$2000 Power amps to drive Maggies

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: $2000 Power amps to drive Maggies
« Reply #80 on: 10 Oct 2015, 04:15 am »
Tommy,

Now you're talking.  Plus up your own designs and don't belittle the competition you mentioned.  Good on you.
Easily available for a fella in Australia like Kyle?

Regarding Dodd amplifiers.  I haven't been paying much attention in other Circles, but what is the outlook on support and repair for those amplifiers at this point?  Will the schematics/spares/etc be made available so users can service them or have them serviced by qualified repair shops?

Dave.
Yes, we ship worldwide. Thanks.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #81 on: 10 Oct 2015, 04:18 am »
I'll second the Cherry products. While I have not heard the new Cherry maraschino I can say the original Cherry jr with Maggie's was awesome.  I think they still have that build in stock.

sfdoddsy

« Reply #82 on: 10 Oct 2015, 05:18 am »
I see that you have not answered my question.  What is your experience with amplifiers in the $2K price class, and what is your equipment?  Your answer to these questions bears directly on the validity of your opinion.  I tend to trust those who have actually heard equipment in revealing systems.  Guys like BigRedMachine, Art Smuck, Neo, the late Johnthechairguy, Dougs (now banned), etc.  There are also a couple of pros with whom I've formed friendships with.  I consult with them... Danny R and Dave E. 
I'm not interested in the whole "it' too expensive for what you get" arguments, as that varies by individual.  You say that amp A is great, I say it's not.  I want to know what your background is so I can better judge the quality of your opinion. 

I'll give you a good example.  When I was looking for an amp for the GR-Research/AV123 LS9 speakers, I sent pm's to the guys I know that had those or related speakers.  Based on their experience, I narrowed my list.  Then I sent pm's to guys that were using those amps or had had them in their systems for extended periods. 
What I didn't do was open a thread, where all you get is "my amp is best".

Davey's a little too modest to answer your question, so I will.

He has a lot more experience with amp-hungry planars like Maggies and Apogee than most, being a valued member of numerous forums for many years. He's designed his own amps and active crossovers (including mods for Maggies  I believe), and is currently responsible for the digital implementation of the Linkwitz LX521 crossovers.

And your good self?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #83 on: 10 Oct 2015, 05:33 am »
My system is described under Systems just under my avatar. 
I've expressed opinions on amps that I have had in my system only. 

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #84 on: 10 Oct 2015, 11:29 am »
It looks like we have:

Aaron
AVA
Bel Canto
Bryston
Crown
Digital Amp Co
Dodd
D Sonic
McCormack
McIntosh
Moscode
NCore
Odyssey
Outlaw Audio
Parasound
Pass
Red Dragon Audio
Threshold
Vincent
Wyred 4 Sound

And if the OP is still around, what did you end up doing?

josh358

« Reply #85 on: 10 Oct 2015, 12:41 pm »

And if the OP is still around, what did you end up doing?
Going to a quiet place and drinking hemlock? :-)

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #86 on: 10 Oct 2015, 12:57 pm »
Going to a quite place and drinking hemlock? :-)
:lol:

brooklyn

« Reply #87 on: 10 Oct 2015, 04:25 pm »
I happen to know the OP bought a Prima Luna Dialogue Integrated amp and
is quite happy with it. If he’s drinking anything it’s in front of his audio system..

Davey

« Reply #88 on: 10 Oct 2015, 04:43 pm »
The problem with this type of (OP) query is that a long laundry list of suitable devices soon emerges and it doesn't really help....ultimately.
Soon you have posturing, defensive posts, etc ,etc ensuing all based on subjective evaluation, and the thread devolves.
The answer to the original query is......there are many amps that would work well.  Simplistic, and not the answer most want to hear, but accurate.  It's just not black and white.

There are way too many entrenched ideas and opinions that are bandied about willy-nilly on forums like this.  Also, there is a lot of selling/shilling going on at AC.....people should keep that in mind as well.

I would like to see OP's report back on threads like this so they can inform everybody of their decision.  It's a courtesy thing.  However, I understand that he might be busy drinking in front of his audio system.  :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #89 on: 10 Oct 2015, 05:29 pm »
We're getting close to the edge folks.

Doc

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #90 on: 10 Oct 2015, 10:18 pm »
I agree, time to bring this one to a close.

MGbert

« Reply #91 on: 15 Oct 2015, 04:13 pm »
Concerning Crown XLS 2500 amps:

Thank you! These are now down to $299 and there are only 18 left -- 17 now, since I bought one. It should be a great amp for my Tympani woofers, with the A-21 on the mid/tweeter panels. I'm skeptical of the highs on most Class D amps, but they're great for bass. Still, I'm curious, so I'll try swapping it with the A-21 to see how it does.

