New Salk StreamPlayer web site

Ern Dog

Re: New Salk StreamPlayer web site
« Reply #40 on: 22 Nov 2015, 03:28 am »
Gapless playback works well on the steamer.

PSB Guy

« Reply #41 on: 22 Nov 2015, 05:11 am »
Gapless playback works well on the steamer.
Oh yeah, forgot to say that, oops  :oops:

Saturn94

« Reply #42 on: 22 Nov 2015, 01:58 pm »
That's good to hear.

I'm wanting something simpler to replace my current Windows based solution (SB Touch, Windows 10, LMS) for listening to my music collection.  The new Streamplayer is looking like a winner, albeit a bit pricer than I'd hoped.

phoward

« Reply #43 on: 17 Dec 2015, 06:14 am »
Let me start by saying I am absolutely delighted with the StreamPlayer.
Easy to set up, easy to use - even of a less than technical ex Mac Mini guy (yes the StreamPlayer DOES sound THAT MUCH BETTER)

Here's my question - I'm about halfway through putting my CD collection into FLAC format using dBPoweramp.  Just noticed that some of my Beatles CDs are stored as The Beatles, and some as Beatles, The.  Yes, I clearly wasn't paying that much attention while ripping. 

I used to be able to change metadata easily after ripping to iTunes, am stumped how to do it in this environment.  Is there a separate app that I need to acquire or do I just need to re-rip the CDs that aren't organized to my liking?

Appreciate any guidance you can offer....

Thanks,
Peter

jsalk

« Reply #44 on: 17 Dec 2015, 10:06 am »
Peter -

If dbPoweramp is putting some CDs in a folder called "Beatles, The" and some in a folder called "The Beatles," I assume it is also putting each specific CD in a folder inside of those folders.  If that is the case, simply copy over the CD folder in the main folder you do not want to the one you want to use and then delete the empty original folder.  When the StreamPlayer re-indexes the files, they should all be in the folder you want.

You may also be able to change the Artist name before you actually rip the files.

Of course, there is a possibility I am not fully understanding what is happening here.  But the solution should be quite simple. 

Just for your information, in the Profile section (lower left section) of dbPoweramp, here is the code I use for the Naming item:

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[album]\[track] [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album]\[track][] - [title]

This automatically sets up my folders the way I like (although you may experience the same situation as it collects this data from the way the CD is listed.

I hope this helps.

- Jim

Saturn94

« Reply #45 on: 3 May 2016, 02:33 am »
When do you anticipate the website will be updated with details about the new Salkstream II Mini and the Salkstream III Roon Ready version?

Thanks.

jsalk

« Reply #46 on: 4 May 2016, 03:14 pm »
When do you anticipate the website will be updated with details about the new Salkstream II Mini and the Salkstream III Roon Ready version?

Thanks.

After AXPONA, we've been swamped.  I'll try and get some new pages up in the next day or two.

- Jim

Saturn94

« Reply #47 on: 5 May 2016, 12:52 am »
Thank you. :)

audio.bill

« Reply #48 on: 12 May 2016, 07:13 pm »
Looks like the site has been updated with info on all three versions of the StreamPlayers: http://www.salkstream.com/

jsalk

« Reply #49 on: 12 May 2016, 07:48 pm »
Looks like the site has been updated with info on all three versions of the StreamPlayers: http://www.salkstream.com/

Boy, you are fast! I just put the pages up.

- Jim

Saturn94

« Reply #50 on: 12 May 2016, 11:58 pm »
The new site looks great.  I'm particularly interested in the new Mini model.

A couple questions...

In the comparison chart there's no mention of a Wifi option.  Is wifi no longer offered on any of the models?  If still available as an option, what's the price?

The comparison chart does not mention an S/PDIF output (optical?) being available on the Mini, but the PDF document for the Mini mentions it as an option?  Is an S/PDIF output available on the Mini?  If so, what's the price?

Thanks Jim. :)

ctsooner

« Reply #51 on: 13 May 2016, 02:58 pm »
Great thread.  Thanks.  I wanted to know how I can add my CD collection to your server/streamer.  What ripper is recommended?  Would one of the bulk Blu Ray rippers work as good as a single and if a single one, which one do you recommend with this unit. Can you rip directly to the unit using an app?  Sorry, very new to all of this still.  Looking at Melco N1ZH or Aurender N100H. I'm using the Empirical Audio OSDE/SE with their short block USB device that cuts the 5V on the USB line.  Would this be compatible?  Thanks.

jsalk

« Reply #52 on: 13 May 2016, 03:07 pm »
The new site looks great.  I'm particularly interested in the new Mini model.

A couple questions...

In the comparison chart there's no mention of a Wifi option.  Is wifi no longer offered on any of the models?  If still available as an option, what's the price?

The comparison chart does not mention an S/PDIF output (optical?) being available on the Mini, but the PDF document for the Mini mentions it as an option?  Is an S/PDIF output available on the Mini?  If so, what's the price?

Thanks Jim. :)

Saturn -

We decided to eliminate the WiFi option.  It's not that it didn't work, it's just that we have no control over an owners wifi capabilities.  And if they have a weak wifi signal or have too much traffic over wifi, dropouts can occur and we get support calls related to issues beyond our control.  Ethernet is the best.  If it is not available where the StreamPlayer is located, a powerline ethernet adapter or wifi ethernet bridge are the way to go.  We have even had some customers decide to install a dedicated router just for their audio system.  None of these are expensive options.

