Essence pricing

steve f

Re: Essence pricing
« Reply #60 on: 25 Jul 2015, 12:28 am »
All I can say is fascinating.
I'd be curious to see plots of Linkwitz' current offerings, and a full range line source for comparison's sake. I don't expect that any of the round horns or single driver type designs would do as well in a "normal" room as they do in the chamber.
Roger Sanders builds a heck of a speaker, doesn't he? And that's his smaller one. If any more plots of other planar speakers are published, I'd love to see them.

steve
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2015, 04:14 pm by steve f »

Phil A

« Reply #61 on: 5 Aug 2015, 04:53 pm »
btw - had someone follow-up with Essence today.  He (Bob) does not have any of the speakers in his house (which he works out of) at this time.  Just sold his last pair.  He is going to let us know when he has them back so we can take a trip over there and give a listen.

steve f

« Reply #62 on: 5 Aug 2015, 06:24 pm »
Thanks Phil,

Since production is supposedly from the Netherlands, and Europe is the primary market, it could be several weeks until any are available. Bob has made a mistake in not keeping a pair on hand for demonstrating.

steve

PS: I wonder how many are imported at a time? A container?

Phil A

« Reply #63 on: 5 Aug 2015, 06:50 pm »
Thanks Phil,

Bob has made a mistake in not keeping a pair on hand for demonstrating.

steve

I agree (and I'd think that he would have a system with them all the time - even I have multiple systems and I'm not an audio dealer/distributor for anything).  I sent the info to another Space Coast Audio Society member about a couple of weeks back (I know he would be up for a listen) and he called me today to tell me he had a business meeting in Tampa (which is a ride for us but not all far from Essence) and wanted to know if I would go and hang out for a couple of hours and then we would go to listen to them. I advised him to ask if they had a pair for demo and what music formats he could support.  He then emailed me that there was not a pair on hand.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #64 on: 5 Aug 2015, 10:05 pm »
No sense in going there to look at where the speakers USED to be!

steve f

« Reply #65 on: 5 Aug 2015, 10:15 pm »
He's not the only one to do that. I have a buddy who builds speakers and sells them online. Until recently, he rarely was set up to demo.

Bob needs a lot of word of mouth promotion as he hasn't been to shows, or participated in forums. If his speakers are good, especially at a price point, he will do fine, but he's losing sales now. His competition isn't King Sound, Martin-Logan, Quad, Sanders Sound, or Soundlab. Those ESL brands are well established. Their clientele will use and recommend their wares. He is up against Magnepan, and other planar magnetic brands. People who probably would buy MMGs up to 1.7i are his potential sales. If I were launching a new concept, I'd run a tour. Getting in front of friendly groups like this one could bring strong reviews, and also recommendations to improve the product. I keep calling Essence the best speaker nobody's heard of.  That's my take.

steve

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #66 on: 5 Aug 2015, 10:59 pm »
I would say a Planar Shoot Out is in order.
How do they stack up against the other flat boys?

Phil A

« Reply #67 on: 6 Aug 2015, 12:44 am »
He's not the only one to do that. I have a buddy who builds speakers and sells them online. Until recently, he rarely was set up to demo.

Bob needs a lot of word of mouth promotion as he hasn't been to shows, or participated in forums. If his speakers are good, especially at a price point, he will do fine, but he's losing sales now.

steve

I agree.  Was going to go tomorrow.  When he has them back in, I'll also ask what media he can play so I can bring something to hear.  If he wants to bring them to my place when I have a Space Coast Audio Society get together, I can probably swap out speakers I have in a secondary system (like Ohm Microwalsh Talls) so people can hear something to A/B against.  I don't know if this was just unusually bad timing but to me if it isn't, he is not all that serious.  The guy who was going to go with me is not in the market this second but he is really serious and a potential buyer.  I just lent him a preamp to try and as soon as he gets a few things squared away (like a preamp and he has two sets of Monoblock amps and I have to help set-up his Rel sub), I can honestly see him making a move down the road.  If a demo isn't available in the near term (like a couple of months), I'm sure that is not going to encourage his interest.

steve f

« Reply #68 on: 6 Aug 2015, 04:17 am »
A flat panel shootouts. Great idea especially in the $2K range. Maggie 1.7, Essence ESL, and how about a commercial open baffle. Maybe even get a small Linkwitz speaker. That would make for a phenomenal audio society meeting.

Crossoverless

• Restricted
« Reply #69 on: 13 Aug 2015, 05:09 pm »
I asked Bob a question about flat panel electrostatics having a narrow sweet spot and this is what Bob told me  :o

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=399617840226296&id=161639017357514&comment_id=407429846111762&notif_t=feed_comment

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #70 on: 13 Aug 2015, 06:51 pm »
I asked Bob a question about flat panel electrostatics having a narrow sweet spot and this is what Bob told me  :o

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=399617840226296&id=161639017357514&comment_id=407429846111762&notif_t=feed_comment

The reply is correct but I suspect it didn’t answer the question you had in mind.  Technically, all speakers have an infinitely small sweet spot but you hardly notice it with wide dispersion speakers.  Flat panels, on the other hand, project a planar wave front which becomes increasingly directional for wavelengths shorter than the panel’s width—giving a sweet spot that’s so pronounced you have to hear it to appreciate just how much.  Wide flat panels give amzingly precise imaging at their focus but the highs fall off a cliff as you move out of the sweet spot --- wonderful for solo listening not so much for entertaining guests.

