Need Cap recommendation for an Altec Model 19

gab

Need Cap recommendation for an Altec Model 19
« on: 22 Jun 2015, 06:54 pm »
Jeff - I am helping a buddy redo his crossover for his 1977 Altec Model 19 speaker.

4 caps in the tweeter section: 4uF, 6uF, 8uF, and 16uF
1 cap in the woofer section: 21uF

Will use Alpha inductors and Mills resistors for the rest of the crossover.

Budget for the caps is $200 (for 2 crossovers) give or take.

Recommendations?

gab

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
Re: Need Cap recommendation for an Altec Model 19
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2015, 02:53 pm »
Gab,

I'm not a miracle worker.  A $100 an XO won't do it.  I'm assuming that your following someone else's network?  I see you are using a 4uF.

If mt budget was that limited for this great speaker, I would consider the following.

-Stay with all the factory components, and just replace the caps.
-Mundorf Supremes (a good deal) where possible (where budget allows) in the high pass.  Start with the series caps closest to the driver.
-Electrolytic if budget dictates for the low pass shunt.
-Resistors would be next budget allowing.

gab

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2015, 03:19 pm »
Gab,

I'm not a miracle worker.  A $100 an XO won't do it.  I'm assuming that your following someone else's network?  I see you are using a 4uF.

If mt budget was that limited for this great speaker, I would consider the following.

-Stay with all the factory components, and just replace the caps.
-Mundorf Supremes (a good deal) where possible (where budget allows) in the high pass.  Start with the series caps closest to the driver.
-Resistors would be next budget allowing.

Thanks Jeff. Yes the crossover I was going to build was the Zilch Z19 version. I'll run the numbers on the Mundorf's. What cap would you recommend for the C3 (21uF) in the low pass shunt? And if we can't swing the Mundorfs, whats the next best cap to use IYO. Thanks

gab

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2015, 03:55 pm »
What cap would you recommend for the C3 (21uF) in the low pass shunt?

If it were purchased from me, it would be this one: http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/mundorf-cap-plain-22uf-70vdc-50vac-p-4074

The none budget selection would be a custom wound Sonicap G1 (price the 22uF).

And if we can't swing the Mundorfs, whats the next best cap to use IYO

My first knee jerk would be to leave the speaker alone.  However, I assume there are some dried up caps in there.  There are only three reasons to open this speaker.  To repair it, to improve it, or both.  Expecting to improve it beyond what might result via repair on a limited budget is unrealistic.  So, we are looking at repair/maintenance.  Electrolytic caps will work.  Besides being the utilitarian solution, they are generally warm.  The problem is that most cheap film caps are bright.  Too bright for those speakers.