As for an S/PDIF option on the StreamPlayer Mini, I modified the .pdf to customize them for each model.  I forgot to remove the S/PDIF option from the Mini.  It is not available on that model.  Sorry.  I corrected the .pdf file.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #53 on: 13 May 2016, 03:17 pm »
Great thread.  Thanks.  I wanted to know how I can add my CD collection to your server/streamer.  What ripper is recommended?  Would one of the bulk Blu Ray rippers work as good as a single and if a single one, which one do you recommend with this unit.

Any ripper will work, but dbPoweramp is the best ripper bar none. It does error checking in a totally unique way.  Checksum strategies on CD's are not the same as with computer programs on optical disks.  The error-correction protocols on a CD are much more rudimentary as they were developed before computers started using optical discs and a one-bit error in a music file was not as critical as a one-bit error transferring a computer program (which could be critical).

When you rip with dbPoweramp, it compares your rip to the rips of everyone else who has ever ripped that same track.  If the overwhelming majority of rips end up with the same checksum, it is assumed the rip is good.  If your's differs from the majority, it is assumed your rip is defective and you have the option of ripping again.  Simple but effective.  Kind of ingenious if you ask me.

Can you rip directly to the unit using an app? 

Yes.  The StreamPlayer shows up as a network device on your computer just like any other device.  So you can see the StreamPlayer's music folder (directory) and write to it just like any other disk on your computer.  So you can move files back and forth by simply copying them to the music folder.

With dbPoweramp, you can set the program to save to a specific directory in a specific way.  So, for example, you can decide you want all your files set up in a folder of each individual artist, inside of which you want a folder for each individual cd, inside of which you want all the music and album art files.  You can also tell dbPoweramp what drive (StreamPlayer) and folder (music) you want it save to.

So when you insert a cd into your computer, all you have to do it hit "rip" and it will automatically be ripped to the StreamPlayer in the exact place and format you requested.  It doesn't get much easier.

Sorry, very new to all of this still.  Looking at Melco N1ZH or Aurender N100H. I'm using the Empirical Audio OSDE/SE with their short block USB device that cuts the 5V on the USB line.  Would this be compatible?  Thanks.

The specifications on Steve's DAC say it is USB Class 2.0 Audio compliant.  There is no reason it should not work.

I hope this answers your questions.

- Jim

gregcss

« Reply #54 on: 13 May 2016, 05:02 pm »
I dont use Tidal but curious in it and the StreamPlayer. Looks like with the Gen2 I could use the Tidal app on an Android and have it play through the Gen2. Gen3 has Tidal built it, but only works if one has a Roon account as well. If not they would need to use android app to play through the Gen3. Are these statements correct?

Saturn94

« Reply #55 on: 13 May 2016, 05:16 pm »
Saturn -

We decided to eliminate the WiFi option.  It's not that it didn't work, it's just that we have no control over an owners wifi capabilities.  And if they have a weak wifi signal or have too much traffic over wifi, dropouts can occur and we get support calls related to issues beyond our control.  Ethernet is the best.  If it is not available where the StreamPlayer is located, a powerline ethernet adapter or wifi ethernet bridge are the way to go.  We have even had some customers decide to install a dedicated router just for their audio system.  None of these are expensive options.

As for an S/PDIF option on the StreamPlayer Mini, I modified the .pdf to customize them for each model.  I forgot to remove the S/PDIF option from the Mini.  It is not available on that model.  Sorry.  I corrected the .pdf file.

- Jim

Yuck.....not what I was hoping.

I'd really like to simplify my system, not add components/complexity (more things to go wrong).  Wiring for Ethernet isn't an option with my house layout.

I certainly understand your reasons, but none the less I'm disappointed.  Back to the drawing board for me.....:(

jsalk

« Reply #56 on: 13 May 2016, 06:13 pm »
I dont use Tidal but curious in it and the StreamPlayer. Looks like with the Gen2 I could use the Tidal app on an Android and have it play through the Gen2. Gen3 has Tidal built it, but only works if one has a Roon account as well. If not they would need to use android app to play through the Gen3. Are these statements correct?

Yes, you can always use Tital via Airplay to either the Gen II or Gen III StreamPlayer.  The Gen III player would give you the option of incorporating Roon/Tidal in the future if you did not want to use it now. The Gen III StreamPlayer will work fine without using Roon.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #57 on: 13 May 2016, 06:15 pm »

I'd really like to simplify my system, not add components/complexity (more things to go wrong).  Wiring for Ethernet isn't an option with my house layout.

I certainly understand your reasons, but none the less I'm disappointed.  Back to the drawing board for me.....:(

Well, in our last home I was in the same boat, so to speak.  I used a powerline ethernet adapter to link to my dedicated home theater (streaming audio and video) and never had an issue.  And they don't cost much either.  Just a thought...

- Jim

PSB Guy

« Reply #58 on: 13 May 2016, 07:04 pm »

The new powerline networking kits that meet the newest HomePlug AV2 1200 or 2000 standard seem to have it perfected. I recently replaced my setup, and the installation was fast and easy, and has been working flawlessly for months now.

Cornelis

toddc2

• Fritos? No thanks, we prefer shoes...
« Reply #59 on: 13 May 2016, 07:08 pm »
Well, in our last home I was in the same boat, so to speak.  I used a powerline ethernet adapter to link to my dedicated home theater (streaming audio and video) and never had an issue.  And they don't cost much either.  Just a thought...

- Jim

I recently did this, I'm getting 170 Mbps in my basement listening room over the power line ethernet adaptor. Way better than the 70 Mbps I'm getting off my WiFi extender in the basement, so it's worth a try.