I may be wrong about the Essence panels but from the posted photos they look to be physically segmented and I would guess they are electrically segmented as well.  If electrically segmented, the higher frequencies would be emitted from the narrow vertical section only, while lower frequencies would be emitted from the wider sections-- such that the highs spread out to give a wider sweet spot than you could get with an un-segmented panel of same width. 

My own 10.5” wide DIY wire-stator ESL panels are physically segmented into eleven discrete 12-wire groups which are then electrically segmented as six discrete groups (a center group + 5 paired groups on either side).  My panels can be electrically switched for narrow or wide dispersion modes via feeding the wire groups discreetly thru a resistor/capacitor delay line (as Quad with their ESL63).     

In the narrow dispersion mode all wire groups receive the same audio signals at the same time; causing the diaphragm to project a planar wave front that doesn’t spread out.  In the wide dispersion mode, the delay line is switched into the signal path such that the center wire group receives a full-frequency signal and adjacent wire-groups receive sequentially delayed signals having progressively less treble; causing the diaphragm to move from the center-outward to project a cylindrical wave front that spreads out to a much wider sweet spot. 

If you have an opportunity, you might ask Bob if the Essence panels are electrically segmented. 

Crossoverless

• Restricted
« Reply #71 on: 13 Aug 2015, 10:39 pm »
The reply is correct but I suspect it didn’t answer the question you had in mind.  Technically, all speakers have an infinitely small sweet spot but you hardly notice it with wide dispersion speakers.  Flat panels, on the other hand, project a planar wave front which becomes increasingly directional for wavelengths shorter than the panel’s width—giving a sweet spot that’s so pronounced you have to hear it to appreciate just how much.  Wide flat panels give amzingly precise imaging at their focus but the highs fall off a cliff as you move out of the sweet spot --- wonderful for solo listening not so much for entertaining guests.

I may be wrong about the Essence panels but from the posted photos they look to be physically segmented and I would guess they are electrically segmented as well.  If electrically segmented, the higher frequencies would be emitted from the narrow vertical section only, while lower frequencies would be emitted from the wider sections-- such that the highs spread out to give a wider sweet spot than you could get with an un-segmented panel of same width. 

My own 10.5” wide DIY wire-stator ESL panels are physically segmented into eleven discrete 12-wire groups which are then electrically segmented as six discrete groups (a center group + 5 paired groups on either side).  My panels can be electrically switched for narrow or wide dispersion modes via feeding the wire groups discreetly thru a resistor/capacitor delay line (as Quad with their ESL63).     

In the narrow dispersion mode all wire groups receive the same audio signals at the same time; causing the diaphragm to project a planar wave front that doesn’t spread out.  In the wide dispersion mode, the delay line is switched into the signal path such that the center wire group receives a full-frequency signal and adjacent wire-groups receive sequentially delayed signals having progressively less treble; causing the diaphragm to move from the center-outward to project a cylindrical wave front that spreads out to a much wider sweet spot. 

If you have an opportunity, you might ask Bob if the Essence panels are electrically segmented.

No, the panels are not electrically segmented.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=407552039432876&id=161639017357514

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #72 on: 14 Aug 2015, 01:11 am »
Even so, the design is certainly innovative and intriguing. 

The photos appear to show vertical spacers in the panel which would physically segment the diaphragm into discreet mechanical sections, graduating from wide to narrow.  And the literature states that the spacers are tapered so as to taper the diaphragm-to-stator spacing (d/s).   The narrow sections no doubt are the areas with the smallest d/s.  Whereas the wider sections of greater d/s are optimized for bass, the narrow sections are optimized for treble. 

Considering that field strength falls off quadratically with increasing d/s (halving the d/s gives 4X greater sound output), the narrow/close d/s segments would project treble energy with very high efficiency compared to the wider less treble-efficient sections.  And the greater treble projecting froom the narrow sections (being less wide than the treble wavelengths and less constricted by the much weaker treble output from adjacent wide sections) would tend to spread out more so than would occur with conventional unsegmented flat panel.   

I will speculate that, in effect, the Essence panels are to some degree acoustically segmented and may thus be somewhat less directional than a conventional flat panel of same width.  In any case, the Essence is very impressive; especially considering their slow price.

I would love to audition them.

Crossoverless

• Restricted
« Reply #73 on: 16 Aug 2015, 09:20 pm »
Here's a video on how Essence prints the circuit path on the Essence Electrostats  >>Look what Bob says about this below the video there....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7ZzV1iDRE&feature=youtu.be

steve f

« Reply #74 on: 17 Aug 2015, 02:09 am »
But what is being printed? Was that a stator? A diaphragm? Why different layers for pos and neg? They are making my head hurt. I get they are using inks for conducting, but what do the stators look like? How are they spaced? Until one of our forum friends gets to audition a pair, we won't know. If Bob doesn't keep a sample pair around, and members get to "kick the tires" nobody is going to buy them.

Edit: I forgot to add "friendly rant over." I just wish the speakers were available for hands on experience.
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2015, 05:07 am by steve f »