Edit: Bought a VPI Prime

ernest787

Edit: Bought a VPI Prime
« on: 12 May 2015, 06:30 pm »
Ok. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a turntable upgrade. I'm going the used route and have found a classic 1 and a scoutmaster for about the same price. The scoutmaster has the classic platter upgrade, comes with the sds, outer ring clamp, and the 10.5i tonearm.

The scoutmaster is also local so I wouldn't have to pay shipping.

I guess my question is if the price is equal on the two tables which would you prefer?
« Last Edit: 22 May 2015, 11:41 pm by ernest787 »

BobM

Re: VPI classic vs upgraded Scoutmaster (advice)
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2015, 06:35 pm »
The inclusion of an SDS does it for me.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2015, 08:40 pm »
Classic one doesn't require an SDS; in fact, the Westfields say you're better off spending your money elsewhere. It's a hard call though, you certainly get more for your money with the Scoutmaster and SDS, but the Classic is the better turntable.

Doc

ernest787

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2015, 09:01 pm »
Yeah.  I'm pretty torn right now.  I keep going back and forth on it.  I've wanted a Classic for awhile and was dead set on that being my next upgrade but all the extras with the Scoutmaster make that seem like a really good deal.  I didn't mention the Scoutmaster also comes with the cover and counter intuitive  as well.  Not a deal maker/breaker by any means, but just more icing on the cake.

Any major sonic differences in Classic versus the Scoutmaster with those updates? 

Minn Mark

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2015, 11:07 pm »
I own a Classic I and am very happy with it. I would suggest you be honest with what you're looking for. By that I mean : honestly ask yourself if you are the type that really enjoys fussing with your set-up: VTA, tracking force, adjusting speed, etc etc.  If you want a really trouble-free set-up, the Classic is fabulous.  I do not have a periphery ring, but that's also something that ,unless you really have many cherished but warped discs, you may use  a time or two, then realize it's more trouble than its worth, unless that's your thing.

I recommend the Classic. :thumb:

Cheers, and Good Luck,

Mark

SteveRB

« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2015, 02:51 pm »
The price of the out ring has gone up. Buying it new is probably half the cost of a used Classic. I've had an Aries 1, HW19(miii), and a Classic. I currently own the Classic and the best part about it is the rock solid barring and platter.

I found the ring clamp to be invaluable. Even if you're not in the habit of using it on every LP for every spin, it locks nicely into the Classic platter below adding more mass to the outside of the platter. That equals better momentum and speed stability.

The Scoutmaster w/ Classic platter/barring, SDS AND outer ring AND Classic arm... seems like the way to go. I'd save the shipping costs too and put that money aside. You can always upgrade later by selling the Scoutmaster AND keep all the accessories... 

brooklyn

« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2015, 04:59 pm »
I don’t think you could go wrong with either setup, for me it always
comes down to simplicity and esthetics. Good luck with your choice..

ernest787

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2015, 06:29 pm »
Ok. Just an update. The classic sold before I made a decision. Talked to the dude with the scoutmaster and couldn't work out the price.

Was bummed I missed out and then was surfing soundstage direct and saw they had a VPI Prime b stock with acrylic platter for $2500.

Welllllllll. I bought one with a 2m black.  :D

Minn Mark

« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2015, 06:59 pm »
Congrats ernest,   :thumb: :thumb:

Please continue, or start a new thread ,with your impressions of the VPI Prime with the acrylic platter.

Regards,

Mark

ernest787

Re: Edit: Bought a VPI Prime
« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2015, 11:46 pm »

There she is!

The rest of my components.

I will post listening impressions later.  I'm on my 3rd LP now and I'm in love. 

brooklyn

« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2015, 04:29 am »
Congrats on the new table… She’s a real beauty…

Minn Mark

« Reply #11 on: 23 May 2015, 03:01 pm »
+1

Very cool. Nice looking system.  :thumb: :thumb:

Mark