They're so cheap I'm tempted to buy two and bridge them . . .

Well, they weren't so cheap when I bought mine, so I went with 2 XLS 1500 amps... and bridge them.  BWAHAHA... My system is currently torn apart as I've moved it into the house and an upcoming furniture arrival required the system moved from the center of the room so they're not tripped on.  But my take when I bought them is that grain wasn't any worse than the Apt-1 power amps I was previously using (also bridged).  The effortless power is really nice, though - my Gunned MMGs sing 10 dB louder than they did with the Apt-1's if I want them to - which is rarely.  That said, after I re-optimize the stereo placement, I'll re-experiment comparing the XLS-1500's to the Apt-1's and report back on sonic comparisons.  Now if anyone wants to lend me a Parasound A-21 for the team... ;-)

MGbert

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #92 on: 15 Oct 2015, 04:34 pm »
One last comment.  I have not read a thing in this thread about what preamps are being used.  I realize that the Crown amps are integrated but most of the other amps being mentioned need preamps which clearly makes a big difference when comparing amps.

josh358

« Reply #93 on: 15 Oct 2015, 04:38 pm »
Concerning Crown XLS 2500 amps:

Well, they weren't so cheap when I bought mine, so I went with 2 XLS 1500 amps... and bridge them.  BWAHAHA... My system is currently torn apart as I've moved it into the house and an upcoming furniture arrival required the system moved from the center of the room so they're not tripped on.  But my take when I bought them is that grain wasn't any worse than the Apt-1 power amps I was previously using (also bridged).  The effortless power is really nice, though - my Gunned MMGs sing 10 dB louder than they did with the Apt-1's if I want them to - which is rarely.  That said, after I re-optimize the stereo placement, I'll re-experiment comparing the XLS-1500's to the Apt-1's and report back on sonic comparisons.  Now if anyone wants to lend me a Parasound A-21 for the team... ;-)

MGbert
Amps have arrived and my speakers should be reassembled today (I pulled off the old socks to check the condition of the planar drivers), so I should be able to report back soon. Right now, I'm trying to come up with a quick external crossover solution so I can compare the amps on the woofer panels -- although I'll do a full-range comparison too. I could do the XO in the computer but I don't have a multichannel DAC so I'd have to use motherboard audio, and I'm not sure that's good enough for a valid comparison.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #94 on: 15 Oct 2015, 05:11 pm »
One last comment.  I have not read a thing in this thread about what preamps are being used.  I realize that the Crown amps are integrated but most of the other amps being mentioned need preamps which clearly makes a big difference when comparing amps.

The Crown XLS series are not integrated amps, they are basic amps with gain controls like most (all?) pro gear.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #95 on: 16 Oct 2015, 04:25 am »
The Crown XLS series are not integrated amps, they are basic amps with gain controls like most (all?) pro gear.

My error but you get my point.

kylevuong19

« Reply #96 on: 3 Nov 2015, 09:28 pm »
Hi guys,
I do apologize as I forgot to write a review to sum up the thread.
After reading your opinions I decided to go with a Primaluna tube preamp and a pair of Bel Canto Ref500M. On the day I went to a dealer to audition the setup, the owner asked me a few questions about my room size, speakers.. etc and he suggested a Primaluna Dialogue Integrated amp instead. He then gave me an audition with a pair of Elac FS247 and Martin Logan Ethos. I was convinced and finally ended up buying it.
Now I'm a happy camper with the Dialogue Integrated driving my Maggies with ease. I still need to work on cables and small upgrade but so far I can say I'm settle down with the core items (amp and speakers).
Thanks for all advice and opinions and happy listening!

mcgsxr

« Reply #97 on: 3 Nov 2015, 10:43 pm »
That is a very nice piece!

You either got a great deal, or you may have cheated a little on the $.

I always wonder what ~40wpc of tubes would sound like on my 1.6's - let us know how it goes.

Nicely done.

a.wayne

« Reply #98 on: 3 Nov 2015, 10:52 pm »
40 watts ...!  listening at 1M might work .....  :green:

kylevuong19

« Reply #99 on: 3 Nov 2015, 11:33 pm »
That is a very nice piece!

You either got a great deal, or you may have cheated a little on the $.

I always wonder what ~40wpc of tubes would sound like on my 1.6's - let us know how it goes.

Nicely done.
I also doubt it when reading its specs, so I'm thinking go with tube pre-ss power amp but when I audition it, it 100% convinced me. The auditioning room (around 6 x 8 metres) is bigger than my living room and it drives the Martin Logans easily. My listening room is 4 x 6 and listening position is 2.5m from the speakers.
40wpc tube amp is around 100wpc on solid state amp I think...

PS: I did get a very good deal on the amp though...