, and live within a couple-a-three hours of Somerset NJ, or can fly into Newark (arrange with Brian to pick you up) it is well worth the trip.  Your ears will thank you!

Chris 

flat4

Re: Charney Audio Big Horn Maker
« Reply #21 on: 2 Jan 2018, 11:17 pm »

The Maestro uses the Omega RS7 full range driver in my 11x15x8 room.
My current set up is: PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport>Aural Thrills Active Silver Digital Cable>Digital Amplifier Company(DAC) HS Dac>DIY Jena Labs IC>CR Developments 300b Int.Amp>Jenabs Speaker Cable>Maestro's. I have been auditioning a DAC Stereo Maraschino Int Amp for the last couple of weeks and like what it does with the RS7 driver.

Room treatments are at the first reflection points on side walls and rear wall behind my chair. Maestro's are 6.5'apart and 1' from front wall toed in for the sound to go past my ears over my shoulders. (You will want to toe the Companions to point at your nose)
Power conditioning is a Tripp Lite Double Conversion UPS modified with super quiet Nexus Fans. Power Cords are Aural Thrills Active.

Sounds like a nice system. I will probably grab a tube amp down the road but just got a Benchmark media DAC3 HGC with the AHB2 amp. Picked up a Cambridge CXC transport. All cabling is from Benchmark also. I have to say the sound from my current cheap floor standers is surprising! There is zero noise from the Benchmark equipment and it is very clean and transparent. I think it os gonna be a nice match with the Companion.

rodge827

« Reply #22 on: 4 Jan 2018, 03:40 pm »
My neighbors sons are home on winter break and we spent about 5 hours listening yesterday. Both are musicians with a concentration in classical,and couldn’t get enough. They are 19 and 20 so we listened to a lot of great music recorded long before they were born. Landmark rock albums from the 60’s -80’s and jazz from the 40’s -current.

Awesome day!  :thumb:

flat4

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jan 2018, 04:19 pm »
My neighbors sons are home on winter break and we spent about 5 hours listening yesterday. Both are musicians with a concentration in classical,and couldn’t get enough. They are 19 and 20 so we listened to a lot of great music recorded long before they were born. Landmark rock albums from the 60’s -80’s and jazz from the 40’s -current.

Awesome day!  :thumb:

Spoiling them with the outstanding Charney sound at a young age. Good stuff!

Getting closer to having mine. Sold the Crowns. Thank you ohenry! Have an Outlaw pre/pro next on the chopping block next if anyones interested. Want my Charneys asap! LOL