New Directions at Modwright!!!

modwright

Re: New Directions at Modwright!!!
« Reply #20 on: 25 Feb 2016, 10:12 pm »
Hi, am still working out a design and pricing strategy for this.  We have also found that we can build 36W monos with (3)EL34's and a single 12AT7 per amp.  I will not be at CAF this year, but we MAY introduce a pair of tube monos (20-36W most likely), at Newport.

I am thinking that monoblocks in the 20W-36W range will be in the $10K-$15K/pr range (Not 845 designs).  I just need to know how much interest there is in this type of product at this price.

Thanks,

Dan

dodgealum

« Reply #21 on: 26 Feb 2016, 08:07 pm »
Thanks, Dan. I hope that some other folks will chime in here in support of this venture. I would be very interested in what you have described (36w with 3 EL34s) to drive my DA-1.1s. Please keep us in the loop as you work out the final details of both your tube amp projects.

modwright

« Reply #22 on: 3 Mar 2016, 11:01 pm »
We have the design worked out.  It is just a matter of demand.

Thanks,

Dan

beaglebump

« Reply #23 on: 3 Mar 2016, 11:23 pm »
I had the pleasure of auditioning Dan's Ambrose over the past month in my home audio system.  We have had several conversations as to a direction that might well suit the goals I'm seeking for improvement over our current Simaudio W5.  I can say that, although I've had the likes of Merrill Veritas, Pass XA 60.8, and Hegel H30 in over the past year, nothing has provided the midrange, imaging and staging that the Ambrose has.  Its synergy with my Daedalus Athena is particularly captivating.  It is also one of the most beautiful audio pieces I've seen - a true heirloom quality piece.  The collaborative effort that has gone into this design is truly impressive - the EL34 is a special output tube.  I look forward to the possibilities of a 36w monobloc version.   
« Last Edit: 4 Mar 2016, 02:15 am by beaglebump »

modwright

« Reply #24 on: 21 Apr 2016, 11:47 pm »
Plans for a 30W+ EL34 SE Mono Block design to be released at Newport!

I am posting here because interest was expressed in a higher power version of the Ambrose amp (10W).

We are putting this together as a pair of mono blocks:

Dimensions: 9"W x 17"L
Weight: < 50lb ea.
Tubes: (3)EL34's per channel + 1 driver tube.
Power: 30W+ per channel into 8 ohms.

The finish will be very similar to that of the Ambrose with black anodized top and bottom plates and front, back and sides from flamed maple.  Price is projected to be $12K-$15K/pr.

If you are interested, please let us know!  The show pair WILL be for sale and for a good price!

This is a production product, no longer just a concept piece.

Thanks,

Dan

dodgealum

« Reply #25 on: 26 Apr 2016, 12:19 pm »
Dan: This is GREAT news! Please post photos when you have them. What will you be pairing these with in Newport? Are you able to comment yet on how well these drive your Ulysses? Have you done any comparisons with the KWA150SE and your 845s?

modwright

« Reply #26 on: 26 Apr 2016, 02:29 pm »
I will sadly not be attending CAF this year.  I had to forego CAF and Munich this year.

The 30W monos will be making their debut at THE SHOW in Irvine in June.

I am quite excited about this!  I know how good the 10W Ambrose sounded with my Ulysses speakers and I have heard the 30W monos and they have the same magic, just A LOT more power and control!  The 30W design will open the door to MANY more speakers!

I will post photos and listening impressions as the show units are built.

I am also toying with the idea of designing the ultimate PP Integrated amp in the 50W range.  What is interest here? I have some ideas for a design will set it apart from the standard PP pentode amp sound...

Thanks,

Dan